June bicycle bike cycle cycling challenge

1356714

Replies

  • narak_lol
    narak_lol Posts: 855 Member
    SoozeE512 wrote: »
    Casual rider here! Recently sprained my big toe so I got my bike out yesterday to keep me active while my toe heals. Did 2.5 miles yesterday and my injured foot handled it fine (yay!). It's been pouring rain all day today though, so I'll have to wait for better weather to get back out again.

    I am a casual rider too - just maybe the mileage is a bit more but am definitely casual/recreational! I go to cycling trips every now and then so have to keep the fitness level up or I can't "go out to play", if not I likely will just to sit on the couch and do nothing :D

    Wish you a speedy recovery to your toe injury.
  • SoozeE512
    SoozeE512 Posts: 439 Member
    narak_lol wrote: »
    SoozeE512 wrote: »
    Casual rider here! Recently sprained my big toe so I got my bike out yesterday to keep me active while my toe heals. Did 2.5 miles yesterday and my injured foot handled it fine (yay!). It's been pouring rain all day today though, so I'll have to wait for better weather to get back out again.

    I am a casual rider too - just maybe the mileage is a bit more but am definitely casual/recreational! I go to cycling trips every now and then so have to keep the fitness level up or I can't "go out to play", if not I likely will just to sit on the couch and do nothing :D

    Wish you a speedy recovery to your toe injury.

    Haha, just a bit more!

    Thanks for the well wishes! Whatever gets us up off the couch is a good thing! :)
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 21,834 Member
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Machka9 wrote:
    Review ...
    Distances include cycling + walking
    March: 489.8 km (304.3 miles) = 38 hours 4 min
    April: 491.94 km (305.6 miles) = 43 hours 6 min
    May: 361.81 km (224.8 miles) = 35 hours 50 min
    June: 569.53 km (353.9 miles) = 41 hours 53 min
    July: 230.7 km (143.35 miles) = 32 hours 45 min
    Aug: 211.3 km (131.3 miles) = 28 hours 8 min
    Sep: 306.7 km (190.6 miles) = 35 hour 2 min
    Oct: 441.82 km (274.5 miles) = 47 hours 43 min
    Nov: 660.21 km (410.23 miles) = 60 hours 41 min
    Dec: 499.91 km (282.8 miles) = 54 hours 56 min
    Jan: 864.79 km (537.35 miles) = 65 hours 36 min
    Feb: 470.53 km (292.4 miles) = 40 hours 39 min
    March: 917.73 km (570.2 miles) = 66 hours 13 min
    April: 417.83 km (259.6 miles) = 40 hours 23 min
    May: 267.09 km (165.9 miles) = 36 hours 10 min

    Last June is going to be hard to beat. Last June, we spent 3 weeks in summertime in Canada cycling and hiking etc. etc. This June, we'll be in the depths of winter here in Tasmania.

    However, I will make an attempt to get somewhere close to last June in terms of time or distance ... or both if I can manage it. :)

    June 2 - 45 min cycling indoors on my trainer

    ____________________________________________
    Totals:
    June Cycling Outside: 0 km (0 min)
    June Cycling Inside: 45 min
    June Walking: 6.1 km (70 min)
    June Stairs: 60 flights (48 min)
    June Time Total: 163 min = 2 hours 43 min
    June Distance Total: 6.1 km = 3.8 miles


    June 4 - 77.7 km (260 min)

    There's a major storm coming. They've been advertising it for days now ... supposed to roll in this evening. So we set off relatively early (11 am) in order to get this ride in before the storm arrived, and yet late enough so that the frost would have melted off the roads.

    It was about 10C where we live when we set off, and climbed up the Southern Outlet. That's about a 12 km climb and by the time we got to the top, we were both overheating because we had dressed for cold. I figured I'd be shedding clothes as soon as we got to the bottom of the descent.

    But when we got to the bottom of the descent, it was indeed cold ... it had dropped to 8C and then down to 7C while we were riding. That was combined with a little breeze and heavy mist all the way out making it feel quite chilly. I was wishing for winter cycling boots! My toe covers weren't quite up to the job.

    We turned around and fortunately the mist/drizzle stopped, and what little wind there was dropped off to practically nothing.

    We had thought about stopping for lunch, but opted to just keep riding back home instead. A hot shower and coffee were calling! So we kept cycling back to Hobart and then up and over Bonnet Hill.

