Gaining weight NOT Losing it

Options
I am GAINING weight NOT Losing weight and its driving me insane. I am 44. I work out regularly - 5 days hard hour which I alternate between swimming 32 lengths(in 30mins) , 1 hour spin class, hour resistance training in gym with squats,lunges etc. I limit myself to around 1400 cals a day but am not religious with this usually under target. I have gained a stone since Christmas.
I had blood test with docs but they all came back normal.
Is anyone else experiencing this?

Replies

• dlkfox
    dlkfox Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Since you are gaining, you are not eating at a deficit. Tighten up your logging -- weigh everything and double check the accuracy of the database listings you are using. Also, reevaluate your exercise burns -- and don't eat all your exercise calories back. The issue is somewhere in the math.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Can you open your diary? Most of the time the answer is easy to spot and then you can start losing :)
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    How much have you gained? Over what period of time? How long have you been logging calories?
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    How much have you gained? Over what period of time? How long have you been logging calories?

14lbs since Christmas gained...it's in the OP.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options

she said a stone since christmas so 14 lbs?
  • ridge4mfp
    ridge4mfp Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Also, how long have you been doing this regimen?
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

Yes 1 stone is 14lbs
  • ditabella89
    ditabella89 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    In certain cases it is just better to measure yourself, and ask yourself if your clothes are fitting tighter or loser than before? Two people can be the same height and weight and look completely different due to body fat %
    It's all about the cm you lose, not the weight :)
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options

In the UK we call every 14lb a stone, we're weird ;)
  • MakeItAllFit
    MakeItAllFit Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    What does your daily nutrition look like? Maybe your portions are out of balance and that is throwing you off. Lean protein and veggies should be the bulk of your daily intake. Next would be lower sugar fruits like berries, then complex carbs then healthy fats.
  • JohnRybock
    JohnRybock Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have a scale that estimates fat percentage (the Fitbit one so it automatically uploads and logs weigh-ins)... Not the most accurate way to measure body fat, but one thing I've noticed is that when my weight plateaus or goes up a little, I can see however that my lean weight is going up a little while fat is going down. I.E. I'm gaining muscle from exercise as much or more than I'm losing fat. It at least helps to look out when it feels my work isn't paying off like I expect.

Also, as stated by others, double check how you're logging. I'll err on too little exercise and a little over on the food if I don't have an exact measurement. And if you're using a program to give you total calorie goals, I would double check all your settings - I once messed up setting one up, and lost a ton of weight, but it was because the program thought I was 0'0" tall, and it affected the math... that was too little, but there could be something pushing it up, too.
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    Your answer is probably going to be found in a food scale--or lack thereof.
  • nixxthirteen
    nixxthirteen Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Definitely eating more than you think.

Get a digital food scale and log every single thing. Cups and spoons are only for measuring liquids, and NOT calorie-dense ones like oils, jams, condiments, salad dressings, sauces, etc.
  • j_winx
    j_winx Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    it could also be your metabolism, and as we get older (me included) it slows down. Eating more often and smaller meals keeps your metabolism going, where if you are too hungry between meals your body stores fat as a safety. Did they check your thyroid specifically with the blood test? Also, could you be gaining muscle weight? The scale isn't always the best answer to how you are doing.
  • Yasmin163
    Yasmin163 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I've just started using my fitness pal again. I gave up using it last year because I was static.
    Today for example my calorie goal was 1571 I managed 1234 cals.
    This is a good day. Sometimes I manage 1000 others 900 cals.
    I don't over eat I under eat if anything. I don't under estimate my calories
    I've been working out since 2011 and have gone from 14stone. My lowest was summer last year at 11st 12. But started creeping back up. I increase my exercise to 5 days a week from January to get it back on track but it's gone the opposite way and I've gain a stone (14lbs)
    I had the merina coil fitted in May last year and was worried that was why I was gaining so much so had it removed in March but my weight still going up.
  • Etsar73
    Etsar73 Posts: 260 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Can you please open your diary? Oh and how tall are you? Current weight?