Am I looking at this realistically???

Options

Replies

• kristinhull1
    kristinhull1 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I already see a therapist for my cutting and mental illnesses. They never really said anything about my binge eating though. I take 4 different medications for PTSD, postpartum, Social Anxiety and Depression. I havent had the need to binge yet but I know its going to happen. Im not hungry in between meals but the craving of food is what gets me.

But have YOU, though? Do they even know this is an issue you are struggling with? Have you told them to what extent you are suffering from binging?

Yes I did....They thought after getting my depression problems fixed that I would quit the bingeing. But everyone can see that didnt help
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    You asked how to get a weekly total. The Android app will give you a weekly total and a weekly average. Pull down the menu on the left, click "nutrition" and set it to "weekly" and "net". It will give you a graph of each day's calories and then down below it will list all the statistics. The weekly average is what I go by.

I think you can get this online as well. Not sure about iOS.

I have a binging tendency. It seems to be related to anxiety for me - if food is there, I feel that it has to get eaten or it will be wasted and that would be Wrong. It's also an attempt to feed emotional hunger, be it anxiety, sadness, hurt. I haven't been so prone recently, which may be related to being on anxiety meds. I will still stuff my face, but there's less compulsive bingeing than there once was.

I agree you should not try to make up for a binge.it only feeds the cycle. Draw a line under it and move on.
  • kristinhull1
    kristinhull1 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    So if I dont binge it really wont mess up everything.
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    I think different people have different ideas as to what "binge eating" actually entails. For me, a binge is eating as much as I possibly can to the point that I feel physically sick, and then continuing to eat a little more, and more. It's far more than "x food sounds really good.. but I shouldn't eat it..." and then having a little more than I should.
    I probably eat upwards of 5000+ calories from one "binge", and that's not including other food throughout the day. That's just an estimate as I've never attempted to track it. I eat anything and everything, junk food and fast food. Entire bags of chips.
    Applying your question to my situation, no, I do not believe that binge eating can not be a part of a health or weightloss journey. Will it still be a struggle? Yes. But I don't feel like trying to plan for over eating is the right way to go about it. For me, knowing I am working to overcome it is a better option than worrying when it will inevitably happen again.
    I have tried the "cheat meal" method in the past, and personally that was a terrible idea and just allowed me to binge without guilt, and caused me to obsess over all the things I was going to eat later in the week, because "cheat day/meal."
    Things that have helped me and have been suggested that I will try to implement in the future when necessary (most of which have been mentioned, but I will say again) -
    Having a higher calorie budget so you don't feel as deprived, fitting in foods that you love (cheesecake and chips for me), finding an activity to help you when you get the urge to binge (take a walk, read, music, sleep), planning ahead to avoid hunger (sometimes my binges are emotional, but feeling "starved" can also be a trigger for me). And for some people, avoiding foods that may be triggers.
  • ACSL3
    ACSL3 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    When you feel the urge to binge, have you ever tried drinking a full glass of water and then sticking a piece of sugar-free gum in your mouth? It may give you some time to get over that binge feeling. Find a hobby, go for a walk, something to take your mind off of food.

I do this, but with tea. I find the hot tea soothing and some of the teas I have taste a bit sweet without having any actual sugar in them :smile:
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    I've got a thought about this that I haven't seen mentioned. Having reduced the number of calories I eat, I don't think I'd be capable of the kind of binge you're describing- I just physically couldn't eat that much at one time any more. However, if you continue to binge once a week, I wonder if you will, in fact, remain capable of it, and thus it will continue to be a danger for you. If you can commit to a better lifestyle, with room for occasional splurges, I promise eventually a binge will lose its allure for you.
  • pvju
    pvju Posts: 115 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    You can beat binge eating - I call it black out eating. I used to just dig into everything and not really "come to" and realize what I'd done until it was too late. Food was my friend, my comfort, my go to for stress - it was basically the only time I was happy, but it was a crappy friend because it just made me feel so much worse.