    Our elevation profile shows one big climb at the beginning, then almost flat, and then another big climb at the end. Variety!

    Happily, we did the ride within randonneuring time. Mission accomplished!

    There were a number of cyclists out there today ... all bundled up and looking rather cold. So we weren't the only ones.

    Weekend adventures ...

    June 4 - 77.7 km cycling (260 min)

    June 5 - 2.8 km (20 min) running on treadmill!! Go me!! I usually reserve running for chasing buses and things like that!! :grin:
    3.6 km (40 min) walking on treadmill.
    1.5 km (10 min) rowing

    ____________________________________________
    Totals:
    June Cycling Outside: 77.7 km (260 min)
    June Cycling Inside: 45 min
    June Walking: 15.7 km (170 min)
    June Stairs: 90 flights (72 min)
    June Rowing: 1.5 km (10 min)
    June Time Total: 557 min = 9 hours 17 min
    June Distance Total: 94.9 km = 58.9 miles
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,859 Member
    Well that's my main challenge for June completed!

    Ditchling Devil Audax - 129 miles @ 14mph, 6,975 feet of elevation gain. SW London to the coast and back via seemingly every possible big hill.

    That was really tough, very warm day and think I got dehydrated as really struggled on the third quarter and had to take a long cake/water break (the cakes were epic!). Nothing left in my legs for the climbs so had to crawl up the later hills and make up time on the flat'ish sections.

    Was supposed to be 127 miles but thanks to Garmin taking me on a couple of detours it turned it into a new PB for me. Happy to get any new PBs at my advanced age. :smile:

    Here's a link if anyone is interested, brilliantly organised event and the route takes you through beautiful countryside.
    http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/16-888/
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 21,834 Member
    sijomial wrote: »
    Well that's my main challenge for June completed!

    Ditchling Devil Audax - 129 miles @ 14mph, 6,975 feet of elevation gain. SW London to the coast and back via seemingly every possible big hill.

    That was really tough, very warm day and think I got dehydrated as really struggled on the third quarter and had to take a long cake/water break (the cakes were epic!). Nothing left in my legs for the climbs so had to crawl up the later hills and make up time on the flat'ish sections.

    Was supposed to be 127 miles but thanks to Garmin taking me on a couple of detours it turned it into a new PB for me. Happy to get any new PBs at my advanced age. :smile:

    Here's a link if anyone is interested, brilliantly organised event and the route takes you through beautiful countryside.
    http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/16-888/

    Congratulations!! :grin:

    Next up is a 300K ... right?!? :wink: :grin:
  • SteveCro
    SteveCro Posts: 786 Member
    I'm in.... Goal 350 miles

    6/1 - 22.19 miles
    6/2 - 23.26 miles
    6/3 - 19.37 miles
    6/5 - 23.49 miles

    MTD - 88.31 miles

    Jan - 170.47
    Feb - 245.31
    Mar - 409.88
    Apr - 227.22
    May - 332.92

    YTD - 1474.10
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,859 Member
    Machka9 wrote: »
    sijomial wrote: »
    Well that's my main challenge for June completed!

    Ditchling Devil Audax - 129 miles @ 14mph, 6,975 feet of elevation gain. SW London to the coast and back via seemingly every possible big hill.

    That was really tough, very warm day and think I got dehydrated as really struggled on the third quarter and had to take a long cake/water break (the cakes were epic!). Nothing left in my legs for the climbs so had to crawl up the later hills and make up time on the flat'ish sections.

    Was supposed to be 127 miles but thanks to Garmin taking me on a couple of detours it turned it into a new PB for me. Happy to get any new PBs at my advanced age. :smile:

    Here's a link if anyone is interested, brilliantly organised event and the route takes you through beautiful countryside.
    http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/16-888/

    Congratulations!! :grin:

    Next up is a 300K ... right?!? :wink: :grin:

    Hmmm - I'm a broken man this morning and ten minutes to the station this morning was plenty! :smiley:
  • HopHead28
    HopHead28 Posts: 180 Member
    June: 52 mi // 3:45 hours

    YTD Totals -- 796.8 mi // 60 hours
  • crissygxx
    crissygxx Posts: 16 Member
    I am new to cycling so I am going to put my target at 1500km starting now! Will post once I have finished. :)
  • crissygxx
    crissygxx Posts: 16 Member
    Target: 1500km

    06/06 - 10km

    Total: 10km
    To go: 1490km
  • UmmSqueaky
    UmmSqueaky Posts: 715 Member
    Heyyyy, I've slacked off on posting these last few weeks, oops! Monthly goal is to try (once again, didn't do too hot in May) to do brick workouts 3 days a week - 2 days during the week while I bike home and then run after work, and one day on the weekend where I swim/bike/run. The lake near my house (which is also the location of my August tri) has open swim across the lake 3 days a week, so I'm going to try to get to that once a week as well.

