Why I Post my Exercise and Gym Check-ins on FB

Options

Replies

• skinnyminikendra
    skinnyminikendra Posts: 187 Member
    Options

You all probably have that one friend on your friends list that ALWAYS checks into the gym or in vivid detail describes their daily workouts, maybe both. This person might get the same 10 likes or a few comments like "Get it", "Push yourself", and "Way to be" from the same 3 people. This person also probably posts their healthy meals and lets you know how many calories are in each serving and you probably get a little annoyed and wonder why they HAVE to post it. For a lot of you I am probably THAT friend. I've seen my fair share of "What if I told you that you can exercise and not post it to Facebook" meme and I just wanted to let y'all know why I post mine.

1. It motivates me. Knowing that I continually post about it in my head when I don't go to the gym or exercise my head tells me that someone noticed. It motivates me to keep going.

2. I motivate others. I know because I get snapchats, texts, messages, and in everyday conversations. People tell me that my facebook posts inspire them and motivate them to eat healthier and to exercise more.

3. Y'all are posting pictures of your kids that you're proud of. Your car that you love. Well, I don't have kids or a car that I'm proud of. I'm proud of myself and I'm loving my changes.

here you go, I edited the bitchiness out for you

Thanks
  • Saeraphine
    Saeraphine Posts: 2,793 Member
    Options
    Wow, between the time I started to write a response and finally posted, there's been quite a bit of negativity.

I feel it's totally okay to vent on here, which is what I see the original post as. It was written in the heat of the moment with anger and annoyance, and then posted for review to MFP where people may sympathize. She's giving herself a chance to calm down and decide how many feathers she wants to ruffle before posting on FB.

It's natural to want to share your passion with others, but I think since the FB posts are celebrating something positive in your life, the explanation post should stay positive in tone too. But I support you being you, so it's your call. Some of the people who read it will probably deserve a *kitten* you, but there will be others reading that don't deserve the negativity.
  • skinnyminikendra
    Options
    Nobody probably cares because they all have you hidden.

I hide all gym people from my wall because they annoy the F out of me and I work out all seven days.

Over-indulgence on one aspect of life is a telling sign of a severe lack of something else. It is a form of insecurity and you should be careful of not outing it. Wise up and post some cat pics.

I do post other things on my page. I think that's why it has me so irritated.
  • sadsongkrysy
    sadsongkrysy Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I actually get where you're coming from, I do the same on my Facebook, albeit I get likes from like 2 people but I don't care about the likes, it's more like a public accountability thing, I feel like I have more people to let down so iit's harder to fail. I also understand your reasons for wanting to post this kind of response, it's hard to stay confident and motivated when others are sneering at you, tagging you in hurtful memes, etc. I think this post is perfect for 2 reasons, 1 being it's honest and genuine, 2 it shows you are fighting to stay on track and motivated, your obviously a little annoyed/hurt by people's lack of acceptance of your gym posts, and in a social media era it can be hard when your being judged or put down by lots of people. All I can say is be true to yourself and ignore the hate coming from others. It's not drama to stand up for yourself/posts, it's not drama to make valid points, and it's true they can bugger off about it or unfollow you, simple. :)
  • skinnyminikendra
    Options
    The reason is because no one gives a *kitten* what you do. No one. Even people that pretend they do, by saying, "go get it, girl", really don't. No one cares. It's boring. And, it's inane. Keep it to yourself. Workout, keep your mouth shut, let the results say whatever they say. It isn't motivating anyone, nor you. It's showing off. It's self-centered.

Instead, try using facebook to not talk about yourself. Talk about how awesome other people are. Make yourself interesting by not talking about you. Try it. you might learn that more people will be attracted to your page, and to you. Self-centered people are boring and have no imagination. Our society is turning to be very self-centered, and it's so much so that people don't even see it anymore.

Let me ask you something. Do you post when you poop? Why not?

Doing a daily check-in at the gym, workouts, or progress are not the only things on my page... as stated above. I post plenty of other things on my facebook, including talking about other people and telling others how awesome they are. That's why I don't understand and wanted to post something.
  • SofaKingRad_AZ
    SofaKingRad_AZ Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Just do what you want to do. No worries. If you annoy people on Facebook, they'll just unfollow you. Be free! Be yourself! Free and fly like a bird! lift your wings! WEEEEE!!!!!!
  • skinnyminikendra
    Options
    I actually get where you're coming from, I do the same on my Facebook, albeit I get likes from like 2 people but I don't care about the likes, it's more like a public accountability thing, I feel like I have more people to let down so iit's harder to fail. I also understand your reasons for wanting to post this kind of response, it's hard to stay confident and motivated when others are sneering at you, tagging you in hurtful memes, etc. I think this post is perfect for 2 reasons, 1 being it's honest and genuine, 2 it shows you are fighting to stay on track and motivated, your obviously a little annoyed/hurt by people's lack of acceptance of your gym posts, and in a social media era it can be hard when your being judged or put down by lots of people. All I can say is be true to yourself and ignore the hate coming from others. It's not drama to stand up for yourself/posts, it's not drama to make valid points, and it's true they can bugger off about it or unfollow you, simple. :)
    aub6689 wrote: »
    It's a tough balance. I notice my friends that don't workout can easily get annoyed by my talking about planning a deficit for a cupcake or the enthusiasm I have for the gym, but I keep the gym off my facebook page because I have found facebook private groups of like-minded women. We post our fit checkins and gym rants and it is wonderful. If you feel the need to explain yourself, that worries me that you are getting more negative responses than positive ones and maybe you should consider having a group page where you can post without being attacked. However, if you choose to continue using your personal page, I would do so without explanation and just unfriend anyone who is negative about it in your life. You don't need that negativity or anyone that doesn't support you in your goals.

