Attacked for an opinion

Options
1235»

Replies

• darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    So...can someone please help me understand....
    So I was in a discussion board where I saw the OP asked for opinions +/- on a certain product. There were approx. 8 posters all being negative. I was the first positive post about the product. The next thing you know I am being attacked for how I felt about something. The OP was asking for opinions...
    For the most part, I really enjoy MFP and all the support most give; the last place I expected to be attacked for expressing my feelings.

I'm not sure I will post my opinion again due to this experience...as it was brutal. I have always been told I am a very kind person and I guess I do not understand why I was being attacked. Anyone have the same experience?

Welcome to MFP. :D
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    Sometimes (ok, a lot of the time), it feels like an attack ... be like a duck (let the water shed off your back).
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    It never feels good to be informed that you are wrong or challenged to provide proof that what you present is the truth... unless you are a scientist. Scientists groove on that sort of "attack". That's because they don't just want to learn new things but they want to grow and develop and maybe even change the world for the better. They even keep doing it while the general public is busy convincing one another that they are evil and trying to destroy us all.

Anyway whether or not you feel good about the opinions presented to you is not as important as how you respond. It is your choice.

You can chose to:
    Accept that perhaps you are wrong but decide to continue in your beliefs.

Accept that you may be wrong and explore the idea further and determine if it requires action in the form of change in yourself. Make an informed and logical choice as to which path to continue on based on the information gathered.

Refuse to entertain any idea that you might be wrong and assume that everyone else is wrong and allow them to be wrong. Realise that this has nothing to do with who you are and where you are heading.

Get but hurt and create a thread complaining because people don't agree with you and are unfairly exercising their civil rights of free speech to say so. And if that doesn't work you can always opus out of the forum because you just know that the forum will be devastated at the loss of your wonderful presence. Probably within weeks it will cease to function and may eventually lead to the demise of the entire internet.... just kidding. ;)

You don't actually get to expect the world to tiptoe around your feelings. I mean you can, but it won't get you anywhere. If you don't feel like your input in a thread is being appreciated. Just stop posting on that topic.

You don't throw away a whole forum just because a few people don't agree with you.

6klzlny9pajc.jpeg
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options

There's nothing even close to an attack (against a person) in there. Those products aren't very popular though!
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options

There's nothing even close to an attack (against a person) in there. Those products aren't very popular though!

I just went and read that thread and agree.

OP if you call that an attack I suggest you stay out of the forums. JMO
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Dear Posters,

I wanted to offer a brief explanation for the locking of this thread.

The forum guidelines include this item:

2. No Hi-Jacking, Trolling, or Flame-baiting

Please stay on-topic within a forum topic. Off-topic or derogatory remarks are disrespectful. Please either contribute politely and constructively to a topic, or move on without posting.This includes posts that encourage the drama in a topic to escalate, or posts intended to incite an uproar from the community.

In many cases we are able to edit out the posts that violate this guideline, but unfortunately this particular thread has become too volatile to moderate efficiently.

If you would like to review the forum guidelines, please visit the following link:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines

At our discretion, this locked thread may be deleted entirely in the near future.

With respect,

psuLemon
This discussion has been closed.