Replies

• kareeRose
    kareeRose Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    emmylootwo wrote: »
    kareeRose wrote: »
    Remember you need a 3500 calorie deficit in one week in order to lose a pound a week. If you binge eat just make up for it with exercise and a deficit.

^^^ AWFUL ADVICE. Please, for the love of god, do not try to make up for any binge whether it's 500 calories or 10,000 calories with exercise, fasting, diuretics or laxatives, or any other form of purging (including vomiting, of course). Work on finding the emotional triggers to your binges. Eat nutritious and filling foods to help keep bingeing in check and try working at a lower deficit (.5-1lb a week). You don't have much to lose anyway. See a therapist and/or nutritionist. And when you binge (I still do occasionally 2 years since seeking recovery for my bulimia; bingeing does not disappear over night), forgive yourself and move on. I cannot stress this enough: DO NOT EXERCISE TO MAKE UP FOR A BINGE. Take it from me, it is a super slippery slope down from there.
    Some people on here swear by "cheat days" they just subtract a little from each day to be able to indulge when they want. Are you saying that if you don't plan for it ahead and take away calories from following days then that makes it a bad thing?
    A "cheat day/meal" isn't the same thing as binge eating. People who make cheats work for them usually cap it at a single untracked meal, or have a day that is a little more flexible than usual or with higher calories. They don't go on an all out binge.
    Binge eating is something that is very hard to gain control over, and you can easily blow an entire week's deficit in one episode, even if you were taking a little more from each day, and further restricting calories can be a binge trigger for many people.
    Personally, I don't feel that binge eating is something we should try to plan for. That's setting yourself up for failure before you even get started.
    Subtracting a little to fit in a treat is not binge eating.

Ok, but your suggesting that if one has eaten 500 calories that they didn't plan for they SHOULD NOT make up for it if they want. I don't think 500 calories is an all out binge, to me that's an extra meal or a treat. I just think it's more of a guilt thing, I don't think you should feel guilty about it and let it take you off course. I do feel that if you want you should be able to work those calories off if that's what you choose. Now if it's a 3,000 -10,000 all out binge, i understand that we cannot out run our fork, and tomorrow is a new day.

It's absolutely about the guilt. Do you know how long and hard the average person would have to exercise to burn off a 500 calorie binge/treat/whatever? I know when most people think bulimia, they think binge eating and vomiting. The truth is that purging takes many different forms: vomiting, laxatives, diuretics, water fasting, calorie restriction, and EXERCISING. They call that last one exercise bulimia. For some people, it's not a huge deal. They eat a cookie after working out as a reward of sorts. Or like you said, some people will plan for treats by banking calories throughout the week. Marathoners will go out to eat after and get a big juicy burger and fries to celebrate. That is not bingeing. Bingeing is uncontrolled eating. It is not usually planned (although some people with bulimia, myself included, get to the point where binges and purges are planned out). Bingeing is not normal eating. It is not an overindulgence. Bingeing comes with a lot of guilt and shame, and the LAST thing you want a binge eater to do is try to punish themselves or cope with their guilt through any manner of purging!!

And, yes, I wouldn't recommend anybody to try and burn off extra calories even if it wasn't a binge -- even if the OP were to say that it was a one time thing where she ate over her calorie goal for the day. Move on and don't try to make up for it because you think you should. It's that eat/purge or eat/restriction cycle that is so dangerous.
    Ok, got it. People should not burn off any extra calories they consume, thanks.
  • emmylootwo
    emmylootwo Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Remember you need a 3500 calorie deficit in one week in order to lose a pound a week. If you binge eat just make up for it with exercise and a deficit.

^^^ AWFUL ADVICE. Please, for the love of god, do not try to make up for any binge whether it's 500 calories or 10,000 calories with exercise, fasting, diuretics or laxatives, or any other form of purging (including vomiting, of course). Work on finding the emotional triggers to your binges. Eat nutritious and filling foods to help keep bingeing in check and try working at a lower deficit (.5-1lb a week). You don't have much to lose anyway. See a therapist and/or nutritionist. And when you binge (I still do occasionally 2 years since seeking recovery for my bulimia; bingeing does not disappear over night), forgive yourself and move on. I cannot stress this enough: DO NOT EXERCISE TO MAKE UP FOR A BINGE. Take it from me, it is a super slippery slope down from there.
    Some people on here swear by "cheat days" they just subtract a little from each day to be able to indulge when they want. Are you saying that if you don't plan for it ahead and take away calories from following days then that makes it a bad thing?
    A "cheat day/meal" isn't the same thing as binge eating. People who make cheats work for them usually cap it at a single untracked meal, or have a day that is a little more flexible than usual or with higher calories. They don't go on an all out binge.
    Binge eating is something that is very hard to gain control over, and you can easily blow an entire week's deficit in one episode, even if you were taking a little more from each day, and further restricting calories can be a binge trigger for many people.
    Personally, I don't feel that binge eating is something we should try to plan for. That's setting yourself up for failure before you even get started.

