Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Interesting way that people excuse their overweight / obesity

Options

Replies

• moe0303
    moe0303 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    xmichaelyx wrote: »
    Physics doesn't lie. If CICO didn't work 100% of the time, sub-Saharan Africa would be packed with fat people, instead of people who look like they're made of sticks.

Not exactly - it would only take 1 person to prove it doesn't work 100% of the time, so "packed with fat people" is an enormous exaggeration. From photographers trying to document starvation conditions, do you think that person ever gets attention?

Fine let's say CICO works 99.99999+% percent of the time. Then we can be in agreement.

I'm not sure what the actual numbers are, but I agree it works in an overwhelming majority of cases. However, there are some situations where it is not that simple. The MFP forums will have a disproportionately larger share than the population as a whole simply because this is where those who struggle with weight loss (when following CICO) are likely to seek help. For many of those seeking help, there are CICO-based solutions (tighter logging, for example), but there are still going to be some who cannot be helped by those CICO-based answers. And of all places in the world to find such a person, the MFP forums are one of the most likely places to encounter people who don't fit the CICO mold.

I absolutely agree with you that there are unusual, outlier cases (though they're rare). What I disagree about is the nature of those cases, even while agreeing that it isn't necessarily always "will power" or logging or somesuch.

IMO, there are people for whom the regular calorie-needs calculators/estimators are way, way off. (I'm one, at the moment, but in the happier direction. I have MFP friends who are outliers in the unhappy direction, and I believe them.) Yup, those people are more likely to post in the forums.

IMO, this does not mean "CICO doesn't work". Their personal calories in and their personal calories out still need to be in the relationship of CI < CO in order for them to lose weight. But something's seriously out of whack, in those very, very few cases, in how their CI or CO operate.

I don't know what it is. It's probably different for all of them. Could be the difference between the "organic apple" and the "pesticide-soaked apple" mentioned above. Could be that they're fidget-y people or non-fidget-y (which makes a surprisingly large difference on the CO side). Could be a metabolic medical issue. Could be gut microbiome. Who knows? But CI < CO to lose weight really, really is just physics.

(edited to fix typo)

I agree. In most cases of the practical application of CICO, we are talking about an estimation formula on one side being in balance with an estimation formula on the other side. When you throw in estimates for CI (such as volume, nutritional value, content) and estimates for CO (like intensity, LBM, time, activity), you have many tiers of estimates each of which carries some margin of error which hold a potential to be compounded throughout the equation.
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    DrEnalg wrote: »
    I'm kind of interested in the way people explain their behavior. One example is pertinent to weight loss / diet. I was having a debate with my girlfriend about this, who was arguing what basically sounded like the set-point theory to me. The argument went something like this:

Me: "I think anyone can lose weight, it's just a matter of CICO."

Her: "Except that people's bodies naturally have a certain preference for a certain weight. You can force your body down to a particular weight, but then your body will want to go back to the weight it was at."

Anyone notice anything strange about this kind of use of language? As if "you" are separate from "your body." How can a "body" want something (like, a preferred weight range) without a person controlling it? Isn't this a strange use of language, like we're somehow divorced from our bodies?

Anyways, just a philosophical point really.

I... really don't like the word "excuse", to be honest. It implies a fault, flaw, or moral failing that one is trying to justify. I don't think being overweight or obese is a fault or flaw.

I'm not trying to be a pedantic jerk, but it really is important to be careful about the words we use. "Reasons" for being overweight/obese? Fine. Reasons do not carry a connotation of fault or the implication that the respondent should feel ashamed.

I had plenty of reasons for being overweight. I didn't know my maintenance calories. I ate to deal with negative (and positive!) emotions. I was in denial. I really like food. I figured it was due to HBC and/or PCOS I likely don't actually have.

I wouldn't consider any of these things excuses. To say that they were excuses implies that the "right" thing to do is lose weight. Losing weight is a very personal decision, and not one to give moral overtones.

I think you make a fair point. But I would also argue that some people do use things as an excuse.

