Running in the heat -- tips?

Options
eep223
eep223 Posts: 624 Member
Hello,

I'm just getting back into running after a prolonged break. I live in the American South and "summer" has started to kick in here, with mega heat and humidity. I run after work (the only time I can fit it in), which is not ideal. I upped my mileage from 2-3 miles yesterday and the last mile truly did me in. I ended up walking most of the last portion and had a couple people ask me if I was okay afterwards. I run a loop with several drinking fountains along the way and try to stick to the shade. What else can I do? Please share your tips! Is it simply a matter of taking it slow and letting me body adjust to running/ the heat again?

Replies

• WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    No matter what time of day you run, hydrate, hydrate, hydrate! Before, during and after. Run slower if you are not already. The idea is to run by effort, not pace. Your heart will have to work harder (beat faster) to rush blood to your skin to cool down meaning less blood for your muscles. So you will be slower for the same effort. Adding in walk breaks is a good idea on really hot days because sometimes even running about as slow as you can isn't enough. The key is to get out there and get some miles in, stay as cool as possible (and hydrated). You will reap rewards for it in the fall when the weather cools off.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    In addition to the above, spend more time outside and don't over-air condition your house. I workout almost entirely outside (in Florida) which often means mid-90s+ in the summer. Allow yourself to acclimate.
  • niblue
    niblue Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I spent a few weeks in Bahrain in the summer and due to the heat and humidity I added in some walking breaks into my runs and that helped.
  • BethAnnieT
    BethAnnieT Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Take a very cold bottle of water with you. I lived in Vegas and I would just run holding a small, semi-frozen bottle of water (didn't stay frozen long), switching it from hand to hand every few minutes. Then anytime I saw a sprinkler on, I'd try to run through it. :) Also, walk breaks and "just stand here in the shade for a minute and dump water on my head" breaks were very helpful.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    The only way I can deal with the heat (South Carolina) is to run before sunrise, and its still humid. For times I need exercise in the sun & heat I bought a bike so I can get some wind and carry water with me.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    For you folks in the arid dry heat the get wet or run through a sprinkler may work but in a humid climate you are already wet
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    No matter what time of day you run, hydrate, hydrate, hydrate! Before, during and after. Run slower if you are not already. The idea is to run by effort, not pace. Your heart will have to work harder (beat faster) to rush blood to your skin to cool down meaning less blood for your muscles. So you will be slower for the same effort. Adding in walk breaks is a good idea on really hot days because sometimes even running about as slow as you can isn't enough. The key is to get out there and get some miles in, stay as cool as possible (and hydrated). You will reap rewards for it in the fall when the weather cools off.

Yep. Slow down and take a walk break if you feel like you need one.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    summer is generally when I switch my ride times from PM to early AM...it sucks and I hate getting up at 4:45/5 AM but it beats riding in 100* + temperatures.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    As @sunnybeaches105 said, acclimate to the heat. Spend time hanging out outside instead of sitting by the AC. It doesn't surprise me when people say they can't exercise in the heat and they spend 23 hours of the day in the AC.
  • mommazach
    mommazach Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Heat slows me down considerably. The hotter it gets, the slower my times have been. Make sure you find a moisture wicking shirt to run in, as well as shoes with vents in them. Heat exhaustion is a major factor. Jog, walk to recover, then jog again.
  • Wicked_Seraph
    Wicked_Seraph Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Not OP but thank you all for your advice.

I didn't understand why my heart rate was always ridiculously high during a late-afternoon run, even while walking.

I've been weirdly worried that my runs don't count since I spend the last mile or so mostly walking... good to see that walk breaks are recommended! :>
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Not OP but thank you all for your advice.

I didn't understand why my heart rate was always ridiculously high during a late-afternoon run, even while walking.

I've been weirdly worried that my runs don't count since I spend the last mile or so mostly walking... good to see that walk breaks are recommended! :>

Na, that's not even a thing to worry about. You're still improving your cardio endurance. It sucks that you don't get the same feeling of running faster in cool weather but you're still getting nearly all the benefits.

I make promises to myself in the summer. "Make it to that bridge and you can walk till your HR drops below 140" or I'll do something like leave ice water in the car so I'll hit it after a few miles and get a short break.
  • niblue
    niblue Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    mommazach wrote: »
    Heat slows me down considerably. The hotter it gets, the slower my times have been.

I found the same. I reckoned running in the heat in Bahrain I was about 6 minutes slower over 5K compared to when I was running in London.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Definitely slow down. Might want to try adding a pinch of electrolytes to your water. If you can run when the sun's not up, do it. It helps a lot.

I'm running at 10pm these days because I haven't been able to make the switch to 4am yet. It's still loads better than running after work at the hottest time of the day (95+F).
  • eep223
    Options
    Thanks, some great tips here! I especially appreciate the less time in the ac and the frozen water bottle advice. It's hard because I've been trying to build back up to running from run/walking, and as the weather gets hotter I just feel like I'm not progressing. But you're right, it's about the effort not the times. I just need to keep reminding myself that!
  • eep223
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    summer is generally when I switch my ride times from PM to early AM...it sucks and I hate getting up at 4:45/5 AM but it beats riding in 100* + temperatures.

I truly wish I could do that. I miss my morning runs! Getting up too early is wayyy easier than dealing with this heat!
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I go early, 0530. Even in the winter, but in the summer it's perfect. Hot but no sun. Heatstroke is no joke, go slow if you need to.
  • mommarnurse
    mommarnurse Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    eep223 wrote: »
    Thanks, some great tips here! I especially appreciate the less time in the ac and the frozen water bottle advice. It's hard because I've been trying to build back up to running from run/walking, and as the weather gets hotter I just feel like I'm not progressing. But you're right, it's about the effort not the times. I just need to keep reminding myself that!

Yesterday I discovered that I could run repeated loops of the shady part of the trails at a nearby park and it made a huge difference.
  • caitlinrn83
    caitlinrn83 Posts: 178 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    South Alabama here. I go at 0415-it's the only time it's not miserably oppressive.
  • jaxCarrie
    jaxCarrie Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I live in Florida and (for me) it takes about 2-3 weeks to get used to running thru puddles (i.e. the air). I'm an AM runner though but my husband runs at night (after work). If the sun's out....some sort of hat (white instead of black). Go slower (someone else said it...run by feel, not by watch)....you'll be faster come fall!! Don't get discouraged. Summer is tough!!

If you are a heavy sweat'er, refuel with some gatorade in your bottle (mix with your water). If you are going out for more than 2-3 miles, take this concoction with you...it will help. If you do circles, you can always add an bandana soaked in ice water around your neck. That helps get your core temp down (more of a long run thing?). If you are going out for longer runs (like + 1 hour) I'd say salt pills, but it doesn't seem like you are going this far...and it's not for everyone.