Am I looking at this realistically???

Options

Replies

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    In order to lose about 1 lb of fat in a week, yes. That should be correct. Just realize that weight loss isn't linear. You'll sometimes retain more water, so you'll lose less than a lb. Then, a week (or 2-3) later, you'll lose more than what you might expect. Also, you'll occasionally (every 5-10 lb is generally a good idea) need to recalculate your Calorie goal.

Also, that 2339 number is just an estimate. Barring any particular medical conditions, it should be pretty close. So, don't worry if you lose a little less or little more. You can always adjust, as necessary.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Eat real food. Replacing meals with smoothies or protein bars is 1) not sustainable, 2) not giving you the nutrition that you need, 3) not teaching you how to eat properly.
  • kristinhull1
    kristinhull1 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I didnt know where to start usually I eat pancakes or toast for breakfast. So I just started using protein bars and shakes.
  • 1shedev
    1shedev Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Can you pick an activity that you can do to get your mind off of binging? Maybe in time you could build a habit that you will go to instead. Could you remove some of the temptation to make it easier on yourself? I'm not sure how successful you can be with a healthy lifestyle while binge eating. Best of luck to you. I hope you find something.
  • KaysKidz
    KaysKidz Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I find binging to be a set up for failure. But that's me. You may have better self control. Although if you had self control, I don't think you'd be here. So rather than 1 "blow it" day a week, set your calories for the day at a reasonable level, and eat what you want within that goal. If you want ice cream, eat it. Just make sure it fits. If you are close to your daily calorie goal and just can't resist that cupcake....better get to walking for an hour or two while you enjoy every crumb!

Will it be easy? No...if it were easy, there would be no fat people. It's a commitment. A lifestyle. Embrace it. :wink:
  • tiffanylacourse
    tiffanylacourse Posts: 2,985 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Eat real food. Replacing meals with smoothies or protein bars is 1) not sustainable, 2) not giving you the nutrition that you need.

^ Agreed. Find nutritious REAL food that fits your calorie goals. For example, my lunch today was this:

4oz canned chunk chicken breast
    1 mini babybel cheese
    1 cup whole strawberries
    ~1 cup whole green grapes

360 cals , 33g protein, 38g carbs, 9g fat - very VERY filling!

n4xomqbfnomn.jpg
  • Mavrick_RN
    Mavrick_RN Posts: 439 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    With bingeing it's not so much the calories (though 2500 calories is well on it's way to destroying a week's deficit) as the behavior. That out of control eating is what got most of us into trouble in the first place. It creeps from one meal on one day to "I'm not losing any weight anyway so I give up" and you go back to a life of bingeing.

I have a Bonus Meal which is very controlled. Once a week, if I eat out no taking home leftovers. Any food (fried chicken, pizza, BBQ, Mexican) is fair game. I never have to have the pity party for myself that I can NEVER have that food again. I just save it for the Bonus Meal. It's not cheating so I don't have to punish myself for it afterward. It's just part of my ongoing lifestyle. That's something I can live with. (And have lost 37 pounds thus far this year)
  • kristinhull1
    Options
    I am so thankful for all the replies and helpful tips and motivation. Ive been logging for a week with no binges. Its just sometimes I worry I will binge. I dont want to but my mind says eat. Eat alot. I started gaining weight 3 years ago when I lost my Dad. No bashing please but I am a recovered cutter. Cutting was my go to for any type of negative emotion. I finally got over that and havent done any cutting in 4 years. After my Dad it was either cut or eat. I chose eating.
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I hope you get to try out some new ways of eating that were suggested here. Maybe you'll find something that works.

I used to binge, too, and sometimes the urge is still there. Experimenting with your diet is something that can potentially help. Definitely don't beat yourself up too much, just log your binges and move on - stick to your goals the next day and it'll get easier.
  • tiffanylacourse
    tiffanylacourse Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    Definitely log everything - good and bad. Just the act of logging it might help you to decide against it - if not this time, then next time. Best of luck! :flowerforyou:
  • Barbs2222
    Barbs2222 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Intermittent fasting = controlled binge. Imho. I was eating and drinking 1200 calories a day all in one meal and I lost 35 pounds. I was full and I could sleep at night. I love it but it's not for everyone. Today I ate lunch though because I had so much yard work to do. I'm down to my last five now so I'm a very random food logger. Ug if I could just give up the beer and vodka those last five would be gone. But I'm happy :smile:
  • kristinhull1
    Options
    I already see a therapist for my cutting and mental illnesses. They never really said anything about my binge eating though. I take 4 different medications for PTSD, postpartum, Social Anxiety and Depression. I havent had the need to binge yet but I know its going to happen. Im not hungry in between meals but the craving of food is what gets me.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    I already see a therapist for my cutting and mental illnesses. They never really said anything about my binge eating though. I take 4 different medications for PTSD, postpartum, Social Anxiety and Depression. I havent had the need to binge yet but I know its going to happen. Im not hungry in between meals but the craving of food is what gets me.

But have YOU, though? Do they even know this is an issue you are struggling with? Have you told them to what extent you are suffering from binging?

• JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,338 Member
    Options
    I hoping after a while this wanting to binge thing goes away. Or ill never make it.

You WILL make it, if you decide you will. But you WON'T, if you don't!!! It's all about mindset. This "binge thing" does fade a bit with practice, but never entirely. I still "start" to binge every now and then, but I try to get it under control before I eat TOO much of my hard work off. I'd say I get the urge about once every two weeks, usually after dinner, and always for ice cream. A smart woman would stop buying ice cream. It's a discipline thing, and it's a tough thing, but doable. Good luck.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    When you feel the urge to binge, have you ever tried drinking a full glass of water and then sticking a piece of sugar-free gum in your mouth? It may give you some time to get over that binge feeling. Find a hobby, go for a walk, something to take your mind off of food.
  • kristinhull1
    Options
    When you feel the urge to binge, have you ever tried drinking a full glass of water and then sticking a piece of sugar-free gum in your mouth? It may give you some time to get over that binge feeling. Find a hobby, go for a walk, something to take your mind off of food.

I may have to try the sugar free gum thing. I walk from my exercise every other day or I do workout videos at home. I havee a 3 year old Son. So he keeps me pretty busy.