Back to vegan, but scared

Options
Hi all, looking for support within the vegan community here. I was vegetarian vegan for years with the support of a homeopath. I was in the best health of my life, feeling amazing (and at a healthy weight) when I got pregnant with my 3rd child. Having moved away from my homeopath, I began eating meat again during my pregnancy, then a naturopath put me on a low carb, high fat diet about a year ago. I've been in and out if keto for a year and though I have lost much of my weight, I've felt HORRIBLE for an entire year. Exhausted, constantly thirsty abs my hormones are a MESS.

Most of my MFPals are part of the keto/LCHF/Paleo community and I feel very cornered. I know they'll judge me when they see I'm returning to my vegan lifestyle. And I must admit, I'm SCARED, because of all of the info (brainwashing) about carb cycling/how bad fruit is for me/grain fear etc from this past year. I really need some support, y'all

Replies

• falalaholly
    falalaholly Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    i am 100% here to support you! I am (mostly... lol) on a vegan diet.. and ONLY for health reasons... literally.. go a week without dairy and see how you feel haha... but not only am i vegan.. (or vegetarian? not sure..) i still eat eggs and occasionally i eat fish.. i dont eat any dairy and the only grain i eat is quinoa and the occasional rice noodle recipe.

as for the previous post ^^^ you DONT need "animal one in proper proportions"... there are soo many things out there you could be eating than gross processed meat.. you can get get it from tofu, soft tofu you can put in sauces and shakes/smoothies, firm tofu you can cook just like any animal meat.. you can also get protein from beans (white beans, black beans are the best), peas, spinach, Brussels sprouts, broccoli, etc. .. so many choices.

you are free to view my diary any time you want.. again.. nobodys perfect so some days i miss, some days i cheat horribly haha but for the most of my days i'm eating vegetarian/vegan.

feel free to add me for support!
  • iamcallieu
    iamcallieu Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thanks all, I'm not scared to return to my previous vegan lifestyle - I'm more scared of the backlash that I know I'm going to get. The keto community can be a brutal place; but I'm definitely ready to feel good again!! I'm also ready to eat some fruit again!!
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Barring some nonsensical (ie: unnecessary/unsupervised VLCD) dietary plan - eat however you want. Anyone has a problem with it? F'em.
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    JaneN2016 wrote: »
    Hi!

I am 100% full vegan (yes, even down to clothes and bath products) Like the person above said, you need to stop letting people put you on diets and eat what is right for you! If eating plant-based is the best you have ever felt then go back to it. A bowl of rice isn't going to kill you :-)

My diary is open, so if you want some vegan ideas feel free to add me!

It doesn't look like your diary is open?
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    iamcallieu wrote: »
    Thanks all, I'm not scared to return to my previous vegan lifestyle - I'm more scared of the backlash that I know I'm going to get. The keto community can be a brutal place; but I'm definitely ready to feel good again!! I'm also ready to eat some fruit again!!

Why let others dictate your food choices? If people are fanatical about their way of eating as being the one true way... walk away. There are multiple "right" solutions based primarily on personal choice and culture.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »
    hmilly wrote: »
    i am 100% here to support you! I am (mostly... lol) on a vegan diet.. and ONLY for health reasons... literally.. go a week without dairy and see how you feel haha... but not only am i vegan.. (or vegetarian? not sure..) i still eat eggs and occasionally i eat fish.. i dont eat any dairy and the only grain i eat is quinoa and the occasional rice noodle recipe.

as for the previous post ^^^ you DONT need "animal one in proper proportions"... there are soo many things out there you could be eating than gross processed meat.. you can get get it from tofu, soft tofu you can put in sauces and shakes/smoothies, firm tofu you can cook just like any animal meat.. you can also get protein from beans (white beans, black beans are the best), peas, spinach, Brussels sprouts, broccoli, etc. .. so many choices.

you are free to view my diary any time you want.. again.. nobodys perfect so some days i miss, some days i cheat horribly haha but for the most of my days i'm eating vegetarian/vegan.

feel free to add me for support!

I think we can safely mark that open item as closed now.

You are not vegan. Or even vegetarian.

If she self-identifies as vegan why are you so hegemonic with your definitions?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    But when it comes to religion, you can be pro-choice, have pre-marital sex and still call yourself christian/catholic, right?

Veganism is an ethical position on animal exploitation. Christianity is a set of religious beliefs. I'm not seeing the connection.
  • TheCrawlingChaos
    TheCrawlingChaos Posts: 462 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    But when it comes to religion, you can be pro-choice, have pre-marital sex and still call yourself christian/catholic, right?

That is a false analogy. Religion not the same thing. Nobody has an agreed upon definition of the relgion down ro that level in your example, and if they do, then those people would most definitely say that people of opposing opinions on those topis are not fit for the label.

I would argue that there are not defined definitions for those religions, at least not at that level. There are plenty of denominations that split the base of the population among all those lines though I'm sure.. If you want to boil it down you might be able to do that and say that in order to be christian you'd need to believe in God and Jesus. So I wouldn't be able to say "I'm Christian but I don't believe in god. Or jesus. And I dont follow the moral teachings of the bible." That would be ridiculous.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    iamcallieu wrote: »

Are these MFP friends that you are concerned about. If so, unfriend them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    What privilege? That's goofy. :p Accuracy =/= "privilege."

Anyway, if this keto community is going to be butts to you, may I postulate that it is not going to be a healthy community to hang out in. I know there are vegan communities where you may find like minded people.