June (2016) Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I have not posted in a long time as I was getting stressed out trying to keep up with the sheer volume of posts. Felt wrong to post if not keeping up with the posts of others. Anyways long story short. I am still running, did my first 10k in many years at the weekend in unusual scorching heat. Did it within the time I expected (though a bit gutted the weaving meant I did about an extra 400m or I might have done a bit better). Hope you are all fit and healthy and everything going well. I will now try and keep up with you again. Next challenge for me - within next week find a good 10k training plan 4x per week with 2 weekend runs including the long one!

@Amandajs232 I've given up trying to keep up with every post. I keep up with as much as I can, but I don't sweat it any more if I have to miss a few days worth of posts. I'd love to keep up with each and every tidbit, from each and every poster, but it's simply impossible. Often I'll catch up on my phone but because it's a PIA to respond on my phone, I don't call out to every who just had a race, or a PR, or a cool story.

On the other side, I need to be more mindful of what and I how I post so I'm not needlessly adding to the volume. I try to put all my congrats, comments, and other shout-outs in a single post, rather than post a single shout-out in a single post.

And contrary to how it may seem at times, I am trying to get better at being more concise with most of my posts.

So try not to let it bother use. We're a friendly laid-back group and if you miss out on some of the convo because you stepped out of the room for a bit, that's fine.

@poppetsmaster sorry to hear about your near collision, but sure enjoyed your telling of the tale. I awesomed your post, but only because of the way you told it, not for what happened.
    @katharmonic I'm all about the snot rocket. Blow one side, blow the other, and wipe whatever remains on my shirt or glove. I do look behind me before blowing though, so I don't hit anyone else. I actually enjoy a good snot rocket.
    @moyer566 CONGRATSSS!!!! What beautiful bride you make!
    @celiaslater prayers are with you

Interesting posts on the running vs. relationships theme. I'm not at risk of dying (that I know of) and I'm not at risk of divorce (that I know of) but I am finding out I need to be careful when I run and how much I talk about it. I'm pretty much done telling the fam when I sign up for races. I'll just put it on our calendar and go. Planning a trail run tonight, strategically planned to happen during my son's soccer practice just a half mile from some nice trail.

ETA: lower 90's here this weekend, let's see if I can really embrace the heat or if I'm all talk. We are planning on sailing all weekend so I may use that as an excuse for not running.
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    @louubelle16 Congrats on running the entire hill, great job! If you find out how you got a sunburn on your knees, you'll have to tell me. Did you do knee lifts all the way, so they were closer to the sun? :tongue:

@Elise4270 Sorry that the foot is still troubling you. November is still far in the future, though - if you do a lot of cycling now, until you can run as far as you want again, I'm sure you'll be fine!

@greenolivetree That scenery is really beautiful, thanks for sharing! Regarding the Garmin elevation: does you model have a barometic altitude sensor? If yes, did the weather change during your flat run? Changes in air pressure can fool the barometric elevation measurement.

@ceciliaslater All the best for your surgery, hope you report back with good news soon!

@moyer566 All the best for your marriage, the pictures are truly beatiful! I love the dress (and the combination of dress and shoes in the last photo ^^)

@PoppetsMaster Outch! That fall sounds horrible! Some car drivers are kitten idiots... I hope the knee isn't seriously hurt.

@caitlinrn83 Congrats on the first day of the 10k program, great job!

@Zom_bunny Bring a can of deodorant or perfume and start spraying it at that guy whenever necessary. Maybe he gets the hint, and if not, maybe the perfume smell will annoy him drive him away, then at least you'd have gotten some revenge. ;-p

--

Yesterday was the first time in three weeks that I had a "proper" long run. It was really nice - but I miss the cooler spring days! 22°C (~71°F) and sunny, nice for sitting in the sun and reading, a bit too warm for running for my taste! My water bottle only lasted for the first two hours, after that, I started struggling a bit. Last summer my longest long runs were finished in that time, so I didn't have that problem. That's actually one thing which would be easier if I ran in a city, then I could just buy more water during the run! Maybe I'll have to start carrying a water bottle in addition to the fuel belt, although I really don't like running with a bottle in my hands...

exercise.png
  • caitlinrn83
    caitlinrn83 Posts: 178 Member
    Options

Yesterday was the first time in three weeks that I had a "proper" long run. It was really nice - but I miss the cooler spring days! 22°C (~71°F) and sunny, nice for sitting in the sun and reading, a bit too warm for running for my taste!

Can I borrow some of your "too warm" weather???? At 0415 this morning, it was already 83 degrees and 80% humidity. Fall, please hurry up.
  • Mathsrunner
    Mathsrunner Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    1/6: 4.5 Miles
    3/6: 3.4 Miles
    5/6: 3.7 Miles
    6/6: 3.4 Miles

exercise.png

• greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    @_nikkiwolf_ I'm pretty sure my vivoactive bases elevation on GPS. My Fitbit tends to go wacko giving me "floors" climbed on weird weather days. I was literally running right next to a higher trails so I think the GPS could've thought I was up there? Oh, that just made me think to check my Fitbit. It gave me only 6 floors while the vivoactive gave me 390ft elevation. I got 20 floors on Friday when I purposely ran some hills. So yeah, it just didn't add up.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    I'm alive! They did a nerve block from the knee down, so I won't know how bad it hurts until tomorrow. They say all went well, though. Ice,, elevation, and rest for the next few days.

