Aldi's?

Options

Replies

• tryett
    tryett Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Tonight I picked up strawberries, minced garlic and sliced mozzarella ( for the Chicken Caprese tomorrow night), chocolate bars for my sons, while cashews, salad mix, bottled water Asiago cheese. They didn't have any macadamia nuts, so I will have to go to Trader Joe's or Whole Foods tomorrow.
  • Enjcg5
    Enjcg5 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    I'm a fairly minimalist shopper, but I go to Aldi for a lot of my basics.

Baby carrots
    Mushrooms
    Avocado
    Cauliflower
    Fresh green beans
    Brussels sprouts
    Berries
    Kiwi
    Protein snack bars
    Eggs
    Coffee creamer
    String cheese
    Greek yogurt
    Sandwich slims
    Canned beans
    Canned tomatoes
    And whatever else looks good for the week

Thanks so much! Would you say their Greek yogurt is as good/ healthy as Fage which is my favorite? It's just so darn expensive so I am trying to find a cheaper version of Fage...

I didn't realize there would be a quiz at the end. I should have studied harder! To answer you, though, Fage isn't my preferred brand of Greek yogurt, so I'm the wrong person to ask how they compare.

Lol! No quiz just wondering :smile:

Not even close to Fage.....(IMO) nothing I've ever tried is. BUT, my main focus is getting protein. I'll only buy Fage when it's on sale.

Today at Aldi strawberries were 99 cents. I bought several packages (cut them up) and put them in the freezer.

Bagged lettuce is cheap. I like to buy the "Italian" blend ....mostly romaine. They have Spring Mix too.

Their light popcorn isn't very good. I like more salt.

This! I buy the plain non fat greek yogurt for the protein and it's a few bucks cheaper than the name brands. I used it in smoothies so taste/ texture nit a big deal since it blends nicely.
  • rosecropper
    rosecropper Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Aldi is my favorite place to get overly processed foods masquerading as healthy options and strangely flavored snack foods :smiley:
    But they also have very good prices on organic produce although selection is small
    Some of our favorite purchases:
    Pumpkin tortilla chips
    Any of the better quality cheeses
    Hummus- pineapple jalapeño flavor actually very good
    Natural jarred pasta sauce- no added sugars
    Veggie pizzas and frozen veggie patties
    Low cal vinaigrette dressings
    Carrot cake mix is vastly superior to any other
    Unsweetened applesauce
    Frozen crinkle cut fries- low cal if baked in oven
    Naturally flavored seltzer (no sweetners)
    Fat free half&half
    35 cal wheat bread
    Sprouted wheat bread (only 60 cal per slice)
    Clearance products- amazing deals!
    When I can't make it to Costco for a big vat of fage, the plain Greek yogurt at aldi is what I like to get. Not the same as Fage, but a reasonably priced substitute.
  • Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I love Aldi's! Some of my regular buys:
    - Organic strawberries
    - Organic avacados
    - Organic carrots
    - Organic bell peppers (so much cheaper than anywhere else!)
    - Bananas
    - Watermelon
    - Cantaloupe
    - Spinach
    - Mixed greens
    - Organic cucumber
    - Coconut water (the one that's refridgerated in the small bottle)
    - Organic humus
    - Coffee
    - Green pea puff-things (forgot what they're called exactly. They're like cheese puffs, only without the cheese and made with peas instead of corn)
    - Gluten free chicken nuggets
    - Sea Queen wild-caught salmon (I wish that it had the skin, but for the price, I won't complain!)
    - Organic, 100% grass-fed ground beef
    - Quinoa chips (they taste just like the Simply 7 chips that I love!)
    - Sweet potato chips
    - Freeze dried peaches
    - Nuts
    - Frozen peas / other assorted vegetables and fruit
    - Organic almond milk
    - Gluten free crackers
    - Gluten free baking mix
    - Cheese (for the family)
    - Milk (for the family)
    - Uncured ham
    - Brown rice pasta
    - Organic broth

I do most of our shopping at Aldi's now. I usually stop by Food Lion or Wal-Mart or something afterwards to get a few of the things that I wanted that Aldi's didn't have (cherries, plantains, other organic meats, ect.). Really, the only things that I've tried from Aldi's and not liked were the canned sardines (too many bones and too dry). Some of their products have pretty awful ingridients lists (I wouldn't eat their gluten-free breads or wraps if you paid me to, and a few of their ice creams still have HFCS), but, I love their store overall.
  • leahkathleen13
    leahkathleen13 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I need to get back to Aldi's! This all looks delicious.
  • Losewtforlife4him
    Losewtforlife4him Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Wow everyone! Thanks so much for these great ideas!! Can't wait to go back and try some of these things.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I went once and probably won't go again, lol. Produce wasn't cheaper and was average quality, selection was poor, and everything else looked like cheap knock-offs!

