Weightloss with a cancer diagnosis

Options
Sorry If this is the wrong place for this topic, or feel free to point me in the direction of another board already in existence. This past February I was told I had a tumor in the side of my face (under my ear, almost on my jaw) that was benign. It took me 8 months to get that information. After taking antibiotics, going for ultrasounds, doctor after doctor, I finally knew what was going on.I had the tumor removed May 3rd 2016. During 2016 I have been trying to lose weight, but I found myself exhausted everyday no matter what, sometimes I have no appetite, sometimes I couldn't keep anything down. I thought it was anxiety- So I went to my doctor and tried some different things to try to help. Nothing has. I found yesterday that I have cancer. I'm 30 and in relatively good health despite being overweight. I have been in pure shock since.
What I want to ask is if there are any supportive communities for people who are still trying to work on their weight loss journey while dealing with cancer. I meet with my oncologists tomorrow- to determine treatment moving forward (as far as I know it will be radiation, but no chemo) and although weightloss is not a top priority at the moment, I felt the MFP community would be a place where people would understand that it is still on my mind. I lost 60lbs in 2014-2015 and I am trying to keep moving forward, but I have found for the past 3-4 months I really cant lose anything. I don't gain, I just stay the same. and I'm always tired. always. I do try to eat relatively healthy, veggies, fruits, whole grains, and I was consistently going to the gym for about a month (in march) but I was just getting too exhausted to keep going.
Any advice, or support is greatly appreciated.
thank you <3

Replies

• maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    Everything I have read on the subject suggests that the goal when dealing with cancer is to eat for nutrition rather than weight loss, as your body needs to be supported through the process and intentional calorie-deficit adds stress. Additionally when it comes to exercise/activity, maintaining physical activity has a positive effect on quality of life during the cancer-healing process, and that pacing oneself is also critical. Rather than attempting "bouts" of exercise like one does when going to a gym, work on something simpler, like walking every day for shorter, multiple periods. Both of these conclusions have been borne out by various close family members who have met and successfully beaten cancer. Good luck in your journey!
  • Yasmin163
    Yasmin163 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Oh sweetheart that is horrendous for you to be dealing with. One thing for sure, there are plenty of help groups. Deal with one thing at a time. Stress will be a huge factor in weight gain. Try joining pilates or yoga for some stress relief but great for health & well being. Swimming will also be a great exercise for weight lose as well as easy on the body - which is essentail right now. There is a group called the Expert Patient Programme which hold self help groups for those suffering chronic conditions.
    They may be able to help in some way - even if its emotional support from those in the same position as you.
    Take it easy on yourself. Strong mind, strong body. With you all the way hun <3
  • Libby283
    Libby283 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Prayers to you and I hope you have a speedy recovery. Eat for nutrition. A few extra pounds will be helpful in your journey to good health so do not worry about losing them.
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    I wish you well with your treatments. I agree with the others, and unless you're very dangerously obese, your team of doctors will probably tell you to focus on eating well-balanced meals when possible and try to maintain your weight. Talk to your medical team about your weight concerns too. They can help you find a support team who help you with stress and your health, and that can definitely include your weight if you want to bring it up. And take someone with you whenever possible - they can help remember your conversations, take notes, and remind you of questions you have for your nurses and doctors between visits.

Chemotherapy and other treatments can cause nausea and loss of appetite, to a point where some patients lose a significant amount of weight. My dad's doctors were pleased that he didn't lose much weight during his 12 months of chemo and asked what his secret was - his answer was beer. Hearty laughs all around Try to remain active when you can and stay positive!
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    Cancer sucks.
    I would buy you a ninja mixer on sale at costco and tell you to make a green drink every day.
    Nutrition is key now. Put weight loss on vacation.
    I would avoid anything with added sugars for optimal nutrition.
  • mommazach
    mommazach Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I'm so very sorry to hear about your diagnosis. I'm sure you are very frightened. So far it looks as though you have gotten some very good information. Continued exercise is very helpful as it increases endorphins. The weight loss is going to depend on treatment options also. Your body may be maintaining due to what you are going through, I wouldn't focus on loss until you meet with your oncologist and find out what kind of therapy you will be going through. They'll have more information about your diet needs along with exercise abilities.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,022 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry that you are going through this. I agree with the others that you need to focus on nutrition and not worry about eating in a deficit. If you are hungry you should eat. If you are tired you should rest. I think yoga would be good and swimming or walking but I wouldn't try to do anything too strenuous unless you really feel up to it.
  • suzyjane1972
    suzyjane1972 Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    At the moment your body needs good nutrition to help it....I wouldn't try and diet while you are at this point. Eat to nourish.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Cancer sucks.
    I would buy you a ninja mixer on sale at costco and tell you to make a green drink every day.
    Nutrition is key now. Put weight loss on vacation.
    I would avoid anything with added sugars for optimal nutrition.

There's nothing magical about drinking vegetables and sugars don't ruin nutrition. Those ninja mixers make pretty darn good piña coladas however so that's good advice.

OP, listen to your physician. What are they telling you to do?
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I suppose focusing on your macros and nutrient-dense foods, while keeping as active as you can, could work great for you. I feel for you.
  • lalangela
    lalangela Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I am a 2 year survivor, and I gained a lot of weight while going through chemo. The doctor's are not concerned with weight loss, but I was. It was devastating to be going through this crap and have the weight pile on every week. There was nothing I could do. I had issues with my tongue reacting to the treatment (my tongue, really?!) and for 2 weeks my main source of nutrients was a peanut butter sandwich on white bread.

I know it's hard, but, if you change your calories to maintenance, rather than a deficit, you can probably offset any weight gain

And, don't be too hard on yourself. Your body will change, and it's going to be hard, but you can do it!
  • baciodolce18
    baciodolce18 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    You didn't mention what kind of cancer, but cancer and treatment have profound effects on the body. I'm sorry you're going through it at such a young age (I'm the same age as you). I've been helping my mom fight pancreatic cancer the past 2 years and being a GI cancer has messed up her eating big time. Even before the chemos. She's never done radiation so I don't know what those effects are like. But I suggest you get a dietician, one that has experience with cancer treatment, and eat for nutrition above all else. And as much as your body allows. There is research that suggests cancer feeds off sugar so I dunno, maybe limiting added sugars helps. It's hard to say. But talk to a dietician and find out if a calorie deficit is advisable. Maybe you can just do a 200-500 cal deficit and have it just be slower. You don't say either how much you weigh and how much further until goal. But just take care of you and listen to your body above all else.
  • Owlie45
    Owlie45 Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    Focus on nutritious foods. That will be the most important thing while fighting. But ofcourse get the goodies in when you can.
    Depending on your treatment you may not be able to stomach much. I know when my aunt and grandma were fighting cancer they couldn't but they had aggressive treatment.