Great to hear! Hopefully tomorrow it'll be surprisingly pain free.

@_nikkiwolf_ Thanks, I also figured if I can keep the cardio up, my legs will manage a half.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I have not posted in a long time as I was getting stressed out trying to keep up with the sheer volume of posts. Felt wrong to post if not keeping up with the posts of others. Anyways long story short. I am still running, did my first 10k in many years at the weekend in unusual scorching heat. Did it within the time I expected (though a bit gutted the weaving meant I did about an extra 400m or I might have done a bit better). Hope you are all fit and healthy and everything going well. I will now try and keep up with you again. Next challenge for me - within next week find a good 10k training plan 4x per week with 2 weekend runs including the long one!

You can not respond to the group and still post your runs and experience! It nice sometimes just to sit back and let it roll! Nice to see you're still out there.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Goal 120 km

4 - 6 km
    6 - 21.4 km

Total 27.4 km

That kicked my *lemur*; last two km were painful and once home I laid on the the floor panting for a while. I'm recovering now #oldman.

It was a total ego run. I had 16 scheduled but it was pretty and I wanted to see if I could get a HM in. I did. ugly, ugly HM. I'll likely pay tomorrow too.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options
    I'm alive! They did a nerve block from the knee down, so I won't know how bad it hurts until tomorrow. They say all went well, though. Ice,, elevation, and rest for the next few days.

Heal fast!
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options
    I love those guys, @stoshew71 Deliverance music and all!
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Date Miles today. Miles for June
    6/1 5 miles - 5 << Another recovery run.
    6/2 6.5 miles - 11.5
    6/3 REST DAY (unplanned but necessary)
    6/4 13.5 miles - 25
    6/5 REST DAY
    6/6 8 miles 33
    6/6 4 miles 37 << Daily Double

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    UAH 8K - 3/6 <<< 34:33 3 in AG
    Oak Barrel HM - 4/2 <<<< 1:38:00 3 in AG
    Bridge Street HM - 4/10 <<< 1:36:33 3 in AG
    PEO-AVN Team Day 5K - 5/4 <<< 19:10 (2.9 mi) 1 in AG 5 OA
    Cotton Row Run 10K - 5/30 << 44:57 PR
    Firecracker Chase 10.2 miler 6/25
    Rocket City Marathon - 12/10

• HSM2673
    HSM2673 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Have been doing C25K my goal for this month 50miles.
    6/1 2 miles
    6/2 2 mil
    6/5 3 miles
    Running later today
  • 9voice9
    9voice9 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    9voice9 wrote: »
    Got back to the car, 9.44 miles. He was right, I prob could've/should've done 10.
    Next time I won't be so nice.

And...now you're in my head again. :wink:
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    It's a beautiful day outside and the trails are finally OPEN!! So I put on those brand spanking new Hoka Stinsons, filled my Amphipod, squirted myself stinky with DEET and headed out to the Shawnee Mission Park trails.

I planned on 6.2 mile-ish route starting on the Violet trail near the dam (affectionately called VioleNt by some) heading up on the west side to the Red trail and back down Violet on the other side for a loop.

Not too far in I had a good scare nearly rolling my ankle. So I just kept focusing on staying upright figuring I might not have been paying enough attention. Then a bit later another close call and I stopped for a bit to walk to make sure I was OK. I was allright so I stsrted running again beginning to wonder if it was the shoes. With the 3rd near ankle roll I felt a slight twinge in my lower back. Now I was getting pissed off. I seemed to be able to still run without pain so I kept on. A little after my Garmin chirped about the first mile my foit rolled again this time sending me tumbling off the trail down a hill into the brush. Figuring I certainly did something to hurt my foot I got up slow and found my feet and legs were fine. I shared some of my skin with a kind rock from my left hand and hit something really good on my upper left arm leaving a nice mark on my shirt and maybe a bruise for later.

With that I stopped my Garmin and started anew, this time to walk back. These shoes have a death wish. I even had a near issue on the walk back.

When I emerged back into the civilized world I tried running up a paved trail to see if maybe these shoes would feel better on roads. I thought they felt too squishy and my back reminded me it might be unhappy. That's the problem with back muscles. They won't talk to you at first, saying "I'm fine", but in reality it is plotting the hours and days before it decides to paralyze you in terrible pain. So I decided it would be wise to just leave my back alone and let it process things and hope for the best.

Needless to say I am taking these shoes back. Maybe I'll give some @PoppetsMaster type shoes a try just to see how that goes. It sure can't be worse.