I used to say that my health problems were 50% responsible for my weight and that I was responsible for the rest. Well, hey, I owned 50% of it, but I wasn't doing anything about that half I couldn't excuse. In reality the health problems contributed to physical inactivity but I was 100% responsible for the portions I consumed. Feeling tired and in pain didn't make me fat. My hands and mouth did. I was making excuses, and making those health problems worse. I am not hurt by anyone pointing that out. It's the truth.

Now the health issues are being addressed and obviously I'm doing well. No one would be doing me any favors to be sympathetic to my past. They don't have to be jerks, but truth is truth.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Physics doesn't lie. If CICO didn't work 100% of the time, sub-Saharan Africa would be packed with fat people, instead of people who look like they're made of sticks.

Not exactly - it would only take 1 person to prove it doesn't work 100% of the time, so "packed with fat people" is an enormous exaggeration. From photographers trying to document starvation conditions, do you think that person ever gets attention?

Fine let's say CICO works 99.99999+% percent of the time. Then we can be in agreement.

I'm not sure what the actual numbers are, but I agree it works in an overwhelming majority of cases. However, there are some situations where it is not that simple. The MFP forums will have a disproportionately larger share than the population as a whole simply because this is where those who struggle with weight loss (when following CICO) are likely to seek help. For many of those seeking help, there are CICO-based solutions (tighter logging, for example), but there are still going to be some who cannot be helped by those CICO-based answers. And of all places in the world to find such a person, the MFP forums are one of the most likely places to encounter people who don't fit the CICO mold.

I absolutely agree with you that there are unusual, outlier cases (though they're rare). What I disagree about is the nature of those cases, even while agreeing that it isn't necessarily always "will power" or logging or somesuch.

IMO, there are people for whom the regular calorie-needs calculators/estimators are way, way off. (I'm one, at the moment, but in the happier direction. I have MFP friends who are outliers in the unhappy direction, and I believe them.) Yup, those people are more likely to post in the forums.

IMO, this does not mean "CICO doesn't work". Their personal calories in and their personal calories out still need to be in the relationship of CI < CO in order for them to lose weight. But something's seriously out of whack, in those very, very few cases, in how their CI or CO operate.

I don't know what it is. It's probably different for all of them. Could be the difference between the "organic apple" and the "pesticide-soaked apple" mentioned above. Could be that they're fidget-y people or non-fidget-y (which makes a surprisingly large difference on the CO side). Could be a metabolic medical issue. Could be gut microbiome. Who knows? But CI < CO to lose weight really, really is just physics.

(edited to fix typo)

I think some of this is semantics. Even if CICO does work, in situations where nobody can understand exactly why a particular person can't make it work as expected, it doesn't make any difference to that person whether there is some explanation somewhere that explains that it is all just CICO and the factors that make it up are unknown. It doesn't make a difference between saying that CICO works and there are unknown factors affecting the formula when compared with saying it doesn't work. As I would see things, the formula isn't working - there may be an explanation for why it isn't working, and maybe that explanation is that a person's BMR suddenly dropped 1K calories per day for a perfectly legitimate reason. But if that reason is unknown and a solution is therefore unknown, then CICO isn't working for them. Sure, the math might be there somewhere hidden away, but if it doesn't help a person lose weight, by definition, it doesn't work.

To me, that is not semantics. The estimation of CI/CO, or the process of calorie counting is not working for the person. That would be clear. But the underlying physics doesn't change.

If they think the whole thing is invalid, they may just give up entirely or try something completely counter to CICO which would of course be a failure. At least if they keep in mind that CICO still holds true, they know in general how to make adjustments that will eventually make them successful (and if medical issues make those adjustments inadvisable, they know that, too).
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »

(edited to fix typo)

I think some of this is semantics. Even if CICO does work, in situations where nobody can understand exactly why a particular person can't make it work as expected, it doesn't make any difference to that person whether there is some explanation somewhere that explains that it is all just CICO and the factors that make it up are unknown. It doesn't make a difference between saying that CICO works and there are unknown factors affecting the formula when compared with saying it doesn't work. As I would see things, the formula isn't working - there may be an explanation for why it isn't working, and maybe that explanation is that a person's BMR suddenly dropped 1K calories per day for a perfectly legitimate reason. But if that reason is unknown and a solution is therefore unknown, then CICO isn't working for them. Sure, the math might be there somewhere hidden away, but if it doesn't help a person lose weight, by definition, it doesn't work.