My advice:

1. Figure out which foods trigger a binge (for me it's certain carbs - cheese/caramel popcorn, chocolates, cheetos), then make the decision to not have them in your house until you've lost the weight and gotten this binge-eating under control.

2. Track calories so you can plan a treat here and there without going over calories.

3. Indulge in lots proteins/fats: shrimp, lobster, steak. Snack on rolled up lunch meats, a scoop of cottage cheese, a boiled egg - that will leave room for the occasional treat.

4. Find other comforts - listen to happy music every day, read inspirational books, sit in the garden, draw or paint - find other ways to check out and soothe yourself.

5. Get angry if that motivates you - I thought about people who'd made sniping comments about my weight, about my boyfriend who always seemed hell bent on sabotaging me whenever I tried to diet.
  • kareeRose
    kareeRose Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    emmylootwo wrote: »
    Remember you need a 3500 calorie deficit in one week in order to lose a pound a week. If you binge eat just make up for it with exercise and a deficit.

^^^ AWFUL ADVICE. Please, for the love of god, do not try to make up for any binge whether it's 500 calories or 10,000 calories with exercise, fasting, diuretics or laxatives, or any other form of purging (including vomiting, of course). Work on finding the emotional triggers to your binges. Eat nutritious and filling foods to help keep bingeing in check and try working at a lower deficit (.5-1lb a week). You don't have much to lose anyway. See a therapist and/or nutritionist. And when you binge (I still do occasionally 2 years since seeking recovery for my bulimia; bingeing does not disappear over night), forgive yourself and move on. I cannot stress this enough: DO NOT EXERCISE TO MAKE UP FOR A BINGE. Take it from me, it is a super slippery slope down from there.
    Some people on here swear by "cheat days" they just subtract a little from each day to be able to indulge when they want. Are you saying that if you don't plan for it ahead and take away calories from following days then that makes it a bad thing?
  • not_a_runner
    Options
    kareeRose wrote: »
    Remember you need a 3500 calorie deficit in one week in order to lose a pound a week. If you binge eat just make up for it with exercise and a deficit.

^^^ AWFUL ADVICE. Please, for the love of god, do not try to make up for any binge whether it's 500 calories or 10,000 calories with exercise, fasting, diuretics or laxatives, or any other form of purging (including vomiting, of course). Work on finding the emotional triggers to your binges. Eat nutritious and filling foods to help keep bingeing in check and try working at a lower deficit (.5-1lb a week). You don't have much to lose anyway. See a therapist and/or nutritionist. And when you binge (I still do occasionally 2 years since seeking recovery for my bulimia; bingeing does not disappear over night), forgive yourself and move on. I cannot stress this enough: DO NOT EXERCISE TO MAKE UP FOR A BINGE. Take it from me, it is a super slippery slope down from there.
    Some people on here swear by "cheat days" they just subtract a little from each day to be able to indulge when they want. Are you saying that if you don't plan for it ahead and take away calories from following days then that makes it a bad thing?
    A "cheat day/meal" isn't the same thing as binge eating. People who make cheats work for them usually cap it at a single untracked meal, or have a day that is a little more flexible than usual or with higher calories. They don't go on an all out binge.
    Binge eating is something that is very hard to gain control over, and you can easily blow an entire week's deficit in one episode, even if you were taking a little more from each day, and further restricting calories can be a binge trigger for many people.
    Personally, I don't feel that binge eating is something we should try to plan for. That's setting yourself up for failure before you even get started.
    Subtracting a little to fit in a treat is not binge eating.
  • kareeRose
    Options

A "cheat day/meal" isn't the same thing as binge eating. People who make cheats work for them usually cap it at a single untracked meal, or have a day that is a little more flexible than usual or with higher calories. They don't go on an all out binge.
    Binge eating is something that is very hard to gain control over, and you can easily blow an entire week's deficit in one episode, even if you were taking a little more from each day, and further restricting calories can be a binge trigger for many people.
    Personally, I don't feel that binge eating is something we should try to plan for. That's setting yourself up for failure before you even get started.

