June (2016) Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom. I'm taking it day by day. Will see how I feel Thursday morning. I want to run well on my Saturday race, and I do t think cutting an extra day will really throw off my training...I can already run the distance needed for my HM and next weeks a big week so extra rest does sound good
  • 5BeautifulDays
    5BeautifulDays Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    Did strength training and 4.5 slow treadmill miles today since I was at the gym. Watched the first half of "How to Train Your Dragon." Want a dragon. Will settle for browsing airbnb and planning a virtual trip to northern Europe...

exercise.png
  • mrs_madison_keane
    mrs_madison_keane Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    exercise.png
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Anybody else read the thread in reverse? I always start at the most recent post and read backwards until I find something familiar. LOL

Had to install a new modem and router last night which sucked away so much of my time, talking with the internet provider, getting all devices signed in to the new wifi with new password, and trying to figure out why my dvd player in the bedroom wouldn't stream my precious Netflix and YouTube on the new signal :( Finally at 8pm started my pilates and got 38 mins done (I also stream Fitness Blender YouTube workouts on this dvd player) and then the whole thing crashed again and I had to watch Netflix on my phone which was a pain because then I could only do one thing at a time. I apparently am not capable of just watching a show without also browsing the internet on my phone :-/

Anyway, it's now Tuesday and I am of course questioning this idea I had to skip my Tuesday run and see if my tight knee issue clears up. Skipping Tuesday means Mon-Thurs no running because I don't usually run those days. It's only one 3 mi run skipped but it seems like such a big deal because it's 4 days off. Haha.

I should try out the LiveTrack thing on Garmin and see if that eases my husband's mind with me running longer distances. But I guess you have to send a link each time? Annoying annoyance ;) Too bad it's not automatic. I left home at 4:50 Sunday and we agreed I'd be home by 6:30. I had 35 min roundtrip driving time involved and the rest to run. I was at about mile 6 of 7 and he texted me. I could've waited to answer him but I got out my phone and managed to text back without stopping. I was in my cool down anyway so I wasn't worried about it messing me up.

Sometimes I think I should get one of those ID bands to inform anyone that I'm asthmatic in case I should be in distress.....

@Elise4270 Enjoy your time off :)

@katharmonic Good luck with your race!

• 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    I should try out the LiveTrack thing on Garmin and see if that eases my husband's mind with me running longer distances. But I guess you have to send a link each time? Annoying annoyance ;) Too bad it's not automatic. I left home at 4:50 Sunday and we agreed I'd be home by 6:30. I had 35 min roundtrip driving time involved and the rest to run. I was at about mile 6 of 7 and he texted me. I could've waited to answer him but I got out my phone and managed to text back without stopping. I was in my cool down anyway so I wasn't worried about it messing me up.

Sometimes I think I should get one of those ID bands to inform anyone that I'm asthmatic in case I should be in distress.....

@greenolivetree
    Yes, you need to send a link each time using Garmin's LiveTrack. That's one of the reasons I prefer Glympse. WIth Glympse I can set up an icon on my phone home page which is automatically set up to send my wife the link to follow me for a certain period of time (Up to 4 hours). It also has a low power mode which only shares my location when someone is actually watching you, saving your battery. Garmin's LiveTrack may or may not have the low power mode...I don't now. Since Glympse is easier for me to use, and doesn't depend on my Garmin or bluetooth, I use it.

I've thought about getting one of those ID tags you put on your shoes. For now, I'm using my expired drivers license and trying to remember to bring that with me to help the first responders ID the body.

• checkthestove
    checkthestove Posts: 44 Member
    Options

exercise.png

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    we are about to go on a road trip for our honeymoon. so i bought these. i saw them on a blog i suscribe to. i think someone else posted these too but i think these will be great for trail runs too. or camping.
    epic wipes
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »

@greenolivetree
    Yes, you need to send a link each time using Garmin's LiveTrack. That's one of the reasons I prefer Glympse. WIth Glympse I can set up an icon on my phone home page which is automatically set up to send my wife the link to follow me for a certain period of time (Up to 4 hours). It also has a low power mode which only shares my location when someone is actually watching you, saving your battery. Garmin's LiveTrack may or may not have the low power mode...I don't now. Since Glympse is easier for me to use, and doesn't depend on my Garmin or bluetooth, I use it.

I've thought about getting one of those ID tags you put on your shoes. For now, I'm using my expired drivers license and trying to remember to bring that with me to help the first responders ID the body.

Skip and I both wear Road IDs and I love them. She wears hers all types of places (and me too) that you can't carry ID for any reason. She wore hers to 6 Flags over GA a couple weeks back in case something happened to her, it has her name, my phone, Allen's phone and brief medical info (she has asthma), I'm seriously allergic to Demerol so mine has that on it. I would highly recommend one. An EMT told me once not to get one that goes on my shoe because looking at my shoes won't be a priority if I'm hit by the car, they would definitely look for a medical alert bracelet though.

I'll have to look into the other apps you mentioned to track Skip. Like this morning, she went out to do 3 so by 25 mins I'm wondering where the heck she is, 40 minutes she strolls in...she decided to do 4 and was talking to the neighbor up the street. :smiley:
  • AdrianChr92
    AdrianChr92 Posts: 567 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    So many injuries lately. I'm feeling kinda bad that mine is almost gone. I should do something

Ahem

I forbid anyone else to injure themselves.

