I hate breakfast

Options

Replies

• misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,767 Member
    Options
    If you don't want to eat it, don't. I don't.
  • TheHappyLoser
    TheHappyLoser Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    OK now you all make me feel older than dirt. I heard that I would have to eat at least 3 times a day, better would be 5 times a day (small portions of course). That would curb on the metabolism. Is that yesterday's news as well?

Is that my generation that came up with, "Breakfast is the most important meal of the day?"

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Yesterday's news
  • TheHappyLoser
    TheHappyLoser Posts: 95 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    I was firmly encouraged to start with breakfast at the same time every day in my diabetic classes. Are you diabetic? No? Then eat as you please then.

What typically is the first thing you eat in a day?

I eat lunch. A salad or a lean cuisine dish. A vegetable sandwich, or fish. Fruits as dessert?

No, I am not diabetic. I am fairly healthy besides being overweight and slow as a snail.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    @MyReflections I was as sedentary as you and now I run 5K's regularly. I was T2 diabetic but the symptoms are in remission from significant weight loss.

The trick to regaining mobility is persistence and baby steps. Exercise enough to get you puffing every day and as it gets easier, set new goals.

I am fairly confident you are fine starting your day with a salad or a Lean Cuisine. (I am assuming your lean cousins are live and inedible).
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    Giving up breakfast was the best thing that ever happened to me...enjoy :)
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    You can edit your settings to give meals different names.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    OK now you all make me feel older than dirt. I heard that I would have to eat at least 3 times a day, better would be 5 times a day (small portions of course). That would curb on the metabolism. Is that yesterday's news as well?

Is that my generation that came up with, "Breakfast is the most important meal of the day?"

I think it was kellogs who coined that phrase :wink:

BTW I don't eat breakfast either.

• ogtmama
    Options
    The cereal that was literally invented to stop kids from the evils of self-pleasure? Lol
  • jgnatca
    Options
    Indeed, @eveandqsmom

"In 1894, Dr. John Harvey Kellogg, the superintendent of The Battle Creek Sanitarium in Michigan and an Adventist, used these recipes as part of a strict vegetarian regimen for his patients, which also included no alcohol, tobacco, or caffeine. The diet he imposed consisted entirely of bland foods. A follower of Sylvester Graham, the inventor of graham crackers and graham bread, Kellogg believed that spicy or sweet foods would increase passions.[2]

This idea for corn flakes began by accident when Kellogg and his younger brother, Will Keith Kellogg, left some cooked wheat to sit while they attended to some pressing matters at the sanitarium."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corn_flakes
  • SassyMommasaurus
    SassyMommasaurus Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I hate breakfast too, I've pretty much stopped trying lol.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    Breakfast is my favourite meal of the day but it's not nearly as bland as Dr. Kellogg's, LOL.
  • ogtmama
    edited June 2016
    Options
    We wouldn't want anybody going blind or insane :wink:
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Then...don't eat breakfast. Or...if you're hungry in the morning and don't want breakfast food then eat a sandwich. No where is it written that only breakfast foods are eaten in the morning. That would be sad because I prefer my pancakes at dinner time.
  • 85Cardinals
    85Cardinals Posts: 733 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Indeed, @eveandqsmom

"In 1894, Dr. John Harvey Kellogg, the superintendent of The Battle Creek Sanitarium in Michigan and an Adventist, used these recipes as part of a strict vegetarian regimen for his patients, which also included no alcohol, tobacco, or caffeine. The diet he imposed consisted entirely of bland foods. A follower of Sylvester Graham, the inventor of graham crackers and graham bread, Kellogg believed that spicy or sweet foods would increase passions.[2]

This idea for corn flakes began by accident when Kellogg and his younger brother, Will Keith Kellogg, left some cooked wheat to sit while they attended to some pressing matters at the sanitarium."

Kellogg was a total nutjob. There's a hilarious book and then movie based on his life, The Road to Wellville. Book is much better than the movie, although the movie has Anthony Hopkins playing Kellogg.

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    OK now you all make me feel older than dirt.
    There are plenty of people here who are older than you (myself included). You're downright young by comparison to some!

I heard that I would have to eat at least 3 times a day, better would be 5 times a day (small portions of course). That would curb on the metabolism. Is that yesterday's news as well?

Another old wives' tale which has no basis in fact. Eat however many times you want, whenever you want. As long as you're maintaining a caloric deficit (eating less than you burn), you will lose weight. Your metabolism works 24 hours a day, 7 days a week - it has plenty of work to do and doesn't go to sleep on you if you don't feed it every x number of hours.
  • ACSL3
    ACSL3 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    robininfl wrote: »
    I know what you are going to say, "It's the most important meal of the day," but I just don't like it. I do eat breakfast at the weekend, but then it's more like a brunch. A mix between lunch and a late breakfast.

I have never eaten breakfast, not as a child and not as an adult. I drink something, either tea or water and I am ready for the day. I am just not hungry before lunchtime.

I feel like I am wasting calories because I make myself eat breakfast now. It makes me feel tired and bloated. I don't 'care for it.

Am I the only one who doesn't like to eat breakfast?
    Do I really have to include breakfast in my meal plan?

I don't care for cereals, I am not crazy for eggs and I eat fruits as snacks during the day.

Do you exercise? If so do you do it in the morning or evening? Just wondering because lately I've been hating to eat breakfast as well, seems to make me tired but I prefer to exercise in the morning and not sure if it's a good idea to work out on empty stomach.

What time do you eat lunch usually?

Not the OP but I work out in the morning without eating, it's no problem as long as I eat supper the day before. I do eat breakfast, but it's small and not until hours after working out (I work out at 5:30 AM and eat breakfast around 9:30 AM at work)

Thanks for sharing! How many calories do you eat for breakfast.. and what are you usually eating?

I also tend to work out in the morning on an empty stomach. In fact if I go running with food in my stomach it actually makes me nauseated. I'm a little different from @robininfl in that I don't eat after working out until lunch generally. I find if I work out really hard, I might have a GU or something similar (I'm a runner so it tends to be something like those gels that you can take running with you and are usually ~100 Cal).

My advice would be to just go with how your stomach feels. If you feel tired/lightheaded/nauseated after working out then maybe try eating something small and go from there to figure out how much you should eat and when. :smile:
    Indeed, @eveandqsmom

Kellogg was a total nutjob. There's a hilarious book and then movie based on his life, The Road to Wellville. Book is much better than the movie, although the movie has Anthony Hopkins playing Kellogg.

Sounds interesting - I'm going to add that book to my list :)
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,203 Member
    Options
    I loathe breakfast. I eat usually two, sometimes even only one meal a day. I've lost nearly 80 lbs since August. Don't like it, don't eat it. :-)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Indeed, @eveandqsmom

I love that book. Should watch the movie, even if its not as good.

I also love breakfast, but went for years not eating it (didn't used to love it--started loving it when I weirdly became a morning person) with no negative effect on my weight, hunger, or health.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Don't eat it then. Imagine that.