Back to vegan, but scared

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    I know one doesn't equate to the other, but the common theme is the bigotry behind the proponents and their followers. And the constant need to pontificate/codify a certain belief system.

If the vegans you have met have a constant need to pontificate, I suggest you meet some new vegans. There are many of us who aren't that interested in pontificating. I'll answer questions when asked, but most people I know aren't even aware that I'm vegan or only know it because they have noticed what I'm eating (in group settings) and asked me directly about it.

As far as vegan bigotry, I'm not sure what you're referring to. Most vegans have been non-vegans and have loved ones who are non-vegan. My husband, stepfather, siblings, and most of my friends aren't vegan. I love and cherish them all. I'm not some rare bird -- most of the vegans I have met have cherished non-vegans in their lives.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »
    hmilly wrote: »
    i am 100% here to support you! I am (mostly... lol) on a vegan diet.. and ONLY for health reasons... literally.. go a week without dairy and see how you feel haha... but not only am i vegan.. (or vegetarian? not sure..) i still eat eggs and occasionally i eat fish.. i dont eat any dairy and the only grain i eat is quinoa and the occasional rice noodle recipe.

as for the previous post ^^^ you DONT need "animal one in proper proportions"... there are soo many things out there you could be eating than gross processed meat.. you can get get it from tofu, soft tofu you can put in sauces and shakes/smoothies, firm tofu you can cook just like any animal meat.. you can also get protein from beans (white beans, black beans are the best), peas, spinach, Brussels sprouts, broccoli, etc. .. so many choices.

you are free to view my diary any time you want.. again.. nobodys perfect so some days i miss, some days i cheat horribly haha but for the most of my days i'm eating vegetarian/vegan.

feel free to add me for support!

I think we can safely mark that open item as closed now.

You are not vegan. Or even vegetarian.

If she self-identifies as vegan why are you so hegemonic with your definitions?

I'm not sure that makes sense. It doesn't matter what you identify as, that doesnt change the factual reality. I can identify as an astronaut/ninja/trillionaire movie star but that doesn't mean I am any of those things in reality.

If the agreed upon definition of vegan is one who abstains from the use of animal products, then i don't think you can use animal products and say you're still a vegan. That is not what the word means.

598113.jpg?b64lines=IERvbid0IGNvbW1pdCB5b3VyIGhhdGUKIGNyaW1lcyBoZXJlLg==
  • janejellyroll
    i am 100% here to support you! I am (mostly... lol) on a vegan diet.. and ONLY for health reasons... literally.. go a week without dairy and see how you feel haha... but not only am i vegan.. (or vegetarian? not sure..) i still eat eggs and occasionally i eat fish.. i dont eat any dairy and the only grain i eat is quinoa and the occasional rice noodle recipe.

as for the previous post ^^^ you DONT need "animal one in proper proportions"... there are soo many things out there you could be eating than gross processed meat.. you can get get it from tofu, soft tofu you can put in sauces and shakes/smoothies, firm tofu you can cook just like any animal meat.. you can also get protein from beans (white beans, black beans are the best), peas, spinach, Brussels sprouts, broccoli, etc. .. so many choices.

you are free to view my diary any time you want.. again.. nobodys perfect so some days i miss, some days i cheat horribly haha but for the most of my days i'm eating vegetarian/vegan.

I'm not sure that makes sense. It doesn't matter what you identify as, that doesnt change the factual reality. I can identify as an astronaut/ninja/trillionaire movie star but that doesn't mean I am any of those things in reality.

If the agreed upon definition of vegan is one who abstains from the use of animal products, then i don't think you can use animal products and say you're still a vegan. That is not what the word means.

If you identified as a ninja, I wouldn't want to squash your dreams.

The agreed upon definition of words is fluid and veganism is a spectrum. Clearly people here want to be strict about it but how does her self-identity as a vegan harm you? Do you think she is going to eat your chicken? She already said she only occasionally eats eggs. Your chicken and your identity as a non-vegan remain safe.

