Funny people at the gym.....

Options

Replies

• saldridge
    saldridge Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    We have the elephant dude. It's not like he is overweight, but on the treadmill, he runs too close to the front so he almost touches the panel. Unfortunately that causes him to stomp on the plastic cover over the front of the belt so about every third or fourth step is a loud *FLOMP* as he kicks the plastic. I am not sure why he does it, he may be worried he'll fall off the back but he isn't that big so he is probably in the first half of the belt. He also wears a big thick gray hoodie with the hood up that is usually just soaked in sweat and ghastly looking. He then proceeds to use the weight benches and while he wipes them off, it still creaps me out because he is just THAT soaked in sweat.
    Not sure why people believe that more sweat equals...well, what do they think? More fitness? More weight loss?

We also have "Rocky" who always wears a black wool beanie and has it pulled all the way down to his eye brows. Yeah, cause it's so cold in the gym...NOT. But you look real tough...NOT!
  • cbratthauer
    cbratthauer Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Yea, it seems the kids are there to hook up or be seen. I always thought the mall was the place for that?

Lol one night when I was out I actually had some guy go "Hey don't you go to Gold's?" I was like "Umm... yes...." Then he turns to my fiance and goes "Damn you're lucky" and walked away... I quit Gold's shortly after lol
  • sfmathews
    sfmathews Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    We have the elephant dude. It's not like he is overweight, but on the treadmill, he runs too close to the front so he almost touches the panel. Unfortunately that causes him to stomp on the plastic cover over the front of the belt so about every third or fourth step is a loud *FLOMP* as he kicks the plastic. I am not sure why he does it, he may be worried he'll fall off the back but he isn't that big so he is probably in the first half of the belt. He also wears a big thick gray hoodie with the hood up that is usually just soaked in sweat and ghastly looking. He then proceeds to use the weight benches and while he wipes them off, it still creaps me out because he is just THAT soaked in sweat.
    Not sure why people believe that more sweat equals...well, what do they think? More fitness? More weight loss?

We also have "Rocky" who always wears a black wool beanie and has it pulled all the way down to his eye brows. Yeah, cause it's so cold in the gym...NOT. But you look real tough...NOT!

ADRIENNE!!!! LOL!!
  • Heatherbelle_87
    Heatherbelle_87 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    I just really hate the loud grunters. Sometimes when I hear them I can't hold my laugh in I hope they don't know I'm laughing at them. I'm usually with my personal trainer though so maybe they think he said something funny? But we'll occassionally make fun of them while I'm working out

Haha....guess neither of you lifted enough weight to justify a grunt yet?

I love the people that do 1 set and then talk for 20 minutes then do another set....what is the point?

Oh yes there are these kids that come in late Sunday nights that stay for longer than I do, but while I'm there (an hour) they probably do about 10 minutes of actualy workout. The rest is all talking

LMAO I just gave my boyfriend HELL for this the other day. We dont workout together very often due to opposite schedules but he is at the gym for an hour to an hour and a half, so I was thinking "great ill get a super long awesome cardio workout" Sure he lifts some high weights and has awesome muscles but I KNOW for 15 min he was sitting there talking to someone on the machine next to him because I was paying attention! And I noticed him talking atleast 4 or 5 other times (I go to fast on the treadmill to read so I have to entertain myself somehow and what better then watching muscles flex?) We got done and I told him no wonder his workouts take so long! Then he teased me about being all sweaty.... yeah we had fun bickering and bantering over that! Atleast I worked out the entire hour and 20 min we were there!
  • 4jenniferk
    4jenniferk Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't normally have anything to say to this but two days ago I head to the gym about thrity minutes earlier than I usually go (9pm). There is a red headed gentleman there late 40's possibly early 50's on one of the older treadmills that has managed to stick around after the major incline upgrades made their way in. He was probably 5'9 or 5'10 and around the 200 mark. He had on the shortest all cotten shorts that were meant to be form fitting and he was just walking at a modest pace. He did this for the entire hour that I was there. Initially I was in front of him on the arc machine and then moved behind his row to the newer treadmills. The shorts looked like the type that should be worn under another pair of baggy shorts. His business was apparent and bulging out everywhere. As he walked they crawled even further up and it was seriously on the verge of falling out. I was so amused when I was in the back row because I watched men and women alike look over at him and then their eyes would bug out in disbelief. It was funny as hell.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Dude lifts heavy weights, wears ipod, screams out random lyrics (usually the most sexually explative ones) loudly . . .it startles me
    LMAO
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    hahahaha.... I have a few....

1) - who I havent seen for AGES but I miss dearly... microphone beehive man-lady... this dude who is manly to the max comes in all in spandex shorts and vest... he has a belly like father christmas and massive calves, BUT he has an amazing blonde beehive do like something out of Diana Ross and the Supremes.... I think he is mid-gender change, everything on him screams man except the hair. He does all the machines but in a very vigirious fashion, his hair bobs in a very amusing fashion;

2) - the FARTER... I have nicnamed him thus as he farts while he runs. He also have a very sweaty crotch and runs like a bloody gazelle... he's the kinda guy thats super skinny and looks like he has snakes for veins!... he smells! My boyfriend and I named him the farter so now when I see him I have to supress a smile!
    LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • iAMaPhoenix
    iAMaPhoenix Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options

1. Older lady in her late 40's early 50's ...

Hey...watch out for the older and late 40s and early 50s in the same sentence. I used to think that until I had my 40th birthday party also...lol.