To me, that is not semantics. The estimation of CI/CO, or the process of calorie counting is not working for the person. That would be clear. But the underlying physics doesn't change.

If they think the whole thing is invalid, they may just give up entirely or try something completely counter to CICO which would of course be a failure. At least if they keep in mind that CICO still holds true, they know in general how to make adjustments that will eventually make them successful (and if medical issues make those adjustments inadvisable, they know that, too).

It really is not that simple. Here is an example: I once was frustrated at how slowly I was losing weight, so I cut calorie intake by 500 calories / day. I didn't make any changes to how I was measuring calorie intake nor did I make any changes to how I was measuring calories out. Almost immediately, I began to gain weight at a pace of almost 2 lbs. / week. So I increased my deficit and the result changed from a slow loss to a fast gain. While I'm sure there is a scientific explanation for this result, I don't really know what it is. Maybe the scientific explanation, whatever it is, fits within CICO. Even if that is the case, the general adjustments one would make when considering CICO didn't work. In my situation, I returned to a smaller deficit and started losing weight again... slowly again (and was further behind at this point). In that case, CICO didn't work... at least not in a way that knowing in general how to make adjustments did any good.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    Options
    paulgads82 wrote: »
    I honestly find it hard to believe you cut calories by 500 and gained weight.

Most people find it hard to believe... especially those who can't imagine any variability or possibility outside of CICO. I've had other experiences that disprove CICO, except I don't often understand what exactly gave me those results. Some have argued in this thread that results that disprove CICO only indicate unknown variables within CICO... that CICO is infallible by itself. I admit that is a possibility, but then it doesn't really make a difference if the variables are not known. I also admit that most people - on and off of MFP - can make CICO work every time, and it is really simple for those people. That doesn't mean it is simple for 100% of us. And I'll repeat my earlier point: MFP forums will likely have a higher concentration of people for whom CICO does not work than the population as a whole.

I don't understand the science that would explain some of my outcomes, and most MFP users (perhaps all MFP users) also don't understand it. That doesn't necessarily mean there isn't an explanation - it just means that the explanation isn't yet known.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    Options
    tomteboda wrote: »
    I'm kind of interested in the way people explain their behavior. One example is pertinent to weight loss / diet. I was having a debate with my girlfriend about this, who was arguing what basically sounded like the set-point theory to me. The argument went something like this:

Her: "Except that people's bodies naturally have a certain preference for a certain weight. You can force your body down to a particular weight, but then your body will want to go back to the weight it was at."

Anyone notice anything strange about this kind of use of language? As if "you" are separate from "your body." How can a "body" want something (like, a preferred weight range) without a person controlling it? Isn't this a strange use of language, like we're somehow divorced from our bodies?

I... really don't like the word "excuse", to be honest. It implies a fault, flaw, or moral failing that one is trying to justify. I don't think being overweight or obese is a fault or flaw.

I'm not trying to be a pedantic jerk, but it really is important to be careful about the words we use. "Reasons" for being overweight/obese? Fine. Reasons do not carry a connotation of fault or the implication that the respondent should feel ashamed.

I had plenty of reasons for being overweight. I didn't know my maintenance calories. I ate to deal with negative (and positive!) emotions. I was in denial. I really like food. I figured it was due to HBC and/or PCOS I likely don't actually have.

I wouldn't consider any of these things excuses. To say that they were excuses implies that the "right" thing to do is lose weight. Losing weight is a very personal decision, and not one to give moral overtones.

I agree with this 100%. The use of the word "excuse" in this thread bothered me from the beginning. It implies that people have to justify their weight to others, and owe a body of standard weight to society, neither of which is true.

