10 weeks - 1500 calories - no change :(

Options

Replies

• WallBilly
    WallBilly Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I would not count the weightlifting calories burned at all. Cardio, sure, but unless you are doing circuit training with a continuous high heart rate, you're probably only burning 150 calories per hour weight lifting at best.

Another sneaky calorie source, someone already mentioned it, is oils. If you like to grill your veggies like I do in olive oil, you have to measure it, and it adds up fast. 2 tablespoons of olive oil is 250 calories!
  • Mike02209
    Mike02209 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    If you are relatively new to strength training, it may be possible that you are experiencing a weight gain which is comprised of both increased muscle mass AND the muscles you train exhibiting water retention due to training. These two things can offset your fat loss, but as you continue and your muscles adapt to training, the gains will start to diminish, which is when you start seeing the scale move downward.
  • WallBilly
    WallBilly Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    trixiex wrote: »
    OK. Final decision. 1850 calories per day. No change to exercise and strength training, just not logging the calories.
    And completely brutal with weighing food! I'm even going to start weighing coconut oil instead of using a spoon. And my bunch of grapes. (can I take them off the stalks for weighing? :p)

I'm not sure how you're going to accurately weigh oils, but I'd suggest using an accurate set of measuring spoons instead of normal silverware.

I have had very good luck eating back most or all of my cardio calories, but either ignoring the weightlifting, or just giving myself 200 calories per hour, which is completely offset by the 150 calorie protein shake that I down after lifting for 45 minutes.
  • behnybaby
    behnybaby Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    You should be drinking more water, 8-10 cups
  • Zella_11
    Zella_11 Posts: 161 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I was thinking as active as you are you may need to increase your calorie intake.

No--that's never the answer for a stall in weight loss.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    WallBilly wrote: »
    OK. Final decision. 1850 calories per day. No change to exercise and strength training, just not logging the calories.
    And completely brutal with weighing food! I'm even going to start weighing coconut oil instead of using a spoon. And my bunch of grapes. (can I take them off the stalks for weighing? :p)

I'm not sure how you're going to accurately weigh oils, but I'd suggest using an accurate set of measuring spoons instead of normal silverware.

I have had very good luck eating back most or all of my cardio calories, but either ignoring the weightlifting, or just giving myself 200 calories per hour, which is completely offset by the 150 calorie protein shake that I down after lifting for 45 minutes.

Coconut oil is solid at room temperature -- it's very easy to weigh.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    WallBilly wrote: »

??

With a scale set to grams, I presume. It's how I do it. And yes, OP, take the grapes off of the stems before weighing :smile:

The rest of this post I agree with, though.
  • khhregister
    khhregister Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Agreed with synacious - weigh everything even pre-packaged meats. Most days I cook a pre-packaged chicken breast for lunch. It's labeled as 4oz, which is around 113 g. But through my experience weighing these chicken breasts, I know they are typically closer to 170g, and sometimes even over 200g. Sometimes I cook a whole batch of them on the grill, and then I don't know what each one weighed raw, so I overestimate and call it 200g. I'd much rather overestimate than underestimate.

• bmayes2014
    bmayes2014 Posts: 232 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    A few things stand out...

1. If you're following TDEE method, you do not eat back your exercise calories. They are already included in the count.
    2. Heart rate monitors are only good for steady state cardio, so you're likely getting an inaccurate reading for your lifting.
    3. How are you measuring your calorie intake (food scale, measuring cups, eyeballing portions)?
    Are you weighing everything?
    Your hrm isn't accurate for calories burned from weight lifting.

WHAT!?? I never knew this! thanks for sharing. Will the HRM under or over estimate the calories while lifting?
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    bmayes2014 wrote: »

1. If you're following TDEE method, you do not eat back your exercise calories. They are already included in the count.
    2. Heart rate monitors are only good for steady state cardio, so you're likely getting an inaccurate reading for your lifting.
    3. How are you measuring your calorie intake (food scale, measuring cups, eyeballing portions)?

WHAT!?? I never knew this! thanks for sharing. Will the HRM under or over estimate the calories while lifting?

It will over-estimate.
  • bmayes2014
    bmayes2014 Posts: 232 Member
    Options

It will over-estimate.

So how do you count calories burned while lifting? or dont you? I don't mean to hijack this post. I appreciate the help
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I'm a pretty greedy person with no food "off" switch so really don't trust my hunger - still learning to separate neck down and neck up hunger!!!
    I've looked at a few TDEE calculations and they vary from 1750 to 2000 calories per day, so will go with 1850, stop logging the exercise calories and see what happens over the next couple of weeks.
    If you are doing the TDEE method, the exercise calories are already included. MFP uses TEF which is BMR plus daily activity without exercise, so it is designed to add exercise. If you absolutely must add exercise just to log it, just add 1 to the calorie burn field.

Mike02209 wrote: »
    If you are relatively new to strength training, it may be possible that you are experiencing a weight gain which is comprised of both increased muscle mass AND the muscles you train exhibiting water retention due to training. These two things can offset your fat loss, but as you continue and your muscles adapt to training, the gains will start to diminish, which is when you start seeing the scale move downward.

If she is relatively new, there's no way she'd be gaining muscle mass..... it takes a long *kitten* time to add muscle mass. It most likely is the water retention, for sure. Al this does is mask fat loss.
  • janejellyroll
    Options

It will over-estimate.

So how do you count calories burned while lifting? or dont you? I don't mean to hijack this post. I appreciate the help

I personally don't count the calories burned during lifting. This works for me because I'm not a serious lifter (probably 1.5-2 hours a week at most). If I found myself losing weight (I'm maintaining right now), I would begin eating some of them back, but this currently works for me.
  • trixiex
    trixiex Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Right or wrong, I've decided to not log them. I think you could get a bunch of arguments for either option though.
    I'm not losing weight (or rather, I'm not dropping dress sizes) by logging them so I'll stop and see what happens.
    I think a pp said they log 100cal for an hour lifting but I reckon everyone does it differently so difficult to know what to do!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I'd use weight lifting burned calories as a buffer and not log them, this will help account for inaccurate logging or overestimated cardio calorie burns.