Still hungry :(

Options
2»

Replies

• chelseamoberg13
    chelseamoberg13 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4 108ish lb & 25 years old. I maintain on 1800cal/day including a barre class and average of about 6,000 steps a day.

I still get super hungry at night on occasion though. Is this normal? I feel like 1800 calories is not many for maintenance...

I just listened to a podcast on how eating timing/meals etc are truly unique to each person. The gentleman who was talking spoke on how he fought his natural tendency to want to eat most of his calories at night for years (which led to lots of binges and weight gain). He finally decided to stop listening to what everyone else said was going to work & just do what his body wanted. He would eat a few snacks throughout the day & then eat most of his calories at night & found that worked the best for him. It helped him control his binges & he was able to loose/maintain weight his weight.

I know I used to struggle with the bedtime "munchies." For a long time after dinner I always had something to munch on while watching TV. Normally I wanted something sweet/not so healthy so I made a hard and fast rule that I don't eat after 8 (special occasions excluded). It took the temptation away & since doing that yes I have gone to bed hungry, but my breakfast is there in the morning.

I think that is totally normal - our bodies are so different day to day in how they function I can't imagine that wouldn't happen.

You could also test out what happens when you add in an extra 100-150 calories a day. The calculators online aren't always 100% accurate. That might be enough to help with the hungry thing.
  • ditabella89
    ditabella89 Posts: 4 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I'm 5'4 108ish lb & 25 years old. I maintain on 1800cal/day including a barre class and average of about 6,000 steps a day.

I still get super hungry at night on occasion though. Is this normal? I feel like 1800 calories is not many for maintenance...

Yes. I am 5'4 as well @ 117-118lbs & 26. I'm not a big fan of counting calories, I count my macros instead focusing on the calories. I train between 5-6 days a week (strength training) and my daily calories vary depending on the amount of work I will be doing that day. For example on days I am training bigger muscle groups I'll eat between 2000-2500 calories and on my off-day(s) I'll eat between 1600-1800cal. If you've maintained the same weight for a period of time then that amount of calories is just right.
    You might want to start looking at the quality of calories you're eating if you're feeling hungry. All liquid calories are not worth it. High protein and good natural fiber. Tilapia is a great low calorie protein along with canned albacore white tuna. Take a look at Pauline Nordin's Fighter Diet