Date.....Distance..Avg hr/Pace/km
    June 1 - 6.1 km - 156/5:47
    June 2 - 5.5 km - 154/6:00
    June 3 - 5.0 km - 153/6:12
    June 4 - 7.0 km - 184/4:25
    June 5 - 6.0 km - 143/6:27
    June 6 - Rest
    June 7 - 6.0 km - 143/6:13

exercise.png

03/04: Bucharest 10k and Family run 48:28
    16/04: Color Run Bucharest
    17/04: Forest Run 5k 22:05
    04/06: Happy Run 5k 21:57
  • greenolivetree
    edited June 2016
    Options

@greenolivetree

Skip and I both wear Road IDs and I love them. She wears hers all types of places (and me too) that you can't carry ID for any reason. She wore hers to 6 Flags over GA a couple weeks back in case something happened to her, it has her name, my phone, Allen's phone and brief medical info (she has asthma), I'm seriously allergic to Demerol so mine has that on it. I would highly recommend one. An EMT told me once not to get one that goes on my shoe because looking at my shoes won't be a priority if I'm hit by the car, they would definitely look for a medical alert bracelet though.

I'll have to look into the other apps you mentioned to track Skip. Like this morning, she went out to do 3 so by 25 mins I'm wondering where the heck she is, 40 minutes she strolls in...she decided to do 4 and was talking to the neighbor up the street. :smiley:

This whole thing is reminding me of the days before cellphones when nobody freaked out because they couldn't contact you for an hour or two. LOL I remember as a teen leaving for long walks early in the morning and I'd write my mom a note and leave it on the kitchen counter, telling her what time I left :)

@7lenny7 and @skippygirlsmom Thanks for all the info and ideas!
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options

@greenolivetree

This whole thing is reminding me of the days before cellphones when nobody freaked out because they couldn't contact you for an hour or two. LOL I remember as a teen leaving for long walks early in the morning and I'd write my mom a note and leave it on the kitchen counter, telling her what time I left :)

@7lenny7 and @skippygirlsmom Thanks for all the info and ideas!

i used to leave in the morning and come back for dinner. no one thought a thing about it
  • str8bowbabe
    str8bowbabe Posts: 712 Member
    Options

exercise.png
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 I use the interactive Road ID. I wear it on my wrist. I have an extra ankle strap so I can wear it instead if I want. That was good for motorcycle rides.

I keep it on the gear shift in the car just in case of an accident.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    @moyer566 and @greenolivetree I know what you mean...out the door every morning and back when you either got hungry or the street light went on. My concern is if I'm knocked out (or God forbid Skip is) that they will know who to call. Of course I had a chip put in Skip the same time we chipped the dog :wink: I never worried about her until her friend was almost grabbed last year. A guy in a car followed her while she was running, then he pulled in front of her and stopped the car, she finally started to run through yards and jumped fences to get to her house. But he was so ballsy he was actually sitting in front of her house when she got there. How scary is that.
  • PoppetsMaster
    PoppetsMaster Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    DATE...............MILES...........TOTAL
    6/1.................BOYCOTTED ...0.00
    6/2.....................7.00.................7.00
    6/3.....................5.00...............12.00
    6/4...................10.00...............22.00
    6/5.....................6.25................28.25
    6/6...................REST................28.25
    6/7.....................3.00................31.25

exercise.png

exercise.png

2016 Races
    5/14: Glacier Ridge Ultra -- 50k (Portersville, PA)
    7/9: Buckeye Trail 50k -- 50k (Brecksville, OH)
    9/10: 1st Annual Possum Glory Endurance Race -- 50k (Northern Cambria, PA)
    10/1: Cloudsplitter 100 -- 100 Miles (Pine Mountain, KY)
    10/15: Buffalo Creek Half Marathon (Sarver, PA)

• greenolivetree
    Options
    You really do have to be careful. A local lady was stalked for awhile. Creepy old man would leave presents on the hood of her car while she was out trail running and then started approaching her and finally showed up at her house.

I got creeped out just like 2 weeks ago. There was a guy playing disc golf while I was running back and forth on a short stretch to stay in the shade and I thought he left. Until I finally got a whiff of cigarette smoke and realized he'd been sitting under the pavilion the whole time while I was running back and forth. I don't know how I didn't see him there. But freaked me out that I didn't know he'd been sitting there - I won't say watching me because I don't know that he cared, but well, he could clearly see me running and I was unaware.
  • ceciliaslater
    ceciliaslater Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    With surgery in 6 days, I'm out on running for the month. But, to say I participated:

Goal: 0 miles running
    Other Goals: Heal well; Lose the crutches; Lose the stitches and boot; Work on ROM (PT exercises daily, when approved).

Fighting the urge to get in one last short run before surgery... I've been off running for over a month now and the thought of two more months is making me a bit batty.

Lose the crutches - check! Dropped down to one this afternoon and was able to lose the other about an hour later. Feeling is finally coming back in my foot enough that I can walk on it. I still don't have full sensation back, as I can't feel the ice pack nor much pain at this point. I'll definitely be out of work for at least one more day, maybe longer depending on how I feel after the block finally wears off all the way.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @moyer566 and @greenolivetree I know what you mean...out the door every morning and back when you either got hungry or the street light went on. My concern is if I'm knocked out (or God forbid Skip is) that they will know who to call. Of course I had a chip put in Skip the same time we chipped the dog :wink: I never worried about her until her friend was almost grabbed last year. A guy in a car followed her while she was running, then he pulled in front of her and stopped the car, she finally started to run through yards and jumped fences to get to her house. But he was so ballsy he was actually sitting in front of her house when she got there. How scary is that.

Kitten! That's some scary stuff!
  • pshara
    pshara Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Took yesterday off. Finished my 4 for today.

exercise.png