Hilarious "Dieting" idea from the past, does anyone remember this? Please share yours too.

Options

Replies

• Devol82
    Devol82 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    AlciaMode wrote: »
    As for more recent ones I saw claims that vitamin B shots will make you loose weight. Nuts. I rather be a rolly polly than let someone stick me with needles.

Recently I actually gave the vitamin b injections at a weight loss place, I felt pretty bad for the people. $150.00 for 8 injections. I finally quit because I couldn't stand seeing really nice people being screwed over.
  • CorneliusPhoton
    CorneliusPhoton Posts: 965 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Devol82 wrote: »
    AlciaMode wrote: »
    As for more recent ones I saw claims that vitamin B shots will make you loose weight. Nuts. I rather be a rolly polly than let someone stick me with needles.

Recently I actually gave the vitamin b injections at a weight loss place, I felt pretty bad for the people. $150.00 for 8 injections. I finally quit because I couldn't stand seeing really nice people being screwed over.

What would the claimed advantage of an injection be over just taking a sublingual methyl b12?
  • a_candler
    a_candler Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    My aunt and I did the cabbage soup diet. The soup was good and you could eat as much of that as you wanted. I don't remember the rest of the diet just know we didn't make it very long lol
  • suzyjane1972
    suzyjane1972 Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Milk and banana,.herbalife, slim fast, well let's just say if it was out there I tried it.
  • CorneliusPhoton
    CorneliusPhoton Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Stupid things I tried in the past:
    • Slim Fast shakes
    • Chroma Slim (I believe the plan consisted of zero fat, high carb, and chromium picolinate pills)
    • Eating nothing but citrus fruit for a week (could have been worse, I guess)
    • Wishing I was slim, thinking that someday I would be, without ever starting something
    Slightly better things:
    • The Zone diet
    • South Beach
    Best thing, my Forever Plan:
    • Eat whatever I want, maintaining a calorie deficit for weight loss and at my TDEE for long term maintenance.

I forgot that I also did Nutrisystem!!! Yuck.
    Gosh, I have been a yoyo for way too long!!!
  • MikaMojito
    MikaMojito Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    When I was in my teens, there was a lot of diet stuff at my home. My mum did slimfast, she drank mate tea, she bought apple cider vinegar to be had before each meal. There was a lot of low-fat cooking or stupidly small pasta sizes. And I was signed up for aerobics. None of that made me slim even though I participated.

I did get slim by going on a self-designed diet that consisted of cupasoup, undressed lettuce and - as a treat - these weird individually wrapped squared that I think were made of prunes of sth like that. I lost weight like mad. In retrospective I realized how close I was to a fully fledged eating disorder.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    JaneSnowe wrote: »
    I had a friend tell me she was on an Atkins diet, or some variation of that.

She had a hunk of dried out steak for breakfast and a larger hunk of dried out steak for lunch.

I remember her s-l-o-w-l-y making her way through those pieces of steak, chewing and chewing and chewing ... and I remember me thinking, "I just couldn't!!"

That lasted maybe 2 weeks.

So weird. Why dried out? Did she like it well done?

I guess.

Personally, I hate steak. It's awful. But if I am going to eat it, it has to be really well done. So I get that ... but it also seemed to be the toughest cut of steak available. Took her ages to eat it. Or maybe she really didn't like steak that much either? But somehow she was under the impression that all she could eat was meat.

She probably saw hoe expensive a good cut of steak was. Good steak, when cooked properly, is divine. Shoe leather is not.
  • JaneSnowe
    JaneSnowe Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    wizzybeth wrote: »

She had a hunk of dried out steak for breakfast and a larger hunk of dried out steak for lunch.

I remember her s-l-o-w-l-y making her way through those pieces of steak, chewing and chewing and chewing ... and I remember me thinking, "I just couldn't!!"

I guess.

Personally, I hate steak. It's awful. But if I am going to eat it, it has to be really well done. So I get that ... but it also seemed to be the toughest cut of steak available. Took her ages to eat it. Or maybe she really didn't like steak that much either? But somehow she was under the impression that all she could eat was meat.

She probably saw hoe expensive a good cut of steak was. Good steak, when cooked properly, is divine. Shoe leather is not.

Yup. I hated steak too until I learned that my parents always cooked it to death. A nice medium rare cut in a restaurant that knows it's business is a bit of heaven that fits into my calories easily.
  • MamaFunky
    MamaFunky Posts: 735 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    In the 90's one of the diet fads was to keep your fat grams under 20 per day. So sad to think back at that now. Gotta have my fat. :p
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    ubermofish wrote: »
    How about the tumblrina's idea of "intuitive eating" where you eat whatever you want because "your body is telling you that it needs it". And that they'll even out at the healthiest weight for their body.

My friend tried that diet. Didn't work.
  • cryptobrit
    cryptobrit Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I remember Ayds. I still have a used box that contains old PG Tips cards :-P
  • ubermofish
    ubermofish Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    wizzybeth wrote: »
    ubermofish wrote: »
    How about the tumblrina's idea of "intuitive eating" where you eat whatever you want because "your body is telling you that it needs it". And that they'll even out at the healthiest weight for their body.

My friend tried that diet. Didn't work.

No kidding, lol
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

I guess.

I think this happens OFTEN. People learn one thing about a diet like "you can eat meat with every meal" and never learn about the actual diet, like how Atkins encourages leafy green vegetables in large quantities.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    MamaFunky wrote: »
    In the 90's one of the diet fads was to keep your fat grams under 20 per day. So sad to think back at that now. Gotta have my fat. :p

Oh.....sounds like the "T-Factor" diet. I worked with a gal who did this. She didn't lose weight (could be the pound and a half of grapes she liked as a snack).

Anyone remember - Dexatrim, Accutrim, etc? Originally marketed as cold tablets (Contac) - side effect was loss of appetite. The catch - that side effect only lasted a few days. Wonder if the "new" versions still use the same cold medicine.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    The Rotation Diet from the 1980's. This had you zig-zag your calories (not unlike 5:2). However (unlike 5:2) the Rotation Diet was a weekly average calories of less than 1200 calories a day.....no thanks.
  • suzyjane1972
    suzyjane1972 Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    The food combining diet.
  • sissy56
    sissy56 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Mine was a fitness plan. 13y o me in "sauna shorts" of inflatable green rubber, jumping rope in my garage on 100plus degree days.
  • lynnette406
    lynnette406 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    My mom and I did one when I was on high schoolmate 80ies, the Cookie Diet lol. She paid for these special cookies that were "good" for you and we would eat only cookies three times a day lol, made it maybe a week. (That was only because she paid so much for all the "special" cookies .