It is a form of fat shaming.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options

How about reading a study about the body's set point??

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2990627/

How to reset your body's set point............

http://www.bidmc.org/YourHealth/BIDMCInteractive/BreakThroughYourSetPoint/WeekOneTheScienceofSetPoint.aspx
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    Options

(edited to fix typo)

It really is not that simple. Here is an example: I once was frustrated at how slowly I was losing weight, so I cut calorie intake by 500 calories / day. I didn't make any changes to how I was measuring calorie intake nor did I make any changes to how I was measuring calories out. Almost immediately, I began to gain weight at a pace of almost 2 lbs. / week. So I increased my deficit and the result changed from a slow loss to a fast gain. While I'm sure there is a scientific explanation for this result, I don't really know what it is. Maybe the scientific explanation, whatever it is, fits within CICO. Even if that is the case, the general adjustments one would make when considering CICO didn't work. In my situation, I returned to a smaller deficit and started losing weight again... slowly again (and was further behind at this point). In that case, CICO didn't work... at least not in a way that knowing in general how to make adjustments did any good.

So, being aware of CICO, you wouldn't think, "Hey, I just decreased calories and have started gaining weight really quickly. Not possible that's normal fat gain. Maybe I have some edema or some such going on. I should visit the doctor ASAP."

You don't think that'd be helpful, as opposed to: "Hey, I just decreased calories and have started gaining weight really quickly. CICO is a load of crap. I've probably gone into starvation mode because I'm eating too little. I should do <insert diet> to lose weight and not bother visiting a doctor to find out what the heck is going on."

Did I say I didn't see a dr.?! Part of the reason I'm sure most MFP users can't understand the science is because I figure if an ivy-league educated physician can't understand it with much more insight than what I've shared here, then chances are that most MFP users can't understand it.

Still, the conclusion is that things are much more complicated than basic CICO. Sorry to burst your bubble, but not everything is simple and easy for everyone.
  • biggsterjackster
    biggsterjackster Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I am convinced I reached my weight set point at BMI 23. Easy to maintain. Easy to lose weight when I gain a bit and hard to lose more weight. It's like my body says: I feel great at exactly this weight. Please don't gain and please don't lose anymore. I believe in a Set Point within the normal BMI Range.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options

http://www.bidmc.org/YourHealth/BIDMCInteractive/BreakThroughYourSetPoint/WeekOneTheScienceofSetPoint.aspx

Set point is ridiculous and has been proven that it is not valid. The study was many years ago, never completed, and inconclusive, and yet many people latch onto it like it's a real thing.

Agree and disagree. I see more studies saying there is a set point rooted in biological factors, but it isn't at an obese level and studies mostly indicate standard fat stores for seasonal changes. The BIGGEST factor mentioned in most studies for current obesity is over eating. Here is one excerpt:
    It is sometimes opined that as obesity has become much more prevalent recently, then any underlying biological factors are most likely to be have become less relatively important. There is little doubt that the average population BMI has increased over the last 50 years and more rapidly over the last 10 to 20 years. There are relatively identifiable drivers for this, including the easy and cheap availability of highly palatable food and the reduction in the need for physical activity in work and leisure time.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Timshel_ wrote: »

Set point is ridiculous and has been proven that it is not valid. The study was many years ago, never completed, and inconclusive, and yet many people latch onto it like it's a real thing.

Agree and disagree. I see more studies saying there is a set point rooted in biological factors, but it isn't at an obese level and studies mostly indicate standard fat stores for seasonal changes. The BIGGEST factor mentioned in most studies for current obesity is over eating. Here is one excerpt:

It is sometimes opined that as obesity has become much more prevalent recently, then any underlying biological factors are most likely to be have become less relatively important. There is little doubt that the average population BMI has increased over the last 50 years and more rapidly over the last 10 to 20 years. There are relatively identifiable drivers for this, including the easy and cheap availability of highly palatable food and the reduction in the need for physical activity in work and leisure time.

You don't say