Using Bento Boxes for lunches.

Options

Replies

• heatherdawson010
    heatherdawson010 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    After seeings all of the posts, I'm going to jump on the Bento Train.
  • Ginny218
    Ginny218 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    70lvs7o96jla.jpg

Sunmaid - Raisins Mini Box, 1 mini box 45
    Sunny Meadow - Jumbo Egg, 1 egg 90
    Tomatoes - Cherry Tomatoes - Heritage, 12 tomatoes 36
    Chop't - Chicken, 92 g 150
    Prunes - Prunes, 0.25 cup or 5 pieces 100
    Cranberries - Dried, sweetened, 1 tbsp(s) 23
    total 444
  • Ginny218
    Options
    my teddy bear crack - made him sunday left in mold. frozen chicken, tomatoes new, rest things to keep around the house for bento's - like the lunch thing - see some of my others.
  • Ginny218
    Options
    brrrrito
    what are those round cracker things and how many calories?
  • SpecialKitty7
    SpecialKitty7 Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    Ginny218 wrote: »
    my teddy bear crack - made him sunday left in mold. frozen chicken, tomatoes new, rest things to keep around the house for bento's - like the lunch thing - see some of my others.

I leave my eggs in the mold all the time. The trick is to put the mold in a sealed container. Sometimes if the egg feels like it's going to be tough to get out, I open it underwater.
  • Ginny218
    Options
    thanks
  • raelynnsmama52512
    raelynnsmama52512 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips, y'all! I'm going to try it out!
  • Ginny218
    Options
    pgx8lo9xydk1.jpg
    Natural peanut butter Great Value - Peanut Butter, 1 tbsp 95
    Nature's Best - Apricots, Dried, 6 pieces 100
    Naturipe - Strawberries, 65 gram 15
    sun maid raisins - Mini Raisins, 1 box 45
    Kraft - Macaroni & Cheese Deluxe, 0.5 cup 155 2
    Nature's Own - Bread - 100% Whole Wheat, 2 Slice (26g/0.9oz) 120
    Tomatoes - Cherry Tomatoes - Heritage, 9 tomatoes 27
    total 557
  • Ginny218
    Options
    yellow and red- need more variety in color...
  • melissamarie414
    melissamarie414 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    i've been inspired by this thread to do some bento-ing :) I want to get this one: https://en.bentoandco.com/collections/bento-boxes-newest-oldest/products/kotoritachi-bento?variant=1166800441

will it hold enough food? my lunches typically stay around 500 calories. if anyone has the same type of box, could you post pics with food in them? thanks!
  • VegetableFrog
    VegetableFrog Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I use a Bentgo box to pack my food in for work days. It holds my breakfast, lunch, and a couple small snacks when healthy snacks aren't available at work. I usually pack leftovers and things that don't need to be reheated in a microwave.
  • Ginny218
    Options
    So, random question, would you guys recommend bento-ing even for us now SAHM's (aka stay at home moms)? I'm really big on planning, especially with meals, since we're on a really tight budget, but I don't know if it would work to do bentos for a week at a time. Would they go bad before we got around to eating them, or do y'all have any tips to prevent that?

Depends on what's in them. Today's lunch for example was frozen this morning, but I put it my box frozen and by lunch it was thawed. I wouldn't keep shrimp hanging out in the fridge for multiple days. But I also make one out of chicken, rice & black beans that would easily hold for a week (I've done it!). Most of your veggies if raw should make it a week, but cooked ones won't. I'd recommend grabbing some tupperware/gladware and giving it a go. It's what I started with since I originally felt the need to microwave my food.