Check your omnivore privilege.

From a vegan perspective, the "problem" with people who consume animal products identifying as vegan is that it can make it seems as if the animals exploited for those products "don't count." If one eats eggs and fish but also claims to have a stance against unnecessary animal exploitation, there is a discrepancy there to be explored. But it sounds like this person isn't an ethical vegan (s/he says it is only for health reasons), but on a mostly plant-based diet.

The other, lesser, issue is that when people say they are vegan but consume eggs and fish (or whatever animal products), they can make it more difficult for vegans to navigate the world. I've had people assume that I eat fish or eggs or honey or dairy because they know "vegans" who have done so. But this is a pretty selfish concern, more of an annoyance than anything else.

• christenwypy
    christenwypy Posts: 335 Member
    I am trying to make this change too. I don't want to fully say I will but so far so good. I'm reading The Lean and making small changes as I go.
  • sjohnny
    I know one doesn't equate to the other, but the common theme is the bigotry behind the proponents and their followers. And the constant need to pontificate/codify a certain belief system.

If the vegans you have met have a constant need to pontificate, I suggest you meet some new vegans. There are many of us who aren't that interested in pontificating. I'll answer questions when asked, but most people I know aren't even aware that I'm vegan or only know it because they have noticed what I'm eating (in group settings) and asked me directly about it.

As far as vegan bigotry, I'm not sure what you're referring to. Most vegans have been non-vegans and have loved ones who are non-vegan. My husband, stepfather, siblings, and most of my friends aren't vegan. I love and cherish them all. I'm not some rare bird -- most of the vegans I have met have cherished non-vegans in their lives.

I've never understood this. If, as a vegan, you believe that it is unethical and murderous to exploit, kill, and/or consume other living things then how can you tolerate associating with people who are basically on the same level as serial killers?
  • TheCrawlingChaos
    TheCrawlingChaos Posts: 462 Member

The agreed upon definition of words is fluid and veganism is a spectrum. Clearly people here want to be strict about it but how does her self-identity as a vegan harm you? Do you think she is going to eat your chicken? She already said she only occasionally eats eggs. Your chicken and your identity as a non-vegan remain safe.

Ooooh. SJW territory here. Logic doesn't hold sway, I see. You're right whatever someone wants to believe privately doesn't affect me. But that doesn't change reality. Someone pointing out a factual statement shouldn't trigger you and get you upset.

You can consider veganism a spectrum, but I have never seen a definition that says "we totes hate animal suffering, but we can sometimes eat eggs and fish."

It's not about "dreams." I can't say "well being a doctor is a spectrum, so I'm going to forego all that medical training and open up a practice."

Assuming the privilege remark was not in jest, I don't think I this conversation can go anywhere of use. I'll see myself out. When you're ready to come out of your safe space with the cupcakes and puppy videos, we can chat.
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member

Honestly, I don't think she self identified as vegan as much as she just wasn't sure what the right word for her mostly plant diet was. She literally said "not sure", so I don't think we are trying to rob her of her identity as much as clarify a word definition she wasn't sure about.

hmilly, if you are looking for a shorthand to describe your diet so people will understand what you eat without you having to explain it, your diet would be considered pescetarian :)
  • janejellyroll
    sjohnny wrote: »

I've never understood this. If, as a vegan, you believe that it is unethical and murderous to exploit, kill, and/or consume other living things then how can you tolerate associating with people who are basically on the same level as serial killers?

Looking at history shows us that many people who are consistently exercise goodness and kindness have "blindspots" in their compassion and/or empathy, groups which are exempted from the ethical guidelines they use when interacting with others. How do I know that I don't have some myself, ones that I won't feel regretful for in the future or will seem very clear to future generations but are now not visible to me?

I don't think non-vegans are the equivalent of serial killers, I don't think they are on the same level.