Ok, but your suggesting that if one has eaten 500 calories that they didn't plan for they SHOULD NOT make up for it if they want. I don't think 500 calories is an all out binge, to me that's an extra meal or a treat. I just think it's more of a guilt thing, I don't think you should feel guilty about it and let it take you off course. I do feel that if you want you should be able to work those calories off if that's what you choose. Now if it's a 3,000 -10,000 all out binge, i understand that we cannot out run our fork, and tomorrow is a new day.
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    pvju wrote: »
    My advice:

1. Figure out which foods trigger a binge (for me it's certain carbs - cheese/caramel popcorn, chocolates, cheetos)

I'm sorry to nitpick, but these "carbs" are all full of fat. Carbs don't contain fat. It's most likely the fat and salt content in these that triggers a binge, not the carbs.
  • ashliedelgado
    ashliedelgado Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    You should be super proud of your week binge free - that's great progress. You should also be proud that you're seeking help and advice - that's a big deal. Neither are easy to do.

At your next counseling session, talk about your binge eating and how its a concern for you, and you want better coping mechanisms. Binge eating is actually being recognized as an eating disorder too, and your therapist should recognize this. If you're emotionally bingeing, it is unlikely that you will just get over binge eating as you lose weight.

You've gotten some great advice about how you can start now. Talk to your therapist next time about your worries. They are far more qualified to help you than strangers on the interwebz. It seems like your issues with binge eating extend beyond boredom eating.
  • kareeRose
    Options
    I think different people have different ideas as to what "binge eating" actually entails. For me, a binge is eating as much as I possibly can to the point that I feel physically sick, and then continuing to eat a little more, and more. It's far more than "x food sounds really good.. but I shouldn't eat it..." and then having a little more than I should.
    I probably eat upwards of 5000+ calories from one "binge", and that's not including other food throughout the day. That's just an estimate as I've never attempted to track it. I eat anything and everything, junk food and fast food. Entire bags of chips.
    Applying your question to my situation, no, I do not believe that binge eating can not be a part of a health or weightloss journey. Will it still be a struggle? Yes. But I don't feel like trying to plan for over eating is the right way to go about it. For me, knowing I am working to overcome it is a better option than worrying when it will inevitably happen again.
    I have tried the "cheat meal" method in the past, and personally that was a terrible idea and just allowed me to binge without guilt, and caused me to obsess over all the things I was going to eat later in the week, because "cheat day/meal."
    Things that have helped me and have been suggested that I will try to implement in the future when necessary (most of which have been mentioned, but I will say again) -
    Having a higher calorie budget so you don't feel as deprived, fitting in foods that you love (cheesecake and chips for me), finding an activity to help you when you get the urge to binge (take a walk, read, music, sleep), planning ahead to avoid hunger (sometimes my binges are emotional, but feeling "starved" can also be a trigger for me). And for some people, avoiding foods that may be triggers.
    Guess I should have read this post, my apologies. The point I was trying to make is, your saying that making up for going over even 500 calories is awful advice. A binge that can ruin a week of calorie restriction is probably not (in my opinion) 500 calories.

I don't feel that making up for over eating 500 calories is a big deal. It works well for me, it actually stops me from a much larger binge, I don't feel like I'm depriving my self of something that I really want in that moment. It makes me feel good that if I choose to work off those calories over the next week that I can, if I want.

Do you think that this thinking will cause me to develop an eating disorder? If that's the case then I already feel like I have one. That's the reason I'm here in the first place, because I have a hard time controlling what I put in my mouth. You don't get to be obese because you have a healthy relationship with food.
  • not_a_runner
    Options
    Guess I should have read this post, my apologies. The point I was trying to make is, your saying that making up for going over even 500 calories is awful advice. A binge that can ruin a week of calorie restriction is probably not (in my opinion) 500 calories.

I don't feel that making up for over eating 500 calories is a big deal. It works well for me, it actually stops me from a much larger binge, I don't feel like I'm depriving my self of something that I really want in that moment. It makes me feel good that if I choose to work off those calories over the next week that I can, if I want.