Did your view change because you turned 40, or is it because you forgot your age among other things because you are 40?:wink:

I think the former. I really forget I am 43 at times because I have young children who keep my young and I find I can keep up with kids half my age, but every now and then while I am in the car, I have to call and ask the wife where my cell phone is and then I am bought back to reality...Think about it.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    Now I can't fart because you will instantly smell it.....COME ON PEOPLE

Great. Now I'm going to worry that I'm going to start smelling random farts when I'm on the treadmill or elliptical. That wasn't something I even thought about before this thread.
  • eillims13
    eillims13 Posts: 18
    Options
    Usually I zone out at the gym and don't notice people...but yesterday I forgot my Ipod...

I was doing preacher curls and the guy doing squats in the rack in front of me was wearing swim suit trunks to workout...which was weird thing #1.

I'm in the middle of a set and all of the sudden (because I have no music) I hear a *RRRRRRIIIIPPPP*. I look up and the kid had split his swim shorts right down the middle. I felt so bad and the minute he turned around I pretended that I didn't notice or hear anything...

If that happened to me I wouldn't want others to see, and I'm sure he was embarrassed enough....but I guess that's why swim trucks were made for swimming...not squatting....
  • 4jenniferk
    4jenniferk Posts: 307 Member
    Options

Great. Now I'm going to worry that I'm going to start smelling random farts when I'm on the treadmill or elliptical. That wasn't something I even thought about before this thread.

Consider yourself lucky.... at my gym it happens at least weekly. Really unpleasant!
  • sewerchick93
    sewerchick93 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Options
    The other day I was running on the treadmill and this couple came in. They were walking/running side by side on the treadmills infront of me. About 10 minutes later, this super skinny, super cute, I hate people like her but wish I had her body 20 something started running on the treadmill on the other side of the husband. I noticed the husband was VERY intently checking out this girl's back side when he stumbles on the treadmill and goes flying off the back end. I never laughed so hard, his wife had no idea what caused him to trip, but I did....
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    The other day I was running on the treadmill and this couple came in. They were walking/running side by side on the treadmills infront of me. About 10 minutes later, this super skinny, super cute, I hate people like her but wish I had her body 20 something started running on the treadmill on the other side of the husband. I noticed the husband was VERY intently checking out this girl's back side when he stumbles on the treadmill and goes flying off the back end. I never laughed so hard, his wife had no idea what caused him to trip, but I did....

:drinker: karma's a B**ch!
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options

Consider yourself lucky.... at my gym it happens at least weekly. Really unpleasant!
    Gross! I must be there before all the farters arrive.
  • Froggy1976
    Froggy1976 Posts: 472
    Options
    i have one during my Zumba class who just can't seem to turn her body the way everyone else is..she will be the only one in the class who dances a circle to the left when every.single.other.person is dancing in their circle to the right...
    This would probably be me if I had enough guts to go to a Zumba class....zero coordination!
  • wjkirby
    wjkirby Posts: 120
    Options
    A guy probably in his 40's with a small pot belly. Black knee socks, very short shorts, tight muscle shirt tucked inside his shorts and a head band. He watches himself constantly in the mirror and does isometrics. I've nicknamed him Hercules.
  • Noonoo757
    Noonoo757 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    LOL When im running really hard on the treadmill which for me is at like a 7.2 i tend to sing while i run really loud to help with my breathing well this guy today must have been really trying to figure out what i was singing which was (that new beyonce song lol) he was running too and damn near slipped off his treadmill hahaha

Also shout out to the women who go to the gym with makeup on and their hair down to do cardio you guys are total comedy relief for me lol
  • sillygoose1977
    sillygoose1977 Posts: 2,151 Member
    Options
    I love all the oddballs at my gym. We have several guys who still wear zubaz pants. One in particular rocks his zubaz with a tshirt that has the neck cut very widely so you can see his chest and back. Very clever Mr. Zubaz.

Last week at spinning class these two cocky young boys joined our class for the first time. They were pedaling their little hearts out and smiling like it was a piece of cake until the teacher kept going over and cranking up the resistance (they never turned it up at all). They left suddenly in the middle of the class. It was great to see a class full of 30-50ish people spank a couple of boys in their 20's.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I'm the weird one in the gym...in my joggers and huge t-shirt...I play jepardy while on the elypticall and I say the answers out loud...yes I do forget that they can hear me, I'm wearing headphones, and I think I'm talking low enough. Also if a lyric to a song catches my fancy, I'll mouth the words a little...rock out a bit...it gets me through my work out lol
  • jmgj27
    jmgj27 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    SO many to choose from. My favourites:

Thighs MacGuvyer - guy who comes to the gym and has a pot belly but THE BEST THIGHS IN THE WORLD. He gets this because he cycles a gazillion miles a week on the stationary cycles. I honestly don't know how he can still walk afterwards but I really enjoy the show!

The girl who comes to the gym with full make-up on and walks next to me on the treadmill (never breaking a sweat or breaking into a run). She stops after about 5 minutes and disappears then comes back and carries on ten minutes later or so. I got curious one day and followed her. She actually goes to the changing room and applies MORE make-up. What the hell. She absolutely cakes the stuff on so she's properly orange. Weird.

Ooo...and the girl who's been going there for years but never loses weight. This wouldn't bother me but she complains vociferously about the fact that she's not losing weight for 20 minutes every time she's in. She speaks so loudly (and in such a high-pitched voice) that I can hear her above my i-pod - even on max volume. She drives me nuts. I really want to turn around and say "if you can speak that loudly and consistently whilst exercising then the reason you're not losing weight is because you're NOT WORKING HARD ENOUGH!"

There's also a guy with a limp who comes in every now and again, stares at himself in the mirror then does a few moves like he's trying to dunk a basketball, wanders around for a while, watches TV and leaves. Not sure what that's about.