I hate breakfast

Options

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,140 Member
    Options
    I know what you are going to say, "It's the most important meal of the day," but I just don't like it.

Am I the only one who doesn't like to eat breakfast?
    Do I really have to include breakfast in my meal plan?

We are not going to say that.

No, you're not the only one.

No, you don't need to include breakfast in your meal plan.

I quit eating breakfast on weekdays in my late teens or early 20s. The first thing I eat in a day is about 10:30 am (right now! :) ) and it is usually a small amount of crackers and cheese or maybe a banana. About 100 cal.

The only times I have eaten something that resembled breakfast on a weekday was on the few days I cycled to work at one of my previous jobs. It was about 35 km each way, which took me about 1.5 - 1.75 hours each way. I would have a small glass of orange juice before I left home, and then 1-2 pieces of toast with cinnamon spread when I arrived at work at 8 am. I was hungry by the time I got there!

Now weekend brunches ... that's another matter entirely! Somewhere between about 11 am and noon on a weekend, I'll usually have toast with nutella and honey, or toast with cheese and cucumbers, or toast with hardboiled eggs ... or occasionally French toast. :)

AnvilHead wrote: »
    If you don't want to eat breakfast, don't eat it. Meal timing is irrelevant for weight loss, it's strictly a matter of personal preference (workout performance, satiety, etc.).

This ^^

• Machka9
    Options
    I heard that I would have to eat at least 3 times a day, better would be 5 times a day (small portions of course). That would curb on the metabolism. Is that yesterday's news as well?

Is that my generation that came up with, "Breakfast is the most important meal of the day?"
    Another old wives' tale which has no basis in fact. Eat however many times you want, whenever you want. As long as you're maintaining a caloric deficit (eating less than you burn), you will lose weight. Your metabolism works 24 hours a day, 7 days a week - it has plenty of work to do and doesn't go to sleep on you if you don't feed it every x number of hours.

What works for me is to keep nibbling all day long. I eat something every 1-2 hours. I also have a late lunch (2 pm) and a late dinner (8 pm) and I often wrap up my last snack about midnight.

So if you've also heard that we have to stop eating by 7 pm or something ... happily, that's not necessary either. :)

• imamomwifedaughter
    imamomwifedaughter Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way! I choke down a banana on my way to work in the car. And lots of tea☺ That's it til lunchtime.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    I heard that I would have to eat at least 3 times a day, better would be 5 times a day (small portions of course). That would curb on the metabolism. Is that yesterday's news as well?

Is that my generation that came up with, "Breakfast is the most important meal of the day?"
    Another old wives' tale which has no basis in fact. Eat however many times you want, whenever you want. As long as you're maintaining a caloric deficit (eating less than you burn), you will lose weight. Your metabolism works 24 hours a day, 7 days a week - it has plenty of work to do and doesn't go to sleep on you if you don't feed it every x number of hours.

What works for me is to keep nibbling all day long. I eat something every 1-2 hours. I also have a late lunch (2 pm) and a late dinner (8 pm) and I often wrap up my last snack about midnight.

So if you've also heard that we have to stop eating by 7 pm or something ... happily, that's not necessary either. :)

Yep, entirely personal preference. I'm just the opposite - I usually skip breakfast, have a fairly large lunch somewhere around noon - 1:00 and a big dinner (usually 1000-1200 calories) somewhere between 7:00 - 9:00 pm. Occasionally I'll throw a snack in somewhere, but multiple small meals/nibbling here and there just leaves me unsatisfied and hangry all day. Different things work for different people for different reasons, there's no "one size fits all" set of rules about when to eat.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    ACSL3 wrote: »
    robininfl wrote: »
    I know what you are going to say, "It's the most important meal of the day," but I just don't like it. I do eat breakfast at the weekend, but then it's more like a brunch. A mix between lunch and a late breakfast.

I have never eaten breakfast, not as a child and not as an adult. I drink something, either tea or water and I am ready for the day. I am just not hungry before lunchtime.

I feel like I am wasting calories because I make myself eat breakfast now. It makes me feel tired and bloated. I don't 'care for it.

I don't care for cereals, I am not crazy for eggs and I eat fruits as snacks during the day.

