Do you weigh more than you look

Options
I weigh 166 pounds or 75kg (I'm 5"7.5). I get told that I look like I weigh a lot less. People usually guess around 140 pounds. They're like no way when I tell them how much I weigh. I'm also a dress size UK 12 (US 8) and I can fit into some size 10's (or US 6's). How can you weigh so much but look slim? My BMI says I'm a couple of pounds overweight. I want to loose a bit more weight. I though 60kg would be a good weight, but at my lowest I was 140 pounds and people said I was skinny.

I weigh a lot for a girl as it is! I weigh nearly as much as some guys! I run a lot but I don't think I have much muscle. I was took a body fat % test with a fitness instructor; it put me as 29% which is in the normal range for a woman.

Replies

• Mrsmonas
    Mrsmonas Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I feel like I look bigger than I actually am :( I'm 155 5'7 but feel like I look more 190. I have a terrible body image though
  • jnz17
    jnz17 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I also weigh way more than I look. I'm 5'4'' and I gained 30 lbs since last summer but even my own family always says I look the same as before. I went all the way from normal to the upper end of overweight, but I'll admit I basically look the same in most pictures.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I don't know. I've never asked people to guess my weight and no one has ever asked me how much I weigh.

I'm an apple shape. I look more pregnant the more overweight I am. I have had someone ask when I was due. I don't think they were guessing my weight as less than it was. If my fat was more evenly distributed I suppose I wouldn't look as obviously overweight. I'm aiming for a healthy weight and reducing my waist size.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Most people I see these days are overweight. People are often surprised by my weight because they are not as used to seeing people of healthy weight. I'm 148 lbs, so a healthy weight but in the upper zone of healthy weight for my height.
  • fitnessqueen91
    fitnessqueen91 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Since people are mentioning body shapes; I'm an hourglass and my weight is evenly distributed however if I gain weight it mainly tends to go to my hips and boobs.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    I don't know. I've never asked people to guess my weight and no one has ever asked me how much I weigh.

I'm an apple shape. I look more pregnant the more overweight I am. I have had someone ask when I was due. I don't think they were guessing my weight as less than it was. If my fat was more evenly distributed I suppose I wouldn't look as obviously overweight. I'm aiming for a healthy weight and reducing my waist size.

I have the same body type. There are so many cute tops I admire but don't buy because I know I'd end up being asked the same thing if I wore them.
  • ElphabaWeasley
    ElphabaWeasley Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I also think I look less than what I weigh. I mean don't get me wrong, I still look big, but not as big as I would think 5' 190 pounds would look. That was me at my heaviest. Now, I am down to 179, and to be honest, I don't feel like I look different, and my clothes don't fit looser or anything either (granted, I was probably very close to needing to go out and buy bigger clothes before I started losing weight). I think it depends on a lot of things and I definitely agree with other people saying that the people you ask may be underestimating, either consciously or unconsciously.
  • shortvixen09
    shortvixen09 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Yes. Maybe because I'm more on the curvy side. Either people forget that curves weight too or they're being nice. However I do have a lot of muscle.
  • JCsJourney
    JCsJourney Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Im 6'2 265. People say i look like im in my 230s and are shocked when i tell em im 265
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    Yeah people just say that. They don't know what any specific weight actually looks like. My brother is always guessing my weight is about 120 pounds when in reality at the time I was closer to 145.
  • RosieRose7673
    RosieRose7673 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    If I guess someone's weight - and I have no idea why I would - I am definitely not saying what I ACTUALLY think they weigh! Better to "guess" low than to have them pissed when you're right or higher than their weight. You're just asking for trouble to tell the truth with that!

I'm gonna second this. People are sensitive about their weight. I never comment on people's weights or guess what they weigh unless they really ask. Even then, I'd likely shoot low just not to offend someone.
  • atiral
    atiral Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I think my body shape makes me look smaller. I am a rectangle.
  • fitnessqueen91
    fitnessqueen91 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I never ask people to guess my weight; if it randomly comes up and people are talking about weight I'll say. Guessing weight is quite hard actually. Celebrity magazines always guess celebrities weights and they'll be ones that are overweight and they'll guess their weight to be 150 pounds or less but I look thinner than them but weigh more.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    No one believes me when I tell them I'm 150 pounds and size 11 (U.S.) in jeans. I'm 5'9".
  • Guns_N_Buns
    Guns_N_Buns Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    Maybe because you don't voluntarily discuss the topic of weight with people that would be like "damn, I thought you weighed WAYYYY MORE".
  • SkinnyFatBGone
    SkinnyFatBGone Posts: 59 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    No one believes me when I tell them I'm 150 pounds and size 11 (U.S.) in jeans. I'm 5'9".

Almost the same. I'm 153 pounds and size 9 (U.S) in jeans. I'm 5'9 or 5'10.

You look great though. My stomach is no where near as flat as yours. I wonder why I wear a smaller size jean than you. You definitely look thinner than me, based on your picture.