6/1 - 8 brutal miles
    6/2 - 4 crappy miles
    6/3 - 3.1 lovely, fast, and hilly miles
    6/4 - 13.1 wonderful, moderate effort, hilly miles
    6/5 - Rest
    6/6 - 1.1 mile trail fail

29.3/225 miles

exercise.png

2016 races (this list is subject to change at the posters whim):
    4/9 - Rock the Parkway half marathon (Kansas City, MO) 2:30:17.6 new PR
    4/16 - Garmin Wickedly Fast half marathon (Olathe, KS) 2:28:39.52 new PR
    4/23 - Heroes for Hope half marathon (North Kansas City, MO) 2:19:14 but was only 12.5 miles
    5/1 - Buffalo Bell Stampede half marathon (Leavenworth, KS) 2:25:06
    5/14 - Running with the Cows half marathon (Bucyrus, KS) 2:17:38.4 new PR
    6/2 - Hospital Hill 5k 7pm PRE-RUN (Kansas City, MO) 33:10
    6/3 - Hospital Hill half marathon 7am RE-RUN (Kansas City, MO) 2:39:42
    7/23 - Psycho Summer Run Toto Run 50k (Kansas City, KS)
    9/25 - Broadway Bridge half marathon (Kansas City, MO)
    10/15 - Kansas City Marathon 26.2 (Kansas City, MO)
    11/5 - Jenks half marathon (Jenks, OK)
    11/6 - Kansas half marathon (Lawrence, KS)
    11/12 - Longview half marathon (Kansas City, MO)
    11/13 - Gobbler Grind half marathon (Overland Park, KS)
    11/19 - White River half marathon (Cotter, AR)
    11/20 - Pilgrim Pacer half marathon (Lenexa, KS)
  • 9voice9
    9voice9 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    01-Jun: 3.28 miles
    02-Jun: 6.88 miles
    03-Jun: 6.89 miles
    04-Jun: 7.75 miles
    05-Jun: <Life Day>
    06-Jun: 9.44 miles
    07-Jun:
    08-Jun:
    09-Jun:
    10-Jun:
    11-Jun:
    12-Jun: <Life Day>
    13-Jun:
    14-Jun:
    15-Jun:
    16-Jun:
    17-Jun:
    18-Jun:
    19-Jun: <Life Day>
    20-Jun:
    21-Jun:
    22-Jun:
    23-Jun:
    24-Jun:
    25-Jun:
    26-Jun: <Life Day>
    27-Jun:
    28-Jun:
    29-Jun:
    30-Jun:

exercise.png

So I didn't do the 5K that was on the calendar for last Friday. It was just too hot still at 7 PM to even think about it. Besides, evening races call for a lot of extra planning and schedule coordination with the fam.

This is vacation week, so I'm not really sure how many miles I'm gonna be able to put behind me. OTOH, I have the opportunity to run in Savannah (GA) and Charleston (SC) as long as I am there. So yay for new routes!

Upcoming Races:
    11-Jun: Rumble on Wartown 5K, CGTC
    25-Jun: Cornerstone 5K, Byron *OR*
    Xtra K for the Kids 6K, ACE, Macon
    04-Jul: Peachtree Road Race 10K, Atlanta, GA
    13-Aug: Apple-a-Day 5K, Macon
    05-Sep: Labor Day Road Race 10K
    17-Sep: Joshua's Wish 5K
    24-Sep: Georgia Golden Olympics 5K
    22-Oct: S.C.A.R.E. 5K, Macon
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    @moyer566 When you said Changed into Comfy Shoes I expected to see Runners

@poppetsmaster Feeling your Pain. I have had little twitchs but nothing that has kept me out of my shoes for any real time ( strained calf was my worst layup ) now dealing with a nasty Torn Calf Muscle/Ligament attachment point below the Left Knee. Not a lot of fun. Climbing stairs is still uncomfortable.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    6/1: 5 miles
    6/2: 6.4 miles
    6/3: Rest
    6/4: Lazy
    6/5: 9 miles
    6/6: 5 miles

I wanted to run with my 6 am coffee crew today, but due to some mix-ups with my prox card for my building, if I'd have left I wouldn't have been able to get back in until I got a temp card at the office when it opened at 9 am. So I slept in instead to avoid being locked out of my apartment and vowed to run later. AND RUN I DID! 5 miles, a bit faster than I'd meant to run, and my afternoon snack left me with an awful side stitch for the last 1.5 miles. But then I remembered I had a bunch of popsicles in the freezer awaiting my arrival and that put some pep in my step!

121 posts since I last checked on here... oh boy, do I have some catching up to do! I totally neglected the forum this weekend as I was wrapped up binge-watching The People Vs. OJ Simpson. I'm 7 out of 10 episodes in and dying to finish it ASAP (even though WE ALL KNOW the outcome).

exercise.png

Upcoming Races:
    6/11: Pacers Princeton Halfway Half (Princeton, NJ)
    7/4: A 4th of July race somewhere!
    9/11: Lehigh Valley Via Marathon (Allentown, PA)
    11/20: Philadelphia Marathon (Philly, PA)

• kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    @moyer566 Great pictures and congrats on being a married lady now!!