Thank you. It's nice knowing I'm not the only frustrated person
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Who cares???
  • investit
    investit Posts: 24 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I think it is great, I see so many political posts and other junk I wish would go away... posts about fitness and such doesn't bother me a bit.
    My fitness transformation center's Bootcamp REQUIRES I post every time I workout or have a weigh in.
  • jmule24
    jmule24 Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    LMAO - I knew this thread would deliver and it did!!!!

Social media was and still is the demise of mankind......... :trollface:
  • Becoming_A_Butterfly
    Becoming_A_Butterfly Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    Okay you guys,

I just wanted to get a few people opinions before I post this on my facebook page. I'm just curious what y'all think.

You all probably have that one friend on your friends list that ALWAYS checks into the gym or in vivid detail describes their daily workouts, maybe both. This person might get the same 10 likes or a few comments like "Get it", "Push yourself", and "Way to be" from the same 3 people. This person also probably posts their healthy meals and lets you know how many calories are in each serving and you probably get a little annoyed and wonder why they HAVE to post it. For a lot of you I am probably THAT friend. I've seen my fair share of "What if I told you that you can exercise and not post it to Facebook" meme and I just wanted to let y'all know why I post mine.

1. It motivates me. Knowing that I continually post about it in my head when I don't go to the gym or exercise my head tells me that someone noticed. It motivates me to keep going.

2. I motivate others. You may be wondering why I think this, I don't think, I KNOW it. I know because I get snapchats, texts, messages, and in everyday conversations. People tell me that my facebook posts inspire them and motivate them to eat healthier and to exercise more.

3. Because I'm proud of myself and I'm loving my changes. Y'all are posting pictures of your kids that you're proud of. Your car that you love. Your weekend plans the consist of booze. Well, I don't have kids or a car that I'm proud of. And my weekend plans usually consist of going to the gym at some point. I post it because I'm proud that I go, that I am no longer the lazy person that I was.

Finally 4. Because it's my facebook and I can pretty much post whatever the hell I want. You don't like it, unfollow me.

*Edited to get rid of the picture. It was in poor taste and I added it in my frustration*
    -also I would like to point out, I don't only post exercise things on my fb-

My opinion? I see a wall of text like that on FB, and I don't read it.

I read it here, though. And I'm not sure I see the point. Do people really need to be told they can unfollow or delete you if they don't like your posts? I'm sure most people already know that. I am actually not trying to be a smartass, but what would be the point of posting this on FB? What are you after?
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    Seriously, I post gym pictures and sometimes a video -- or progress picture or whatever else and those are usually some of my most "liked" posts on fb. But I don't see the need to do it every single day I go.

You can use facebook however you want, but you can't get annoyed when how you use it annoys the vast majority of your friends. You have to accept that you are being annoying. MFP is a great platform for sharing your daily workouts. FB is a great platform for the highlights.
  • skinnyminikendra
    Options
    odusgolp wrote: »
    I post memories of memories of timehop memories on the daily just to keep my passive aggressive friends blood pressure elevated.

why-do-you-have-to-make-so-much-drama.jpg

This is a great idea
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    Okay you guys,

I just wanted to get a few people opinions before I post this on my facebook page. I'm just curious what y'all think.

2. I motivate others. You may be wondering why I think this, I don't think, I KNOW it. I know because I get snapchats, texts, messages, and in everyday conversations. People tell me that my facebook posts inspire them and motivate them to eat healthier and to exercise more.

3. Because I'm proud of myself and I'm loving my changes. Y'all are posting pictures of your kids that you're proud of. Your car that you love. Your weekend plans the consist of booze. Well, I don't have kids or a car that I'm proud of. And my weekend plans usually consist of going to the gym at some point. I post it because I'm proud that I go, that I am no longer the lazy person that I was.

Finally 4. Because it's my facebook and I can pretty much post whatever the hell I want. You don't like it, unfollow me.

*Edited to get rid of the picture. It was in poor taste and I added it in my frustration*
    -also I would like to point out, I don't only post exercise things on my fb-

My opinion? I see a wall of text like that on FB, and I don't read it.

winner winner chicken dinner.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    The reason is because no one gives a *kitten* what you do. No one. Even people that pretend they do, by saying, "go get it, girl", really don't. No one cares. It's boring. And, it's inane. Keep it to yourself. Workout, keep your mouth shut, let the results say whatever they say. It isn't motivating anyone, nor you. It's showing off. It's self-centered.

Instead, try using facebook to not talk about yourself. Talk about how awesome other people are. Make yourself interesting by not talking about you. Try it. you might learn that more people will be attracted to your page, and to you. Self-centered people are boring and have no imagination. Our society is turning to be very self-centered, and it's so much so that people don't even see it anymore.

Let me ask you something. Do you post when you poop? Why not?

This is just about one of the dumbest things I have ever read. Clearly she said earlier it wasn't for attention. Therefore, she doesn't need to change how she posts for attention. Not everyone has to pretend to be someone else to get people to like them... But you can do that if it makes you happy. And she can use her FB to post about herself if it makes her happy.

Don't you guys even stop to think how negative and condescending you are? What is the point of being alive if we have to fit into everyone else's little bubble of what a person should and shouldn't do? Does posting about her life about what is important to her and makes her happy dilute your life and happiness in the least? NO!

OP post whatever you want. It is your life. Don't even address it, don't even care. Just unfollow and unfriend all the *kitten* who think they know better about what you should post. Be you, always. This world is already too full of hateful people who want to control others, be free and be happy.

If it's not for attention, why the need to post THIS piece of crap it at all? Who cares if other people think it's annoying? Do your regular posts and get over yourself.