June (2016) Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• PoppetsMaster
    PoppetsMaster Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I am pretty sure I can do it... most of us here can suffer through 8 or 9 hours of pain if we need to... but 50k after a month lay-off will make for a he1l of a day... and it's missing all the training miles that I love more than the race itself. I warned you that I would be whiney. Just be glad you are not poor @Zom_bunny...
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    This blows. Only four weeks to my next race... and it looks like I will have minimal mileage between now and then. This knee has thrown me for a loop and I am not dealing with it very well. I am pi$$y and moody.

If it blows, suck it up.

On a serious note, as the others said, it probably is wise to do as least as possible on it. Think about getting a wrap for the knee.

• Ohhim
    Ohhim Posts: 1,142 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Spent the past 2 days mostly in bed, as something I ate during my double-header all-you-can-eat seat adventures at Tuesday's Mets-Pirates game destroyed my stomach. Still, I decided to give a run a shot this afternoon with some friends, and made it through 12 miles on an emptied stomach (as I wasn't keeping anything down). Pretty dead at the end, but glad I went as the weather was close to perfect, and I'll be returning to the hot Florida weather on Monday. On the plus side, I probably needed a rest day yesterday, and I think nearly everything has been flushed out of my system at this point.

6/1 - 4 miles
    6/2 - 8 miles
    6/3 - 13.5 miles
    6/5 - 13.5 miles
    6/6 - 9 miles
    6/7 - 10 miles
    6/9 - 12 miles

Total: 70 miles
    Goal: 200 miles
    Remaining: 130 miles

2016 Race Schedule:
    Disney Marathon - Jan 6 - 3:29:09
    Gasparilla 15K - Feb 20 - 1:01:59
    Ironman 70.3 Florida - Apr 10 - 5:07:51
    Pittsburgh Marathon - May 1 - 3:08:25

Ironman 70.3 Augusta - Sep 25
    Chicago Marathon - Oct 9
    Ironman Florida - Nov 5

@skippygirslmom - Re Kazak gender relations - one of my running partner's wife was offered a nice job over there (he's pretty mobile, and she's originally Russian), but they weren't seriously considering it as apparently the portrayal of women in the country isn't too far off from what was presented in Borat... apparently also a revolution is imminent there once their 30 year president/dictator passes away.
  • PoppetsMaster
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    You're an ultra trail runner. You're supposed to look like a homeless rat.

:)
  • PoppetsMaster
    edited June 2016
    Options
    @Ohhim... you got tix for the Pens tonight?
    My normal connection for tickets went to jail last week and left me hanging...lol
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    @Ohhim maybe its the way they played that made you sick?

Get well!
  • moxiept
    moxiept Posts: 200 Member
    Options

exercise.png

This is from starting since June 3rd.
  • Ohhim
    Options
    @Ohhim... you got tix for the Pens tonight?

Lightning fan/partial season ticket holder, so I stopped caring about hockey a week and a half ago. Just went to games 2 and 7 of the eastern conference finals since I was in town.
  • Ohhim
    Options
    Goal 120 km

4 - 6 km
    6 - 21.4 km
    9 - 30.1 km cycling

Total 27.4 km running

So, I'm thinking more and more, I'm going to shift my training towards triathlon prep. Either a Marathon plan with a lot of cross training or a tri-plan. Today's ride was just too much fun.

For my last 70.3 (which was 3 weeks before my last marathon), I roughly followed the garmin olympic II HR plan alongside their marathon III HR plan, and it worked out pretty well. I just ignored most of the run workouts aside from the bricks as my marathon plan was getting me enough mileage.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Goal 120 km

4 - 6 km
    6 - 21.4 km
    9 - 30.1 km cycling

Total 27.4 km running

So, I'm thinking more and more, I'm going to shift my training towards triathlon prep. Either a Marathon plan with a lot of cross training or a tri-plan. Today's ride was just too much fun.