Ok, but your suggesting that if one has eaten 500 calories that they didn't plan for they SHOULD NOT make up for it if they want. I don't think 500 calories is an all out binge, to me that's an extra meal or a treat. I just think it's more of a guilt thing, I don't think you should feel guilty about it and let it take you off course. I do feel that if you want you should be able to work those calories off if that's what you choose. Now if it's a 3,000 -10,000 all out binge, i understand that we cannot out run our fork, and tomorrow is a new day.

It's absolutely about the guilt. Do you know how long and hard the average person would have to exercise to burn off a 500 calorie binge/treat/whatever? I know when most people think bulimia, they think binge eating and vomiting. The truth is that purging takes many different forms: vomiting, laxatives, diuretics, water fasting, calorie restriction, and EXERCISING. They call that last one exercise bulimia. For some people, it's not a huge deal. They eat a cookie after working out as a reward of sorts. Or like you said, some people will plan for treats by banking calories throughout the week. Marathoners will go out to eat after and get a big juicy burger and fries to celebrate. That is not bingeing. Bingeing is uncontrolled eating. It is not usually planned (although some people with bulimia, myself included, get to the point where binges and purges are planned out). Bingeing is not normal eating. It is not an overindulgence. Bingeing comes with a lot of guilt and shame, and the LAST thing you want a binge eater to do is try to punish themselves or cope with their guilt through any manner of purging!!

And, yes, I wouldn't recommend anybody to try and burn off extra calories even if it wasn't a binge -- even if the OP were to say that it was a one time thing where she ate over her calorie goal for the day. Move on and don't try to make up for it because you think you should. It's that eat/purge or eat/restriction cycle that is so dangerous.

You don't have to be so snarky about it. Eat all you want and exercise all you want. If you don't like my advice, don't take it. Simple as that.
  • kareeRose
    Options

You don't have to be so snarky about it. Eat all you want and exercise all you want. If you don't like my advice, don't take it. Simple as that.

How am I being snarky? I just repeated what you said. I said I got it and I said thanks. I've never had bulimia. Excuse me for not wanting to push my opinion on a subject that I haven't ever delt with.
  • kareeRose
    Options

"People" should aim to burn off extra calories but binge eaters shouldn't obsess over it is the better way to say it.. Normal people can "binge" (eat too much cake or pizza) then just move on, a binge eater obsessively thinks about how awful they are to have just consumed an entire pizza. It's hard to explain but I tried

It is hard to explain. I think I have a hard time understanding why it's ok to eat back exercise calories. But it's not ok to exercise because you've over eaten. To me it's the same thing just in a different order. In my opinion the only difference is the guilt involved and that people should not exercise because they feel guilty for over eating, and that restricting too many calories can lead to a binge eat binge cycle. So don't over do it.

Never being aloud to exercise if you've over eaten doesn't sound right to me plenty of people post that they have burned off 500+ calories in a single work out and they get to eat 500+ calories as soon as they want. Is it because they have displayed self control and a person who slips and eats 500 unplanned calories cannot?

I am not trying to be snarky, I do not want some one who has bulimia to read this and think that it's ok to binge and exercise purge. I just don't understand why it's a rule that you cannot overeat and exercise afterwards if you choose. If you are not doing it out of guilt, you don't hate food, you just want to stay at your deficit for the week.

• pvju
    pvju Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    pvju wrote: »
    My advice:

1. Figure out which foods trigger a binge (for me it's certain carbs - cheese/caramel popcorn, chocolates, cheetos)

I'm sorry to nitpick, but these "carbs" are all full of fat. Carbs don't contain fat. It's most likely the fat and salt content in these that triggers a binge, not the carbs.

True, and excepting the cheetos, they're also sugar-y caramel popcorn and chocolates - for me a little sugar and I just can't stop - mix some fat in there and it's on and cracking!