What is a healthy weight (BMI) for a 6'1 medium framed guy?

Options
I am 6'1 and though maybe not large framed, definitely medium framed. My BMI currently is 29.8. If I get to my goal weight of 185, my BMI will be 24.4. Is that too near the border of the overweight category? 25 and above is overweight. Should I be aiming for 180 at 6'1? How should I go about this?

Thanks! :)

Replies

• MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Opinion - Baby steps.
    Reach that goal of 185 first.
    Small, achievable goals helps some people. (Everyone is different).
  • trjjoy
    trjjoy Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Body frame size isn't a thing. Rather go according to bodyfat percentage and not according to BMI.
  • jarablue
    jarablue Posts: 127 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    trjjoy wrote: »
    Body frame size isn't a thing. Rather go according to bodyfat percentage and not according to BMI.

How can I accurately measure bodyfat? Is there a test I can take?
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    jarablue wrote: »
    I am 6'1 and though maybe not large framed, definitely medium framed. My BMI currently is 29.8. If I get to my goal weight of 185, my BMI will be 24.4. Is that too near the border of the overweight category? 25 and above is overweight. Should I be aiming for 180 at 6'1? How should I go about this?

Thanks! :)

BMI has a range for a reason. 24.4 isn't less "normal" than say a BMI of 22 or whatever 180 would put you at.
  • southhamptonmike
    southhamptonmike Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I am 6' 185lbs with BMI 25.1. I wear a loose 36" pants. I can squeeze into a 34". My goal is to get into those 34s comfortably. I went from a XXL shirt to a L and 40 pants to 36. I feel I need to loose app. 5 more pounds. I started at 260 a year and a half ago. My goal then was 220 then changed to 190 and now 180. I think 180 is about right for me. I think 185 would be a good goal for you but I would take it one step at a time and shoot for 200lbs then go from there. I do belong to a gym and lift 5 days a week. I think I look pretty good for my age. I also feel good and my blood work is finally all good.

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    @southhamptonmike - you and I started at a similar place! Congrats on your success so far.
  • southhamptonmike
    southhamptonmike Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    @southhamptonmike - you and I started at a similar place! Congrats on your success so far.

• trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Body fat measurements are unreliable and inaccurate, even the DEXA scan has a variance of +/- 5%. Just go by what you see in the mirror rather than chasing imaginary numbers.
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    trjjoy wrote: »

yes it is. Not every person has the same bone structure. Body types (ectomorph, endomorph) aren't a thing, but two people who are both 6'1" may have different arm/leg lengths and different shoulder widths. This is part of why BMI has such a large range for each category.

As for a healthy BMI, while BMI isn't perfect a BMI of 24.9 is normal, and even over 25 could be healthy if you are muscular (typically requiring years of training). When I was 220lb (5'11") I thought 175lb (24.4 BMI) would be a good goal as it was my old college weight. After 1 year of weightlifting and losing weight and getting as low as 168lb (before going off the rails with vacations and stuff) I'm now aiming for 165lb before trying to put on some more muscle. However, the 165lb isn't based on BMI but on BF%. There is nothing wrong with aiming for the top of the BMI normal range and then re-evaluating along the way.

As for how to measure BF%, there are a few ways. To do it cheap just get a cheap set of calipers and a cloth tape measure. Use the Navy method (google) for the tape measure, and you can do a 3-point skin fold test for the other. Not perfect, but good enough for most. Combine that with what you see in the mirror and you should be able to gauge where you. You could even just skip knowing BF% and just go by the mirror if you wanted.