Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Non-GMO foods aren't any safer or healthier

Options

Replies

• Caroline393
    Caroline393 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    @gogoyubarino Right, much of the issue is a distribution problem. And a lot of the waste stems from the result of heavy regulations on when food must be sold by. Grocery stores have to throw out tons of perfectly edible food all the time because of that. I think somewhere in Europe they've either relaxed regulations or passed new legislation saying stores must donate unsold, unspoiled food to food banks or something like that, which I think is a good step to take.

However, the world's population is expected to reach 9.5 billion people by 2050 (according to the UN), and that means somehow we're going to have pretty much double food output while using about the same amount of land that we do now. How are we going to do that? Well, Monsanto is developing drought-resistant strains of corn and wheat, which make up the large portion of people's diets around the world and account for half the calories they consume. They are donating these genetic markers and breeding resources to several drought-prone African countries who sometimes suffer from total crop failures due to drought.

GM crops and other biotech advances will undoubtedly play a huge part in being able to increase global food output. And if that technology can be shared with the people who need it the most, then that will help alleviate the distribution problem as well.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    ... it's "organic" or not genetically modified.

You do appreciate that organic <> not genetrically modified, they are different things.

Whilst I acknowledge that artificially modified foods are as safe to consume as breeding modified foods, I do have some open questions about the wider impact on the environment and the business practices exhibited by suppliers. That said I'd note a significant difference between the agriculture industries in the UK and the US, both requiring significant state aid, but somewhat less monoculture in the UK.

• joeneely71
    joeneely71 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    And this is funny (copied from a post above): you know what I am really tired of? This whole 'wash your hands to prevent disease' trend.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    This may be an unpopular opinion, but I'm tired of hearing about how a food is so much healthier because it's "organic" or not genetically modified. And when I search for healthy recipes, all this stuff comes up about "GMO-free!" GMOs are safe, people!

What is the long term proof that they are safe? I am guessing many or most are close enough to what we would eat in nature to not mess with our health, but all of it? I tend to avoid GMOs if I have a choice. Same goes for organic.

I have a good friend who was suffering with an autoimmune disease that basically paralyzed part of her face. She is an ICU nurse who had to stop working for a while because her eye slumped closed and she couldn't see to work. She took steroids to help with it for years. She was a big believer in medicine to fix things but it couldn't fix her. She eventually stopped the steroids and revamped her food and environment. She switched to only whole, organic, non-GMO foods which eventually put her disease into remission for the last 14 years. For her, GMO and non-organic were affecting her health in an obvious way. For others it may be less obvious or not at all, but I can't agree with a blanket statement that (all) GMO and not organic foods are safe (for all).
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    I prefer eating GMOs, even ones grown with the use of Roundup, to eating organic crops grown with copious amounts of the "natural" pesticides that are permitted in certified organic farming.
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    Also true. Humans have been genetically modifying our food and animals since we quit becoming hunter-gatherers. Just look at corn, watermelon, and peaches as they are now and what they looked like wild and before domestication. The only difference now is that we can do what took hundreds of years now in a single generation. http://www.businessinsider.com/what-foods-looked-like-before-genetic-modification-2016-1

Yes. We picked AGRICULTURE! How could we pick AGRICULTURE?! We now have even LESS time for scoodlypooping!

LOL Great video!
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    This may be an unpopular opinion, but I'm tired of hearing about how a food is so much healthier because it's "organic" or not genetically modified. And when I search for healthy recipes, all this stuff comes up about "GMO-free!" GMOs are safe, people!

What is the long term proof that they are safe? I am guessing many or most are close enough to what we would eat in nature to not mess with our health, but all of it? I tend to avoid GMOs if I have a choice. Same goes for organic.

I have a good friend who was suffering with an autoimmune disease that basically paralyzed part of her face. She is an ICU nurse who had to stop working for a while because her eye slumped closed and she couldn't see to work. She took steroids to help with it for years. She was a big believer in medicine to fix things but it couldn't fix her. She eventually stopped the steroids and revamped her food and environment. She switched to only whole, organic, non-GMO foods which eventually put her disease into remission for the last 14 years. For her, GMO and non-organic were affecting her health in an obvious way. For others it may be less obvious or not at all, but I can't agree with a blanket statement that (all) GMO and not organic foods are safe (for all).

With all respect to your friend's health issues, I really doubt GMOs were a contributing factor if she's been in remission for 14 years. They weren't all that common yet during the time of her illness, and she would have primarily consumed them as corn or soy additives in processed foods. The switch to whole foods (and therefore a nutrient-dense diet) probably had the greatest impact on her health.

Which GMOs do you have concerns about? There aren't that many varieties available that are approved for sale and consumption, and the ones that are have been extensively examined. I'd really like to understand some of the fear that they're unsafe beyond "We just don't know." Is 20 years not a long enough assessment period? Are the newer ones of more concern because we've had less time to see what will happen?

Yet as you said, corn and soy are in many processed products. I do agree that whole orgainc foods probably made the greatest impact.

My concerns are mainly because we just don't know. I don't want to experiment on myself and my family.
  • chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    Options

With all respect to your friend's health issues, I really doubt GMOs were a contributing factor if she's been in remission for 14 years. They weren't all that common yet during the time of her illness, and she would have primarily consumed them as corn or soy additives in processed foods. The switch to whole foods (and therefore a nutrient-dense diet) probably had the greatest impact on her health.

Which GMOs do you have concerns about? There aren't that many varieties available that are approved for sale and consumption, and the ones that are have been extensively examined. I'd really like to understand some of the fear that they're unsafe beyond "We just don't know." Is 20 years not a long enough assessment period? Are the newer ones of more concern because we've had less time to see what will happen?

Yet as you said, corn and soy are in many processed products. I do agree that whole orgainc foods probably made the greatest impact.

My concerns are mainly because we just don't know. I don't want to experiment on myself and my family.

I don't think it's fair or reasonable to blame GMOs when we DO know a nutrient-poor diet can cause health issues but DON'T have any good evidence that GMOs cause problems.

Do you (not just you, but everyone who's anti-GMO) feel safer eating crops that have been mutated through radiation? Organic fruit and veggies that don't disclose the quantity of pesticides they use? I'm genuinely curious, GMO seems like a very selective fear to me when there's all sorts of other issues with farming that need to be tackled.