Is it always easy to spend so much time with non-vegans? No, there are sometimes challenges. But all interpersonal relationships have challenges. I have friends and siblings who disagree with some of *my* ethical choices and demonstrate for me how to nurture friendship and love even across great differences. For an example, my husband and I have great political differences -- he thinks I support policies that can hurt people and make the world a worse place. But we talk about it, try to understand the other's POV. I don't think he thinks his life would be better if he never associated with people like me. I know my life wouldn't be better if I never associated with people like him.
  • Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    iamcallieu wrote: »
    Thanks all, I'm not scared to return to my previous vegan lifestyle - I'm more scared of the backlash that I know I'm going to get. The keto community can be a brutal place; but I'm definitely ready to feel good again!! I'm also ready to eat some fruit again!!

How would the keto community even know unless you told them???

I mean, can't you just become a vegan without telling...

...uh...

....wait.

Never mind.

Just eat how you want.

And stop randomly taking the advice of homeopaths.

capn-jack-sparrow-farewell.gif
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member

Ooooh. SJW territory here. Logic doesn't hold sway, I see. You're right whatever someone wants to believe privately doesn't affect me. But that doesn't change reality. Someone pointing out a factual statement shouldn't trigger you and get you upset.

You can consider veganism a spectrum, but I have never seen a definition that says "we totes hate animal suffering, but we can sometimes eat eggs and fish."

It's not about "dreams." I can't say "well being a doctor is a spectrum, so I'm going to forego all that medical training and open up a practice."

Assuming the privilege remark was not in jest, I don't think I this conversation can go anywhere of use. I'll see myself out. When you're ready to come out of your safe space with the cupcakes and puppy videos, we can chat.

What logic and reality are you trying to enforce? Clearly some people identify as vegan that are not as strictly "vegan" as you would have them (look at the examples given by not only the OP but even by @janetjellyroll). And there you are, the identity police, certified by none and somehow thinking that you can force your vegan-normative viewpoint with no sensitivity on the eating dysphoria you may be causing.

Being a doctor is an excellent example of what veganism isn't. It isn't a board certified function. It isn't a degree program. People without degrees in medicine maybe healthcare professionals and healers. Just like vegans might not fit your world-view or supposed "reality".

Are your cupcakes vegan?

(ps - your assumption was incorrect)
  • MakePeasNotWar

What logic and reality are you trying to enforce? Clearly some people identify as vegan that are not as strictly "vegan" as you would have them (look at the examples given by not only the OP but even by @janetjellyroll). And there you are, the identity police, certified by none and somehow thinking that you can force your vegan-normative viewpoint with no sensitivity on the eating dysphoria you may be causing.

Being a doctor is an excellent example of what veganism isn't. It isn't a board certified function. It isn't a degree program. People without degrees in medicine maybe healthcare professionals and healers. Just like vegans might not fit your world-view or supposed "reality".

Are your cupcakes vegan?

Maybe think of it more like being fasted. If you have a blood test, and you are told to fast for 12 hours, but you eat something 4 hours before the test, you aren't fasted. You can identify with being fasted if you want, but you don't meet the criteria. It's not a judgement. It just the meaning of the word fasted.

I think you are seeing veganism as a club or clique of sort. It is only a descriptor for a person who has a set of behaviours and beliefs that correspond with a specific concept.

I will also point out one more time, the poster did not identify as vegan; she was unsure of the wording.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny wrote: »

Looking at history shows us that many people who are consistently exercise goodness and kindness have "blindspots" in their compassion and/or empathy, groups which are exempted from the ethical guidelines they use when interacting with others. How do I know that I don't have some myself, ones that I won't feel regretful for in the future or will seem very clear to future generations but are now not visible to me?

I don't think non-vegans are the equivalent of serial killers, I don't think they are on the same level.

