poor body image (jealous over smaller/petite/more delicate women), hard to keep motivated

Options
I'm 44 and feel like a huge moose. I'm 5‘11", reasonably fit/curvy ( i'm working on losing weight - I exercise fairly regularly and try to eat well). The problem is I'm one of those "big" girls who will always be big - broad shoulders, wide hips, big chest, just overall gargantuan in general. I look like an lumbering, awkward Amazon compared to other women, especially in my belly dance class. You would think that I would have learned to deal with it by now since I have had this build all my life, even when I was at my thinnest. I wish I could be satisfied with this aspect of my life and move on, but I still find myself wishing I were one of those feminine delicate ladies and that I was never meant to look like this.

(I could go on and on about the negative crap disguised as "realistic helpful advice" from my family, but I won't... it's mostly just hearing things like "little petite girls will always have the advantage so just learn to accept it"... yeah, mental poison to be sure, but it sticks with you)

All that to say, at times I find myself looking at myself and thinking "is losing weight really going to be worth it, if I still have these body image issues?". Has anyone else ever dealt with this? It makes it hard to stick to your weight loss efforts when you know that even when you are at your thinnest you're still not going to be happy with the cards you have been dealt.

Replies

• fitdaisygrrl
    fitdaisygrrl Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I think body image for every woman is an issue. My sister in law is quite tall and I know she struggle with this too. And she's 6'2! She's shared her insecurities with me but also laughs about them- just as I laugh about being short.

I have my own issues- I'm 5'5" but am curvy and feel like a giant sometimes next to tiny petite delicate ladies. Or worse, I feel like a rolly-polly hobbit next to tall women. So be rest assured that many others have moments of insecurities based on their height and body structure. Try to keep focused on your weight loss goals and things you can control, and try to embrace that you are an Amazon woman- you can reach things in high cupboards, you have a strength and presence about you and you are beautiful just the way you are!

• robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    My best and most favorite belly dance teacher was about 5'10" tall and big curvy, smallish waist proportionally but really big boobs, hips, legs, big hair too.

You would not believe the love she got dancing in the middle east and north africa. She made enough $ dancing to cover all her travel and vacations, it was a legit second job. They loved loved loved her body type, it's the most traditional beautiful body for belly dancing. She was an amazing dancer but would not have gotten as much work had she been skinny or small. Of all the insecurities you might have, being a tall and curvy belly dancer should not be among them.

I grew up as a tall skinny gawky gangly big footed girl among petite delicate ladies who were considered beautiful, my body type was not considered beautiful or sexy, so I do get where you are coming from. I am still built the same, but now models are tall and skinny so there is some cultural backing for this build being sexy, whatever. It helped me but most of the change has to come from within. Your body is yours, it's a good body, it works.

• davidsop
    davidsop Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad I'm not alone I spend every single day of my life thinking worrying about my weight and how I look. I change my hair almost weekly and I compare my size to everyone around me. everyday I spend all day hinking about the next way to get fit lose weight it's been going on for 15 years and it's a miserable way to live
  • Kanyon17
    Kanyon17 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Hi! I totally agree with @WBB55. I'm 5'10 and built a little just like you. I started crossfit 3 years ago and my body image as since improve because I've been exposed to a different type of beauty. Every gym (and society in general but that's a different topic) tries to sell us only one type of body to work toward. In our case, this is impossible because of morphology. But it doesn't mean it's the only one that's beautiful. I now see, on a daily basis, women of all shapes and sizes accomplishing things and being rewarded for doing so. I do not want to skinnyshame anyone but it does feel good to deadlift more than 300lbs when the petite women can't go over 150lbs! But hey, when we get to the pull up bar they can fly on that thing! Back to the point, I do agree a therapy might be part of the answer. To me, crossfit was my first therapy. I'm seeing a real one now haha!
  • tristen_leigh
    tristen_leigh Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    We will always want to look like something/someone else until we truly learn to love ourselves for who we are and what we were born to look like. Our society doesn't help either - telling us what the perfect body type is. There are no magic words anyone can give you to get passed this.

Therapy is a good option. You are you and no one else. Learning to embrace the things that bother you is the only way you will be happy with how you look. Self-love is invaluable. I hope you find that.