There's no reason a SAHM shouldn't get to have a pretty, organized lunch too. The kiddos would probably enjoy it as well.
    brrrrito wrote: »
    Is a PlanetBox considered Bento? I love mine!! I always post my lunches to my instagram - Brrrrito

Absolutely! Bento is simply a home packed lunch. @mangrothian can explain it better than I can. Awesome cats on your IG btw.

l have things that are in freezer , in pkg pre measured, leftover night before, veg and fruit cut up ... or steamed vegnight before, eggs - i can do about 4 days in advance, rice molded 2 or 3 days some freeze that- i usually make the bento night before few minutes with stuff on hand kinda preplan how much is in the house...
  • Ginny218
    Options
    i've been inspired by this thread to do some bento-ing :) I want to get this one: https://en.bentoandco.com/collections/bento-boxes-newest-oldest/products/kotoritachi-bento?variant=1166800441

will it hold enough food? my lunches typically stay around 500 calories. if anyone has the same type of box, could you post pics with food in them? thanks!

some says #of ml - is number of calories - my glass is 750ml - but i use about 550 calories - mines not stuffed
  • Ginny218
    Options
    inv9zic3h06o.jpg
    Nature's Best - Apricots, Dried, 6 pieces 100
    Sunmaid - Raisins Mini Box, 1 mini box 45
    Black Cherries - Fresh, 5 cherry 25
    Turkey Deli Meat(Gv) - Turkey, 2 oz 50
    Tortillas - Ole High Fiber Low Carb Tortillas, 1 Tortilla 50
    Laughing Cow - Lite Creamy Swiss Cheese Wedge, 1 wedge (21g) 35
    Helva Good! - Sharp Cheedar Cheese, 19 gram 74
    Great Value - Banana Chips, 1/2 cup - 34g 170
    Driscoll's - Raspberries (Fresh, Raw), 57 gram 24
    total calories 573
  • Ginny218
    Options
    if i need to microwave mine - use a silicone cup and take out and microwave
  • Amerane
    Amerane Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Today's bento:
    vl23q6lhdchq.jpg
    Octopus rice, stir fried choi sum with garlic and buna shimeji, ginger salmon, and carrot and daikon pickles.

Bentos from earlier this year:
    paovtgvdbzr4.jpg
    Bbq eel, rice, daikon pickle, celery, grape tomatoes, and daikon and carrot pickles.

poa0llythkvm.jpg
    Miso chicken, rice, asparagus, bell pepper, and the flower is made of pickled ginger

• SpecialKitty7
    SpecialKitty7 Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    @Amerane I recently discovered I love the taste of miso, that chicken looks super good.

Here's today's bento in my new super-cute kitty bento. Jasmine rice and shrimp soaked in the leftover broth from my absurdly tasty sesame ramen from the other day, carrots and broccoli. For the poster that asked about letting a bento sit around for a day or so, I made this Monday night for Tuesday's bento, but then it sat in the fridge until today as we had an unexpected celebration lunch yesterday. Still tastes as good as it looks.

cr2v1egldrc9.jpg
  • mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options

I have quite a few that are around that size and smaller that I can get a 500Cal lunch in to - and I've found that depending on the food, you could get 500Cal into a 200ml container if you really wanted to, so yes, it would be big enough.

If you have a 500/550ml container (or two smaller ones) that are gladware/tupperware around the house, test it that way first ;)
  • mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    Oh, and I am around, sneakily 'liking' and 'awesoming' posts, but as to bentoing, life has put a lot of my food prep time on hold, so hence my lack of pictures. Seeing everyone else's pictures keeps me all warm, fuzzy, and bento'd up inside :D
  • bvff35
    bvff35 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    leggup wrote: »
    I think bentos are adorable, but you'd have to pry my microwavable vented soup mug from my cold, dead hands. Hot soups get me through the winter. Also, how does one eat high volume veggies with a bento box? I do a lot of meal prep, but I think I would find the bentos limiting. I use rubbermaid tupperware and ziplock bags, plus some pre-packaged items like granola bars.

I instagram is covered with bento ideas. Check out #bento and #bentobox for ideas galore.

What is your specific mug? I like hot soup in the winter too! :-)