Do you think that this thinking will cause me to develop an eating disorder? If that's the case then I already feel like I have one. That's the reason I'm here in the first place, because I have a hard time controlling what I put in my mouth. You don't get to be obese because you have a healthy relationship with food.

Well, I never said "if you go over by 500 calories you can't "make it up.""
    But the whole "make it up" mentality can definitely turn into disordered thinking for some people. I have been there myself, running several miles and doing other workouts daily to burn every last calorie. Looking back at that time in my life scares me. I exercise now because I enjoy it and it's good for my health, not to punish myself.
    If someone were going over their deficit calories by around 500 regularly, I would suggest they increase them. That's a good sign that you aren't eating enough to be satisfied.
  • kareeRose
    Options

Well, I never said "if you go over by 500 calories you can't "make it up.""
    But the whole "make it up" mentality can definitely turn into disordered thinking for some people. I have been there myself, running several miles and doing other workouts daily to burn every last calorie. Looking back at that time in my life scares me. I exercise now because I enjoy it and it's good for my health, not to punish myself.
    If someone were going over their deficit calories by around 500 regularly, I would suggest they increase them. That's a good sign that you aren't eating enough to be satisfied.
    This is the first time in my life that I can say that I exercise because I actually enjoy it. You gave some great advice on binges by the way.
  • mallygirl420
    mallygirl420 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Do what you can sustain for years at a time. For me, two bars a day wouldn't be sustainable bc they are boring and don't taste good! I also don't like repeating meals to the point where I get sick of them. So for instance, I could eat smoothies for breakfast every day this week, but next week it'll probably be Greek yogurt and the next, oatmeal. I rotate lunches and dinners but I make sure I have a wide variety of healthy meals that I can stick to forever.
  • girl_inflames
    girl_inflames Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your thoughts and concerns on my post. Im learning to reward myself when I have a good week. Before id stay away from certain foods I like. Id crave them for a whole week. And once I seen I lost so and so lbs I would binge on the food I was craving all week. Whether it was my favorite cereal, Burger king, Chips, Cake. Id eat it until its gone. Now I know if I logged all my caloriess and have some left that I can have chips or a small slice of cake. So therfore I dont binge. I did great this week and I cant wait to see how I do next week.

This is exactly what you should be doing! Great job! Proportions and moderation. :smile:

• emmylootwo
    emmylootwo Posts: 172 Member
    Options

Ok, but your suggesting that if one has eaten 500 calories that they didn't plan for they SHOULD NOT make up for it if they want. I don't think 500 calories is an all out binge, to me that's an extra meal or a treat. I just think it's more of a guilt thing, I don't think you should feel guilty about it and let it take you off course. I do feel that if you want you should be able to work those calories off if that's what you choose. Now if it's a 3,000 -10,000 all out binge, i understand that we cannot out run our fork, and tomorrow is a new day.

It's absolutely about the guilt. Do you know how long and hard the average person would have to exercise to burn off a 500 calorie binge/treat/whatever? I know when most people think bulimia, they think binge eating and vomiting. The truth is that purging takes many different forms: vomiting, laxatives, diuretics, water fasting, calorie restriction, and EXERCISING. They call that last one exercise bulimia. For some people, it's not a huge deal. They eat a cookie after working out as a reward of sorts. Or like you said, some people will plan for treats by banking calories throughout the week. Marathoners will go out to eat after and get a big juicy burger and fries to celebrate. That is not bingeing. Bingeing is uncontrolled eating. It is not usually planned (although some people with bulimia, myself included, get to the point where binges and purges are planned out). Bingeing is not normal eating. It is not an overindulgence. Bingeing comes with a lot of guilt and shame, and the LAST thing you want a binge eater to do is try to punish themselves or cope with their guilt through any manner of purging!!

And, yes, I wouldn't recommend anybody to try and burn off extra calories even if it wasn't a binge -- even if the OP were to say that it was a one time thing where she ate over her calorie goal for the day. Move on and don't try to make up for it because you think you should. It's that eat/purge or eat/restriction cycle that is so dangerous.