Advocare pro/cons?

Options
Thoughts about Advocare? Favorite products...things to be weary of....

Replies

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Don't know exactly what it is, but see the word products and it's a red flag for me. Is it something I can or want to do for the rest of my life? If not, then it's a temporary thing and temporary changes get ya temporary results.

Real food, reasonable calorie deficit, reasonable exercise & goals, take rest days, get good sleep, drink water. That's what has worked for me, and I lost the fat and inches, and have kept it off for nearly 4 years. And I eat pizza, burgers, fries, desserts, cocktails, beer and wine. Because it's for life, and there's no way I'm giving those things up forever! :smiley:
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    Pros the person selling it gets lots of money
    Cons you have wasted your time and your money
    MissusMoon summarised it well
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    Pros: vitamins, electrolytes, caffeine, nutrition plan but who's really gonna pay all that money and be told how to eat? At those prices, the product is expected to do all the work.

Cons: total ripoff. Doesn't actually do anything that you can't do on your own. Nutritional supplements can be gotten for cheap, and diet and exercise plans are free in the age of information.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    I've known 3 people that did the Advocare 24 day challenge (or is it 21 days? I don't know.) and they all lost inches and weight doing it.

Aaaaand promptly gained it all back and more when they went back to how they normally ate. There's no shortcut or miracle supplement.
  • caitlinrn83
    caitlinrn83 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I've known 3 people that did the Advocare 24 day challenge (or is it 21 days? I don't know.) and they all lost inches and weight doing it.

Aaaaand promptly gained it all back and more when they went back to how they normally ate. There's no shortcut or miracle supplement.

This. I did the same thing.
    I will go on record and say that I have used and still sometimes use spark, but the rest...I can do the same thing without the other supplements.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    mmillion79 wrote: »
    Thoughts about Advocare?
    It's a MLM scam, the products are overpriced and poor quality, and the people who sell it are usually incredibly aggressive, pushy and spammy.

...things to be weary of....
    You'll spend a lot of money on worthless products which won't do anything that a caloric deficit can't do. You'll be spammed to death by salespeople (I refuse to call them "coaches", just like Beachbody scammers) and pushed to become a distributor yourself so you're in their downline and making money for them.

It's not worth it. There's no upside to it.
  • melloneill16
    melloneill16 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I may be the only positive person to comment....I love it, its very personal....Yes, you have to still exercise and eat right, but I have found that it gives me that little extra "umph" when I'm working out. The Rehydrate really quenches my thirst, the Spark has replaced my coffee. The 24 Day Challenge is just supposed to help jump start good clean eating. As with any diet or eating regime, if you stop and go back to eating bad food, you will gain weight.
    Yes I am a distributor, but only so I can get a discount. If people want to buy it, i think its great, but I do not do it for a profit or a business.

I have tried Herbal life and and Le-vel, they just were't for me...its a very personal journey, so you would have to decide for yourself as we are all different with different wants, needs and taste.

Good Luck with what you choose to help yourself healthy!
  • melloneill16
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    It's worth noting that the only positive comment so far has come from a distributor. Just sayin'......

FYI...I have been buying it for 5 years and do not have a down line, "distributor" per say=40% for myself. Sorry you had a bad experience. I am very glad you have had success without help.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I may be the only positive person to comment....I love it, its very personal....Yes, you have to still exercise and eat right, but I have found that it gives me that little extra "umph" when I'm working out. The Rehydrate really quenches my thirst, the Spark has replaced my coffee. The 24 Day Challenge is just supposed to help jump start good clean eating. As with any diet or eating regime, if you stop and go back to eating bad food, you will gain weight.
    Yes I am a distributor, but only so I can get a discount. If people want to buy it, i think its great, but I do not do it for a profit or a business.

I have tried Herbal life and and Le-vel, they just were't for me...its a very personal journey, so you would have to decide for yourself as we are all different with different wants, needs and taste.

Lolz... no.
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Thoughts about Advocare? Favorite products...things to be weary of....

Be wary of MLM scams like Advocare.
    Just use the MFP app, it's free and works!
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options

So, what is "good clean eating". How does "Rehydrate" work better than....water?!?
    How does this provide a "jumpstart". How is this teaching you to change your habits so that you don't "go back to eating bad food", anymore so than MFP teaches people this things?

I do find it interesting that distributors for this, or Shakeology, or any other the other ones, always say "I just do it for the discount".
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    MLM garbage that pesters me on FB.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    htimpaired wrote: »

So, what is "good clean eating". How does "Rehydrate" work better than....water?!?
    How does this provide a "jumpstart". How is this teaching you to change your habits so that you don't "go back to eating bad food", anymore so than MFP teaches people this things?

I do find it interesting that distributors for this, or Shakeology, or any other the other ones, always say "I just do it for the discount".

Because that may be the only redeeming quality!! The discount
  • melloneill16
    Options
    htimpaired wrote: »

When I am working out and can't get enough to drink, the Rehydrate for me quenches my thirst, I am still drinking about a gallon of water a day.
    Good clean eating is nothing processed, lean protein, veggies, fruit, etc.
    Never mentioned that Advocare replaced anything life MFP, for me they are two different methods. People learn different ways, different methods. The original poster asked for opinions, you gave yours, I gave mine.
    Good Luck in your journey!
  • Kib13
    Kib13 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    From checking out Rehydrate and Spark, it looks like Rehydrate is an electrolyte with vitamins drink. And Spark is a or like a pre-workout drink with caffeine, B vitamins and amino acids.

For electrolytes and Vitamins, I like Emergen C. I get a total of 90 packets at Costco for $19.99. 3 Flavors, Orange, Raspberry and Tropical. I have no clue how it may compare to Rehydrate, but it's a drink I enjoy and was recommended by my Nurse Practitioner. They also have a straight Electrolyre drink Alacer Emergen C Electomix. It's especially nice during a hot, sweaty hike. :)

I don't do caffeine, so I can't recommend a similar product, but I do know some people that drink coffee or tea before a workout and just take a B Vitamin blend.

Do some more research on the products and be wary of overly positive reviews. Often times products sold through MLM's (Multi Level Marketing) companies are expensive and you can find lower cost alternatives outside of the MLM.

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    if you are willing to put in the hard work,and dedication it takes to lose weight you can do it for free!(well just buy your own food you normally do) WITHOUT a product. as for energy for some that will come naturally and for others it just means it may come later on in your journey like it did for me. there are also preworkouts you can buy which are MUCH cheaper and do the same thing and no one to buy from except the store. I have lost weight and a lot of inches without taking anything and was able to get off a lot of my meds. I still have some weight to lose but If I want energy a cup of coffee or two works for me. There is also NO such thing as a jumpstart. your body(metabolism) is not a dead battery it either works or it doesnt. not to mention a lot of the ingredients in these MLM products have awful side effects and a lot of them will interact with meds/health issues(something they dont normally tell you when trying to sell their products)