*Singing* Gel-ous! I've been watching too much RuPaul Drag Race.... girl :wink: :blush: TV bonding my my DD
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    Ohhim wrote: »

@skippygirslmom - Re Kazak gender relations - one of my running partner's wife was offered a nice job over there (he's pretty mobile, and she's originally Russian), but they weren't seriously considering it as apparently the portrayal of women in the country isn't too far off from what was presented in Borat... apparently also a revolution is imminent there once their 30 year president/dictator passes away.

@ohhim I'm sorry you haven't been feeling well. Skip was born in Russia but her bio mom is Kazakh.
  • tacosticks
    tacosticks Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    tacosticks wrote: »
    Got some new shoes today! Now I can put max effort into this challenge!!! YEAH!!!

I started jogging from work to home to better log overall distance, and gets in some running every day. I think it's overall healthier? I don't know, lol.
    06/01: 0/40km
    06/02: 0/40km
    06/03: 1.5/40km
    06/04: 3/40km

Haha, this is way more difficult than I thought it was!

exercise.png
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,407 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Took the last couple of days off from running as my lower back has been bothering me. My trainer thinks it is related to my hips being so tight. Or maybe my hips are so tight because of my back - that seems more likely to me, but stretching and rolling my hips out is helping my back so who knows!
    I did run today, albeit very slowly and walked when I had to when a spasm would hit. Hobbes the Vizsla was very worried and kept looking at me and staying very close, even leaning on me when I stopped to stretch. The first couple of miles were tough, I just felt tight all over. Somewhere in mile 3 I started feeling pretty good but by the time I was almost home, mile 5+, I was stiff all over again. I have to get it resolved though before next Friday when we leave to drive to Seattle. Two days of driving for ~9 hours each will be excruciating if it isn't better.

I also wanted to run my ShePower virtual HM this weekend but if my back is not feeling 100% I may end up running it in Seattle or later in Oregon. I don't want to make it worse by overdoing it.

Hobbes and I are trying out a new class tonight called Rally Obedience. It should be interesting as it is like a slow version of agility combined with obedience. I observed the class last week - everyone is very quiet including their dogs. I guess they need Hobbes and me to come shake it up a bit :tongue:

I am still reading through and trying to catch up after missing this group for more than a week. There is too much to go back and comment on but I am reading it all so I know what I missed :)

Date..........Miles.........Total
    06/01.......0.00..........0.00
    06/02.......4.67..........4.67 + Strength Training
    06/03.......4.69..........9.36
    06/04.......6.50........15.86
    06/05.......3.00........18.86
    06/06.......6.25........25.11 + Agility
    06/07.......0.00........25.11 + Strength Training
    06/08.......0.00........25.11
    06/09.......5.28........30.39 + Rally

exercise.png

Upcoming Races - Let me know if you will be running too!
    06/25/16 - SHEPower Virtual Half Marathon
    07/31/16 - San Francisco 2nd Half Marathon
    09/18/16 - Beat the Blerch Half Marathon, Seattle
    11/19/16 - USA Invitational Half Marathon (Yay, I qualified again!)
    xx/xx/xx - Nike Women's Half Marathon, Los Angeles
    12/18/16 - San Diego Holiday Half Marathon

I was so disappointed to get the email yesterday that Nike is not going to run the Women's HM in Los Angeles this year. I guess I may need to find another race in October, or not.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @shanaber I know everyone is different. My hips being out cause back pain. Good luck, hope you figure it out.
  • PoppetsMaster
    Options

Lightning fan/partial season ticket holder, so I stopped caring about hockey a week and a half ago. Just went to games 2 and 7 of the eastern conference finals since I was in town.

A pox upon thee... don't call yourself a Pittsburgher...lol... but seriously... you suck...
  • Ohhim
    edited June 2016
    Options

A pox upon thee... don't call yourself a Pittsburgher...lol... but seriously... you suck...

Retired snowbird (Pittsburgh/Clearwater Beach), so Pirates full season tickets in the summer (make it out to about 70 games), and partial Lightning ones in the winter (as I host too many friends on the beach in the winter to make it out to 40 games, but make it out to 10-15).

One of my other running partners here works in the jail part time, but I'm not sure relaying messages for tickets would go over well.