Hilarious "Dieting" idea from the past, does anyone remember this? Please share yours too.

Options

Replies

• Carol_
    Carol_ Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I wrapped Saran Wrap around my middle. It was supposed to 'melt away the fat.' ha ha
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Oh my god. i am dying here.

Cottonballs? The MOUTHFEEL! No!

Anyone remember those limits weight loss cookies?

And, of course, the whole 'cookie diet' plan.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    If you work out before you break fast, you burn double the calories.

Shake Weights

Any time I'm told something for eating an "unhealthy" food.
  • Shells918
    Shells918 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    amykay9377 wrote: »
    Oh, there was the time that I tried Slim-Fast. I made it and thought, you know what would make this taste better? Ice cream. So I made a SF milkshake. Defeated the entire purpose of SF. And it still didn't taste all that good.

I got these Nestle Sweet Success shakes in the early 90s. They were so good I decided to drink 2 at a time, and made them into a weight gainer...not the best idea. I put on 20 pounds pretty fast!
  • fitpal4242
    fitpal4242 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    In high school, my friend's older sister went on 'the ice cream diet', where all she ate was ice cream. I believe she lost some weight- my guess is that if you eat that much lactose, it's going to start passing through quickly eventually. Now, I love ice cream, but I can't imagine there's anything healthy about that...
  • fitpal4242
    fitpal4242 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Of course, if we look to current diets, I find the paleo thing kind of silly for weight loss. Great idea in general to eat less processed food, but calories add up quickly if you're stuffing yourself with meat and nuts all day.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    I remember when my dad thought we'd give up home-cooked meals, and lose weight on Lean Cuisine instead. That lasted a whopping single night before everyone decided Mom should continue to make dinner like she always had. It is one of several reasons why Dad isn't allowed to make dinner anymore.
  • dolcemaria81
    dolcemaria81 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Barbs2222 wrote: »
    I don't know what made me remember this but it made me laugh, so I thought I'd share. It was 1973 and I was 13 years old. What we did was put food color in Everything. So for instance if you where having mashed potatoes for dinner you'd color them blue. The premise being if something looked wrong or awful you'd eat less of it. But you have to picture it. My mom's one of those stay at home mom's who cooked dinner for us every night, (picture June Cleaver here) So I go to the dinner table and fill up my plate with food, go back to the kitchen and color everything so it's all just wrong, and return to the table. My family is like, "What the H*ll!" I can't believe they let me eat with them for the next few days. Everyone at my Jr. high was doing this including some of the teachers. Does anyone remember this fad or was it just my odd school?

I hope someone else has one of these odd stories to share. I feel like laughing today :smiley:

I'll check back in a few minutes to see if anyone else has a story. Right now I have to go wrap myself in Saran Wrap.

I never heard of such thing but Im going to try it on bad food lol
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    It's kind of interesting to note that a lot of these fads actually have a small nugget of truth at their core. It's like someone read a small footnote somewhere about an interesting but insignificant bit of weight loss trivia, and saw their million dollar idea.

The cold starch diet was probably based on resistant starch research, and the food coloring one on studies of colour and appetite (Blue being the least appetizing). Sensa actually does have (very) theoretical roots in neuroscience. Of course, all of these things combined would still make almost no discernible difference in weight loss.

On the plus side, the thought of sprinkling brain altering chemicals on my cold, blue tinted cream of wheat makes me realize my childhood could have been a lot worse.
  • Madwife2009
    Madwife2009 Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    amy_kee wrote: »
    In the 70's, my family went on a beet diet. All we were supposed to eat with this diet was canned beats, out of the can. Yuck! We didn't last too long with that diet..ha ha.

Other bad dieting advice is that diabetics used to be told they couldn't have sugar. In 1992, the American Diabetes Association changed this to where diabetics could have sugar in their meal plan.

Good lord! The beet pee in your house must have been stunning!

This brought back a memory of my uncle - a terrible hypochondriac - had vividly coloured urine the day after eating loads of beetroot. He rang my mother in a real panic about it until she calmly explained that it was due to excessive beetroot consumption (and no, he wasn't trying to diet).
  • sc487
    sc487 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    No a diet, but remember the electrical impulses to get all the affects of working out without the pain or time of going to the gym?
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,890 Member
    Options
    I had a friend tell me she was on an Atkins diet, or some variation of that.

She had a hunk of dried out steak for breakfast and a larger hunk of dried out steak for lunch.

I remember her s-l-o-w-l-y making her way through those pieces of steak, chewing and chewing and chewing ... and I remember me thinking, "I just couldn't!!"

That lasted maybe 2 weeks.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    This thread is hilarious!

Not so much a fad diet, but fad diet helper: my family had a little electronic thing you attach to the fridge door and every time you open the fridge, it OINKed like a pig a few times or it said, "eating again, fatty!?" at you. It didn't last long, that I recall. Lol.

Ok now that's funny
  • JaneSnowe
    JaneSnowe Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »

She had a hunk of dried out steak for breakfast and a larger hunk of dried out steak for lunch.

I remember her s-l-o-w-l-y making her way through those pieces of steak, chewing and chewing and chewing ... and I remember me thinking, "I just couldn't!!"

So weird. Why dried out? Did she like it well done?
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,890 Member
    Options
    JaneSnowe wrote: »
    Machka9 wrote: »

So weird. Why dried out? Did she like it well done?

I guess.

Personally, I hate steak. It's awful. But if I am going to eat it, it has to be really well done. So I get that ... but it also seemed to be the toughest cut of steak available. Took her ages to eat it. Or maybe she really didn't like steak that much either? But somehow she was under the impression that all she could eat was meat.
  • neldabg
    neldabg Posts: 1,452 Member
    Options
    Oh, that's hilarious! xD My parents would never let me do that.
    I was highly misinformed about weight loss when I was young. No joke, I believed that weight loss was eating less and exercising for a short period of time, and then once you got thin, you would be able to go back to regular habits and be fine. Ha! I tried this weird soup diet once that I found online where I'd just eating soup for every meal or something. Yeah. I did not make it to the end of the week. I think I lasted less than three days,, and I didn't even follow the guidelines very well.