Do you exercise? If so do you do it in the morning or evening? Just wondering because lately I've been hating to eat breakfast as well, seems to make me tired but I prefer to exercise in the morning and not sure if it's a good idea to work out on empty stomach.

What time do you eat lunch usually?

Not the OP but I work out in the morning without eating, it's no problem as long as I eat supper the day before. I do eat breakfast, but it's small and not until hours after working out (I work out at 5:30 AM and eat breakfast around 9:30 AM at work)

Thanks for sharing! How many calories do you eat for breakfast.. and what are you usually eating?

I also tend to work out in the morning on an empty stomach. In fact if I go running with food in my stomach it actually makes me nauseated. I'm a little different from @robininfl in that I don't eat after working out until lunch generally. I find if I work out really hard, I might have a GU or something similar (I'm a runner so it tends to be something like those gels that you can take running with you and are usually ~100 Cal).

My advice would be to just go with how your stomach feels. If you feel tired/lightheaded/nauseated after working out then maybe try eating something small and go from there to figure out how much you should eat and when. :smile:
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Indeed, @eveandqsmom

"In 1894, Dr. John Harvey Kellogg, the superintendent of The Battle Creek Sanitarium in Michigan and an Adventist, used these recipes as part of a strict vegetarian regimen for his patients, which also included no alcohol, tobacco, or caffeine. The diet he imposed consisted entirely of bland foods. A follower of Sylvester Graham, the inventor of graham crackers and graham bread, Kellogg believed that spicy or sweet foods would increase passions.[2]

This idea for corn flakes began by accident when Kellogg and his younger brother, Will Keith Kellogg, left some cooked wheat to sit while they attended to some pressing matters at the sanitarium."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corn_flakes

Kellogg was a total nutjob. There's a hilarious book and then movie based on his life, The Road to Wellville. Book is much better than the movie, although the movie has Anthony Hopkins playing Kellogg.

Sounds interesting - I'm going to add that book to my list :)

Loved the book, read it!
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options

I don't care for cereals, I am not crazy for eggs and I eat fruits as snacks during the day.

It doesn't matter when you consume your calories or what you call your first meal of the day. If you are not hungry and are functioning well then wait to eat.
    It doesn't matter what food you eat at what time of day. You can eat a sandwich, soup or pizza in the morning if you dislike cereal or eggs.
    I dont like eating a lot for breakfast but I do get hungry before lunch time so I eat something at 8 AM. A 200-300 calorie breakfast is fine for me. I eat stuff like Greek yogurt, granola bars, cereal with milk, sandwich, dinner leftovers, fruit, or cottage cheese.
  • __leis__
    __leis__ Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I'm with you! I hate breakfast and most breakfast foods. Plus, if I eat at 7 or 8 I'm hungry ALL day. I think intermittent fasting is pretty popular here and I love it. I have coffee in the morning and water throughout the day, i eat a 3-500 calorie lunch around 1 and a 3-500 calorie dinner at 6. In between I snack to eat 1,600 ish total calories. It's working really well for me!
  • OneTwentyThree
    OneTwentyThree Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    leelou84 wrote: »
    I'm with you! I hate breakfast and most breakfast foods. Plus, if I eat at 7 or 8 I'm hungry ALL day. I think intermittent fasting is pretty popular here and I love it. I have coffee in the morning and water throughout the day, i eat a 3-500 calorie lunch around 1 and a 3-500 calorie dinner at 6. In between I snack to eat 1,600 ish total calories. It's working really well for me!

Do you exericise? If yes what time?
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,765 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way! I choke down a banana on my way to work in the car. And lots of tea☺ That's it til lunchtime.

If brekkie is that unpalatable, why eat it?

OP, if it helps, I was raised on the "breakfast is the most important meal of the day" stuff too. Even when I started using MFP properly I was trying and trying to widget a bowl of cereal into my calories to start the day.

Then I ran out of cereal one day. Forgot to get some more. Woke up in the morning with no cereal and decided to skip breakfast. At 11:30 I had an epiphany. By that time I was usually ravenous - so ravenous that I'd go hit up the vending machine, or lacked the willpower to resist the call of a big Maccas lunch. But on this day, with no breakfast, I wasn't hungry at all. I had my lunch, and I was fine.