    6/1 - 23 miles
    6/2 - 23 miles
    6/3 - 7 miles (swim/bike workout)
    6/6 - 23 miles - biking after an overnight storm is kind of like a video game - dodge the puddle, swerve around the fallen branches, avoid that fallen sign blocking the bike lane!

    Month to date: 76 miles
    Year to date: 1637 miles
  • SavannahS2016
    SavannahS2016 Posts: 343 Member
    June 1st: 7.7 Miles
    June 2nd: 8.3 Miles
    June 3rd: 0 Miles
    June 4th: 16.3 Miles
    June 5th: 5.8 Miles
    June 6th: 11.5 Miles

    Total: 49.6 Miles
    Goal: 200 Miles

    May 45.5 Miles

  • gentlygently
    gentlygently Posts: 706 Member
    Hi everyone. I'll join, with a simple goal of a bike ride atleast once a week.

    I'm a very casual cyclist nowadays with some dull health (and time!) constraints but I have done cycle commuting and quite a few touring holidays in the past. Now it's more about family fun with my 11 year old, and the odd trip with one of my cycling buddies. (Latest plan is to cycle the length of the Thames - across a number of weekends. She lives in Bristol and I live in London - so it (roughly!) joins us....). So I'm here for the joy of chatting to other cyclists, and reminding myself to get planning that Thanes trip.

    Anyway: week 1: family cycle ride to Beckenham Place Park. Daughter's new bike chain jammed on way home. Grrrr. But luckily v near home. So that'll be an unwanted trip to the bike shop then....
  • 35dollars
    35dollars Posts: 828 Member
    Wed 01 - 20.00
    Thu 02 - 20.00
    Fri 03 - 20.00
    Mon 06 - 20.00

    Total for MTD - 80 miles

    Finally, some warmer weather!
  • rosecropper
    rosecropper Posts: 340 Member
    Joining in!
    Way out of shape, so nothing exciting. Just getting back into a work commute again. My goal is to ride at least 3 times per week to work- starting tomorrow morning.
  • jlklem
    jlklem Posts: 259 Member
    Goal for June: 1400

    1st: 72.8 miles
    2nd: 74.8
    3rd: 22.2...needed an easy day
    4th: 72 miles...mailed my bike from Wisconsin to Georgia (I own 5 bikes so it's pretty easy)...got to ride even when on vacation!
    4th: 18.8 miles...second ride of the day
    5th: 2 rides again: 43.3 miles and 21.5
    6th: Easy day...tired from the past three weeks...1 hour on the spin bike...so 15 miles I would guess...150 watt average
  • Ohhim
    Ohhim Posts: 1,142 Member
    Just another ballpark commute today (including a very wet one home).

    6/1 - 33 miles
    6/3 - 17 miles
    6/5 - 31 miles
    6/6 - 11 miles

    Total: 92 miles
    Goal: 500 miles
    Remaining: 408 miles

    Upcoming Races:
    Ironman 70.3 Augusta - September
    Ironman Florida - November
  • 20yaneyd2001
    20yaneyd2001 Posts: 2 Member
    edited June 2016
    My goal for each month is 1000 mi. I have 380 mi so far this month and 62 mi just today. I ride about 5 hours every week day.
  • narak_lol
    narak_lol Posts: 855 Member
    Target 1300km
    1: 83.5km
    2: 0
    3. 57.9km
    4. 45.9km
    5. 116.1km
    6. 0
    7. 98.4km
    Running total: 401km
  • puglife456
    puglife456 Posts: 127 Member
    I finally got out for a ride last night! I've been doing a lot of walking and gardening lately which turned out to be an unintentional break from biking that I think I needed mentally and physically. Getting back into it yesterday felt great, and my passion for riding feels renewed!

    6/6- 15 miles

    June total: 15 miles
    June goal: 400 miles
    Remaining: 385 miles