What to do during dinner at friends/family's house--is it rude to bring my food scale?

Options

Replies

• bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    That's just taking it too far, it's time to start to learn about portion size. I use my scale all of the time at home, and that has helped me guestimate what I'm eating when I'm going out, or at somebody elses house.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    It depends on the people and how you handle it if it is rude.
    You know what your friends and family are like. Are your family or friends very sensetive or hostile people about weight loss or food? Do they know it is not a judgment of them if you ask for their recipe or measure out your own portions?
    I'd just estimate personally if it was an occasional meal but if you are eating there pretty often I'd talk to the host about it in advance and quickly use the scale in the kitchen not at the table. Practice measuring foods at home and learn what portions of food look like. Don't make a big deal about it.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    It's one meal. Not worth having people think I have an eating disorder over that...
  • CurlyCockney
    CurlyCockney Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't do it, I'd just choose appropriate portions and make a best guess. If I was the host I'd take other people's dietary requirements into consideration (e.g allergies, diet-related health issues or veganism/vegetarianism), and provide a lower calorie option if I knew someone was on a diet (e.g sauces on the side), but if they want to double-check everything I've cooked I'd rescind the invitation.
  • julesloveland
    julesloveland Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    daniip_la wrote: »
    I don't get all the people saying it would be rude, when most of us use one ourselves. You know your family/friends better than we do, are they the type of people that would consider it rude?

I, for one, wouldn't mind in the least if a friend (or even just an acquaintance) needed to weigh their food before eating. I don't think of it as any different than someone needing specially prepared food for an allergy or a medical condition.

Exactly! If you're worried about causing offence - let them know in advance and explain your reasons.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    If a guest in my home whipped out a food scale and started weighing the food I had spent hours preparing, you can bet your bottom dollar they would never be invited back.

All of this.
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    I don't think it has to do with being rude, I think it has to do with being "that person" it's like trying to shove your weight loss in peoples face. Just go and enjoy yourself, and if you feel you went overboard readjust the rest of your days.
  • Shells918
    Shells918 Posts: 1,070 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I wouldn't bring a scale out of my house, but maybe this guide will help.
    a8i31rqlr39o.jpeg

Not necessarily as much as you want on veggies but the deck of cards for meat can be helpful.
  • gonetothedogs19
    gonetothedogs19 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    kazminchu wrote: »
    As somebody who is used to using a food scale, if I was a host I would not have a problem with anybody bringing theirs and using it. However, you have to acknowledge that a lot of people don't use one habitually...

A lot of people don't use one habitually? How about 95% of people have never used one and/or never seen one?

• elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    As some one with severe food allergies I would not be upset or offended if someone needed to bring a food scale/special plates/special food etc with them. I always have to bring my own food, even when family tries to accommodate me, I can't take any chances.

You are there to socialize. If they make a huge deal over you bringing a tool that you use to benefit your health (lose weight), I'd say they are being the rude ones.

Maybe politely ask the host of it would be that weird?
  • Owlie45
    Owlie45 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    I dont get it. In a site that tells everyone they should use a food scale people say they wont invite a person back for using one? Saying that its rude? TF.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Rottified wrote: »
    I dont get it. In a site that tells everyone they should use a food scale people say they wont invite a person back for using one? Saying that its rude?

I know-I am slightly confused by this as well.
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    If a guest in my home whipped out a food scale and started weighing the food I had spent hours preparing, you can bet your bottom dollar they would never be invited back.

^^This!

Rude. Out of the ordinary. Non-social. Odd.

Turn the dinner invite down if you feel you must bring your scale.

One meal, and one meal alone - is not going to derail the train or prevent you from reaching your end goal. Eat small enough portions, load up on the items you know are lower calorie, and then log what you ate once you get back home. In fact - once you achieve your goal and hit maintenance you will get pretty good at doing this. Your memory and knowledge of foods, and the calories within, will continually improve so you can survive social eating.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    Gisel2015 wrote: »
    OP do you take the scale to a restaurant too? What is the purpose of taking a scale if as you said, don't know how the meal was prepared? You are going to estimate the whole count any way.

Exactly. Knowing how much something *weighs* means nothing if you don't know what's in it, how it was prepared, and how much of the total prepared dish your weight measurement represents. And if you're going to whip out a food scale and interrogate the cook... well, as many have said, you don't want to be that person. Estimates are enough unless you are together constantly.

• stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    kazminchu wrote: »
    As somebody who is used to using a food scale, if I was a host I would not have a problem with anybody bringing theirs and using it. However, you have to acknowledge that a lot of people don't use one habitually...

A lot of people don't use one habitually? How about 95% of people have never used one and/or never seen one?

Everyone I know must be in the 95% then. We all use food scales - for baking and cooking long before I ever thought to use one for portion control. FTR, I estimate portions when I'm not doing the cooking, but I've never had a problem losing that way. If I had, I may have decided to cart one around.

OP, I have no idea why so many would be offended if you weighed out food they prepared (odd, yes - it'd definitely be unusual). It's not a comment on the quality of the food or the company, after all. But since it seems to be a fairly widespread opinion, I'd clear it with the host first if you want to take one.

Personally, I'd have thought it would have more offensive to have a guest that barely takes any of the food that the host spent hours preparing because they're afraid to take too much, but I guess I'd have been wrong.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Rottified wrote: »
    I dont get it. In a site that tells everyone they should use a food scale people say they wont invite a person back for using one? Saying that its rude? TF.

This is an interesting point. I wouldn't feel put out unless the person was making a big deal about it or making comments on other people's portion size or exclaiming about how fattening things are. It isn't the scale that is rude but how they go about bringing it out and using it.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Since nonexistent is pretty rare I don't worry about it when it happens.
  • Derpy_Hooves
    Derpy_Hooves Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    If you want to alienate yourself from your friends/family, go ahead bring the scales.
    Or you could just estimate. And round up, rather than down.
  • Cat3141
    Cat3141 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    It's just one meal. Leave the scale at home. Unless you have a specific reason for asking (e.g. food allergy, vegan) don't ask a million questions. Eat reasonable portions and log as best you can. As others have said, try to fill your plate with veggies as much as possible, as long as they don't have a high calorie sauce and aren't fried, even if you under-log it's not going to be a huge issue. Seriously, enjoy time with your friends and/or family, you have to live.