Is it always easy to spend so much time with non-vegans? No, there are sometimes challenges. But all interpersonal relationships have challenges. I have friends and siblings who disagree with some of *my* ethical choices and demonstrate for me how to nurture friendship and love even across great differences. For an example, my husband and I have great political differences -- he thinks I support policies that can hurt people and make the world a worse place. But we talk about it, try to understand the other's POV. I don't think he thinks his life would be better if he never associated with people like me. I know my life wouldn't be better if I never associated with people like him.

But if you are vegan because you believe all life is sacred how can you rationalize accepting someone who purposely exploits and actively ends those lives. If I found out that someone I loved was actually a member of the Ku Klux Klan and engaged in lynching black people on weekends I would stop associating with them because what they are doing is absolutely horrible.

How hollow is your belief in the sanctity of life that you can turn a blind eye to someone who takes pleasure in what you consider exploitation, torture, and murder?
  • TheCrawlingChaos
    TheCrawlingChaos Posts: 462 Member

Are your cupcakes vegan?

First, thank you for calling me on that really *kitten* example I gave. Let me try to put some thought behind a post before I hit send...

The response I gave to the other post about religion is slightly better. To expand on it a little: if I were to say that I do not believe in any gods, I am an atheist by definition. The definition of atheism is a lack of belief in gods. If I believe in Odin or Zeus or Ra or any of the other thousands of gods that have had religions based around them, then, by definition, I am not an atheist. This is the point I was trying to get across with the vegan definition. A person's identity is not a consideration when you are using the label based on the definition. If someone wants to personally believe that they are a vegan, that is fine, but if they don't fit the colloquial definition of the word, someone else can point that out. @MakePeasNotWar just gave another good example.

I'm not trying to enforce a viewpoint at all. I'm just defining a word as it is widely defined and applying it to the situation here. I mean no harm by it at all. If I went to the store and bought some mushroom burgers that were labeled "vegan," I'd be pretty pissed to find out that the company decided that eggs were okay to be used as an ingredient.

@janejellyroll pointed to some valid concerns with fuzzing of the definition, which is more important than anything i've said so far, and also pointed out that this is kind of stemming from a likely misinterpretation of the post anyway.

I don't know if the cupcakes are vegan. I'm not allowed in the safe room because I might offend someone with definitions and facts. If anybody wants to bring some out to me, i'll only take them if they're vegan... as in no eggs, please. Thank you.

And for the record, while I don't have a degree in identity enforcement, I do identify as an identity deputy, so please respect my identity as such. :smile:
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Enjoyable and topical story (to the identity thing, not veganism):

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/1999/03/the-gigul-of-park-avenue/377494/
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited June 2016
    To the OP, IMO just do it and be confident about it, as it seems you were happier and felt better. I seriously doubt that anyone you really care about will be bothered by how you eat, even though it sometimes seems as if diets are little sports teams (or political parties) out to score points against the others.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    To the OP, IMO just do it and be confident about it, as it seems you were happier and felt better. I seriously doubt that anyone you really care about will be bothered by how you eat, even though it sometimes seems as if diets are little sports teams (or political parties) out to score points against the others.

MAKE DIETS GREAT AGAIN!
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Op -congratulations on doing what's best for you. If you felt like crap for a year doing Keto then I think it's a good idea to stop. Personally I hated low carb and wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. Don't worry about the Keto evangelists who will try to reel you back in, just delete them and find new friends. After a while you'll start to see that most of the stuff the evangelists preach is just woo and bunk science anyway. Your better off with them.
    There's plenty of other people here who eat a healthy well balanced wide variety diet that you can be friends with .
  • MakePeasNotWar
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

MAKE DIETS GREAT AGAIN!

Vote Vegan!

A tofurkey in every pot, and a Prius in every garage :p
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    I also wanted to add, you don't have to be part of any Keto, low carb, vegan, vegetarian clicks . Just eat what foods you want and don't worry about putting labels on stuff. Eat however you feel suites you best op and don't go out of your way to identify with certain "way of eating" clicks.
    You'll find those types of groups are usually just full of misinformation and woo anyway.
    Eat however you wish. Don't worry about putting a label on it.