Eating breakfast made me MORE hungry later on, rather than less. Sounds ironic, but it was my truth.
  • Machka9
    Options
    misskarne wrote: »

Eating breakfast made me MORE hungry later on, rather than less. Sounds ironic, but it was my truth.

That's how I am ... it's like eating breakfast flips an "ON" switch and I want to eat everything in sight all day long. But if I wait to eat something until 10:30 (or later some days), I'm OK.

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Then don't eat it.

It doesn't matter when we eat, but how much. Stay in deficit when wanting to lose weight and regardless of when you have your meals, you will still lose weight.
  • Cindy4FunFit
    Cindy4FunFit Posts: 2,732 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    misskarne wrote: »

That's how I am ... it's like eating breakfast flips an "ON" switch and I want to eat everything in sight all day long. But if I wait to eat something until 10:30 (or later some days), I'm OK.

I'm this way also. Breakfast tends to screw up my whole calorie budget for the day. I am a huge fan of brunch though- so after 10am is the sweet spot as well. Most of my life the thought of breakfast turned my stomach. Traditional morning foods tend also to be fatty and sugar-loaded. Put me in the crowd with you freaks for not liking breakfast.

• Cindy4FunFit
    Cindy4FunFit Posts: 2,732 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Indeed, @eveandqsmom

"In 1894, Dr. John Harvey Kellogg, the superintendent of The Battle Creek Sanitarium in Michigan and an Adventist, used these recipes as part of a strict vegetarian regimen for his patients, which also included no alcohol, tobacco, or caffeine. The diet he imposed consisted entirely of bland foods. A follower of Sylvester Graham, the inventor of graham crackers and graham bread, Kellogg believed that spicy or sweet foods would increase passions.[2]

This idea for corn flakes began by accident when Kellogg and his younger brother, Will Keith Kellogg, left some cooked wheat to sit while they attended to some pressing matters at the sanitarium."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corn_flakes

And if you eat cornflakes you're crazy. Ha ha. Nice share.
  • jakefitzgerald93
    jakefitzgerald93 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    if you just like to drink @MyReflections then drink a protein shake :) the earlier you eat the earlier your metabolism starts!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I never used to eat breakfast when I was fat

I now eat it every single day - I am now lean

the two are not linked

the only thing that is relevant is that I ate at a defecit over time, moved more and lifted heavy things up and put 'em down again

meal timing is irrelevant
  • Machka9
    Options
    if you just like to drink @MyReflections then drink a protein shake :) the earlier you eat the earlier your metabolism starts!

I don't think my metabolism stops. It would be a bit of a worry if it did.
  • 85Cardinals
    85Cardinals Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    My metabolism is like that Energizer bunny, baby. You can't stop it even if you try!
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,765 Member
    Options

Uh, if your metabolism ever stopped, you'd be dead.
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    Weight Watchers tried to make me eat breakfast (you won't feel nauseous once you get used to eating it! - not true). A doctor told me to eat 5 times a day. I did it for a while, and it didn't help at all.
    I eat when I'm hungry now - usually twice a day with very minimal snacking unless I'm going to workout after work. Lunch sometime between 12-2. Dinner at some point after work. It's personally much easier for me to lose weight and stay on track when I don't force myself to eat it.
  • Zella_11
    Zella_11 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I know what you are going to say, "It's the most important meal of the day," but I just don't like it. I do eat breakfast at the weekend, but then it's more like a brunch. A mix between lunch and a late breakfast.

I have never eaten breakfast, not as a child and not as an adult. I drink something, either tea or water and I am ready for the day. I am just not hungry before lunchtime.

I feel like I am wasting calories because I make myself eat breakfast now. It makes me feel tired and bloated. I don't 'care for it.

I hate eating breakfast too OP--so I don't! I save my calories for when I am hungry and do want to eat--sometimes that means a snack right before bed. Meal timing in and of itself--like eating breakfast right after you wake up--has no bearing on weight loss. Eat at a calorie deficit, and you will lose weight. The breakfast-being-the-most-important-meal-of the-day-mantra does not apply to me--my most important meal is dinner.