I admit I'm puzzled by all the Aldi's love.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    CooCooPuff wrote: »
    I don't get many opportunities to go to Aldis, none really near me, but I like their black bean salsa and their pay for plastic bags policy.

I'm not familiar with their plastic bag policy... someone fill me in. Only been there one time but plan to go today after my Workout. It's only a few blocks from that Y.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I don't get many opportunities to go to Aldis, none really near me, but I like their black bean salsa and their pay for plastic bags policy.

I'm not familiar with their plastic bag policy... someone fill me in. Only been there one time but plan to go today after my Workout. It's only a few blocks from that Y.

Mine doesn't even have bags, and I forgot mine in the car, so I ended up carrying my stuff in my arms. Awkward.
  • alyssa0061
    alyssa0061 Posts: 652 Member
    Options

The bags are under the conveyor belt at the register. Plastic bags are 10¢ each and paper bags are 7¢ each, I believe. The plastic bags are large and thick so you can cram them full with no problem. You can also use any empty boxes for free or bring your own bags.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    Aldi is my go-to store for 90% of my groceries.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,398 Member
    Options
    In the UK: lots of stuff. But food mainly
    fruit and veggies
    Gouda cheese
    Chicken breast
    Wholegrain bread
    chiabatta and other prebaked bread
    Perfect puds chocolate
    they have extra creamy full fat yoghurts that are surprisingly low in calorie. I love strawberry, rhubarb and raspberry most
    chocolate caramel waffle bars
    milk
    green yoghurt for cooking
    curry sauces
    the occasional stuffed chicken (food for two days for two, and rests in a pasta oven dish for another two days)
    the occasional pulled pork
    the occasional ribs
    I love their vegetarian pizza
    lots of other things really
  • PearBlossom9
    PearBlossom9 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I like therir bacon and happens to be cheaper than my grocery store most of the time. I get their flat breads, they are identical to Flat Out but cheaper. I've also been pleasantly surprised that their meat is good quality. I bought steak (ribeye) recently and it was fantastic. $9.69 a pound which is pretty awesome. Chicken has been good too. And 100 calorie packs of almonds/walnuts to keep in my desk a work for when I'm feeling snackish.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    alyssa0061 wrote: »

The bags are under the conveyor belt at the register. Plastic bags are 10¢ each and paper bags are 7¢ each, I believe. The plastic bags are large and thick so you can cram them full with no problem. You can also use any empty boxes for free or bring your own bags.

Cool, good to know! I guess I have seen those bags around town with ppl reusing them for other things. I guess I'd just forgotten about them. Yea they definitely are nice sized and the price is really decent.

• newheavensearth
    newheavensearth Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    I like their individually frozen chicken legs and frozen marinated chicken breasts. Also their frozen fish, frozen vegetable medleys, and cous cous and quinoa mixes. They come either frozen or boxed. You can also find wrap breads, sandwich thins, and mini bagels.

Aldis is pretty much competitive with regular grocery stores, but a lot cheaper.
  • tryett
    tryett Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Mine also sells reusable bags.
  • CateWright1
    CateWright1 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I do a lot of our grocery shopping at Aldi- it's SO inexpensive and they always have amazing deals on seasonal produce (pints of blueberries for $1.19 this week at mine!!). I am also really obsessed with their pumpkin seed crackers and tortilla chips.
  • SugarySweetheart
    SugarySweetheart Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I don't like Aldi's produce. Unfortunately their produce perishes very quickly (1-3 days).

I do love their Fit & Active Wheat Pasta, Multigrain wrap, Friendly Farms Fat Free Milk, Yogurt (assorted flavors), Vanilla Unsweetened Almond Milk, Marinara Sauce, Fudge Pops, Light String Cheese.