10 weeks - 1500 calories - no change :(

Options

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing everything?
    Your hrm isn't accurate for calories burned from weight lifting.

truth...HRM aren't really accurate unless it has a chest strap and you are doing steady state cardio.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Mike02209 wrote: »
    If you are relatively new to strength training, it may be possible that you are experiencing a weight gain which is comprised of both increased muscle mass AND the muscles you train exhibiting water retention due to training. These two things can offset your fat loss, but as you continue and your muscles adapt to training, the gains will start to diminish, which is when you start seeing the scale move downward.

its most likely water retention. its not going to me muscle mass,I mean you can get newbie gains but that would have happened in the beginning and slacked off by now and it wouldnt be that much to create a "stall" or no loss. this far in.women also gain muscle slower and on 1500 calories any newbie gains would be really small. could be that she isnt weighing everything so she is eating more than she thinks.
  • solieco1
    solieco1 Posts: 1,559 Member
    Options
    Drop to 1350 for 2 weeks and see what happens.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    solieco1 wrote: »
    Drop to 1350 for 2 weeks and see what happens.

2 weeks may not be enough time to see a difference either. weight loss takes time. sure its possible she may lose water weight on lower calories but it takes awhile sometimes when you lower calories
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options
    trixiex wrote: »
    And completely brutal with weighing food! I'm even going to start weighing coconut oil instead of using a spoon. And my bunch of grapes. (can I take them off the stalks for weighing? :p)

I was really surprised at how many calories are in grapes, so yes - definitely weigh them! :) I prefer berries anyway, fewer calories and IMO tastier too. :)
  • lauraesh0384
    lauraesh0384 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Zella_11 wrote: »
    I was thinking as active as you are you may need to increase your calorie intake.

No--that's never the answer for a stall in weight loss.

Never say never. It was for me. I was "eating" 1800 calories and wasn't losing weight. I started eating back my exercise calories in addition to what I already ate and the weight started moving downward again. Theoretically I shouldn't have lost weight eating 200 more calories but I did. I find that if my deficit is too big, it puts stress in my body and I won't lose weight. By reading threads on here, there are others that have experienced this also. I'm not saying it's always the answer, especially with those that aren't weighing their food or logging accurately. I knew that wasn't the case with me since I'm really OCD about my food scale and logging. My net calories were too low for how active I am and my weight.
  • sawguoyi923
    sawguoyi923 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I'm also on around 1,500 calories these days. But ive been seeing significant change in my weight.
  • Leoness726
    Leoness726 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I calculate my base metabolic rate online, as I think most do, and initially had been using that as my guideline for how many calories I needed to cut from my day to lose weight. And I barely lost any weight. Actually, at first... I lost nothing. For a whole month I lost nothing. Granted, I wasn't exercising... but I WAS eating 500 calories less every day. So regardless of exercise, I still should have been losing SOMETHING. Especially at my weight where the first 30 or so pounds should fall right off.

This was back in November. By December I think I had lost a sad 4-5 pounds in two months (I had about 230 pounds to lose, so this was dismal for the first two months of a more restricted diet at my weight). I fell off the wagon a bit in December and started up again in April. In 6 weeks I lost about 20 pounds. The difference? My FitBit. After putting my FitBit back on and syncing it to MFP, I realized that while I did put in "sedentary" as my level of activity... I was BEYOND sedentary. I was still running at about 300 calories less a day than I had thought. So I wasn't exercising and ultimately only cutting back 200 calories a day. Which, on some days, I may have accidentally been eating those anyway when I forgot to log small things like sugar free creamer or two pieces of hard candy or just inputting wrong data.

You are exercising, sure... but that base metabolic rate my be screwing you up. Those hours at the office where you sit all day long may actually be burning even fewer calories than what the average sedentary job would.

For all I know you're already using a FitBit (or something like it) and syncing it up and making sure your calories are adjusted based on what the device says... so this might have all been pointless lol... but if you're NOT using one, I highly recommend it. It's not a totally accurate device, but it's made a world of difference for me when I'm able to see just how few calories sitting on my fat butt burns!

Hope it helps, but if not then remember (and sorry in advance for the cliche) Einstein said that the "definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." If all else fails, change up the menu... find some more fat burning foods... do a new exercise routine. If you normally use a treadmill, jump on the bike instead. Your body may just be accustomed to all you're doing and it might need a bit of a kick with a new routine. Make sure you're getting all of your vitamins and antioxidants... try more protein, less carbs... less fruit, more veggies... protein in the morning instead of a smoothie or energy bar (idk what you have for breakfast, just an example), try MCT oil or another supplement. Think outside the box I guess. I haven't hit a plateau yet because I have so much weight to lose still, but I've been preparing for it myself so I'm ready when it hits! These are just some ideas I've seen.

I hope you're able to figure it out and see some more progress soon! Good luck!
  • Leoness726
    Leoness726 Posts: 14 Member
    Options

there are no fat burning foods and oils and supplements wont work to lose weight. a calorie deficit is whats needed.doesnt matter how or what you eat,you have to be in a deficit. there are no magic foods that help with weight loss.a new routine can help to keep from getting bored.yes your body gets used to doing things and you will start burning less calories because it becomes easier,so changing it to something that makes you burn more calories will help for awhile but eventually your body will get used to that exercise too. more of one macro and less of another will help IF it keeps you in a deficit,otherwise if you eat more of one macro and less of another and it puts you into your maintenance calories or a surplus then no weight loss will happen.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but I never said there was such a thing as "magic" anything. Not even remotely close to that.

• Kekekylene
    Kekekylene Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Zella_11 wrote: »
    I was thinking as active as you are you may need to increase your calorie intake.

No--that's never the answer for a stall in weight loss.

Never say never. It was for me. I was "eating" 1800 calories and wasn't losing weight. I started eating back my exercise calories in addition to what I already ate and the weight started moving downward again. Theoretically I shouldn't have lost weight eating 200 more calories but I did. I find that if my deficit is too big, it puts stress in my body and I won't lose weight. By reading threads on here, there are others that have experienced this also. I'm not saying it's always the answer, especially with those that aren't weighing their food or logging accurately. I knew that wasn't the case with me since I'm really OCD about my food scale and logging. My net calories were too low for how active I am and my weight.

This!
    I started out eating 1600 cals a day when I first started out. I would lose but not consistently. I now eat 2800 a day and lose on a regular basis. So yes for some people, it is better to eat more to lose.

• gonetothedogs19
    gonetothedogs19 Posts: 325 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I am new to this site and I find most of these posts incredulous. I lost my needed weight and never counted a single calorie.

I recently took my daughter, who needs to lose about 25 lbs., to a nutritionist. The nutritionist is strongly opposed to calorie counting because for two reasons - 1) Most people will fail at it because who really wants to weigh and measure food every time you eat or drink something?; 2) All calories are not the same. Our bodies are not bunsen burners.

Somehow, she manages to have a very successful practice.

I realize nobody here is suggesting that you should eat 1,500 calories of donuts everyday. But everyone here is emphatically stating that if you took a couple of hundred people and fed them 1,500 calories of donuts for three months, and you took a couple of hundred people and fed them a healthy 1,500-calorie diet that minimized refined sugar and minimized junk carbohydrates for three months, the weight results for all the people would be EXACLTY THE SAME.

You don't need a degree in nutrition or biochemistry or be a registered dietician to know that the healthy diet people would lose more weight. It's common sense.

• gonetothedogs19
    Options
    As a follow-up, yes, you can lose your needed weight by counting calories. But the vast majority of people who lose their needed weight never count calories. They are likely to read labels and become calorie aware (and sugar aware and junk carbohydrate aware). But they are not counting.
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    I am new to this site and I find most of these posts incredulous. I lost my needed weight and never counted a single calorie.

I recently took my daughter, who needs to lose about 25 lbs., to a nutritionist. The nutritionist is strongly opposed to calorie counting because for two reasons - 1) Most people will fail at it because who really wants to weigh and measure food every time you eat or drink something?; 2) All calories are not the same. Our bodies are not bunsen burners.

Somehow, she manages to have a very successful practice.

I realize nobody here is suggesting that you should eat 1,500 calories of donuts everyday. But everyone here is emphatically stating that if you took a couple of hundred people and fed them 1,500 calories of donuts for three months, and you took a couple of hundred people and fed them a healthy 1,500-calorie diet that minimized refined sugar and minimized junk carbohydrates for three months, the weight results for all the people would be EXACLTY THE SAME.

You don't need a degree in nutrition or biochemistry or be a registered dietician to know that the healthy diet people would lose more weight. It's common sense.

FYI- You are on a calorie counting site.
  • gonetothedogs19
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Never said anyone suggested a donut diet. I said that just about everyone is saying that a hypothetical donut diet, in terms of weight loss, is the same a healthy balanced diet. And according to my daughter's nutritionist, and a myriad number of physicians, nutritionists and dieticians, nothing is further from the truth.

And even if you don't believe that, there are high calorie junk foods and drinks that provide zero satiety. You can start with a 12-ounce Coke. Who in their right mind would say it's OK to have a 12-ounce Coke, as long as you remain in a calorie deficit? So you are eating 1,500 calories/per day, and you are going to give up 140 calories to a can of soda?

So here is my advise to everyone trying to lose weight - don't drink Coke (or Gatorade, or Vitamin Water, or orange juice, or sweetened ice tea, or lots of other sugary drinks that provide no satiety). Just don't do it.
  • gonetothedogs19
    Options
    I am not trying to derail the thread. I was using Coke as an example. Another example is yes, a donut. 300 to 400 calories and you are are done in four bites, with zero satiety. Trying to lose weight? Don't eat donuts.