Do you allways wheigh your food?

Options
Honestly? Do you wheigh your food all the time?
I know it is the best (or only) way to know the kcal-amount in the food, but it appears too much for me to fathom.
And what about dishes with meat and veggies in it? And what about eating out or with friends? And what when the desired wheightlos is achieved?
I also know this could be the reason for not loosing wheight. I am not new to counting kcal, but I have not wheight all my food. It appears time-consuming and massive, which I also find kcal-counting and logging to be. This being the reason I have tried different non-counting diets both with and without results.
Sorry for all the questions - just something I have been wondering about.
I do not have that much to loose, only about 7kg, but they stick like glue.....

Replies

• purplesevens
    purplesevens Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I weigh all my meat, since it seems I'm no good at guessing the portion size...it weighs much more than I think it does. It doesn't bother me at all...I have 2 scales, 1 digital and 1 regular old style kitchen scale. I put on my dish, then zero it out, then weigh it. The ones that bug me are the portions that say "1 cup etc, 1 tablespoon." because I'm not going to fill up my measuring cups with food every time just to dump them out and wash them! When it comes to eating out, I just use the information on the restaurant web site. Not near my maintenance weight yet, so don't know if I will still do it then or not. Maybe I will know proper portion size by then!
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I weigh everything at home. It actually doesn't take much time at all. I usually prelog everything in the morning and just adjust weights when I go to eat. Like I already have my lunch in there and I guessed the approximate weight of my chicken (having a shredded chicken wrap) but will adjust the weight accordingly when I get home for lunch.

If I'm eating out, I make best guesses, usually overestimating. But I don't stress too much about it, don't want to get too OCD about it and end up taking my scale everywhere ;)
  • oocdc2
    oocdc2 Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Yes, when at all possible.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    mds438 wrote: »
    I know it is the best (or only) way to know the kcal-amount in the food, but it appears too much for me to fathom.
    And what about dishes with meat and veggies in it? And what about eating out or with friends? And what when the desired wheightlos is achieved?
    I also know this could be the reason for not loosing wheight. I am not new to counting kcal, but I have not wheight all my food. It appears time-consuming and massive, which I also find kcal-counting and logging to be. This being the reason I have tried different non-counting diets both with and without results.
    Sorry for all the questions - just something I have been wondering about.

When I'm at home, yes. Otherwise, nope. But I eat at home 90% of the time.

It's really not that time consuming to weigh though - all you do is put your plate on a scale and hit a button. That's it. It's annoying when making dishes though, but I'd still rather do that and know how much I'm eating than having to guess and potentially be completely off.
  • Jams009
    Jams009 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Yup, I weigh everything. I rarely eat out these days so 99% of my diet is homemade by me. So everything gets weighed.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    No. I don't weigh everything I eat all the time. I do log everything as best I can. I prelog my food for the whole day every morning. It takes very little time usually and then I just eat the amount I logged.
    I weigh stuff when I am home. I usually eat all of my meals except one per week prepared from home.
    When I am home I definitely weigh yogurt, meats, cheese, nuts, etc. I don't stress about weighing out the spinach for my salad though.
    A food scale is a handy tool. Logging food and drink is a handy tool. My weight loss has been more succesful and consistant using these tools. People lose and maintain weight without doing these things. If you are struggling though give them a few months trial and it might make things easier.
  • Shazr2
    Shazr2 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    95% of mine. I get lazy when using milk for tea but weigh my cereal milk. I only have at most 2 per day, sometimes don't have any so not stressing over it
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    mds438 wrote: »

No, because I am not currently logging (been at maintenance for a while, although I may choose to lose more).

When I was, I did not weigh foods at restaurants or meals at friends or some things I sometimes bought or brought for lunch (I'd estimate fruit and veg sometimes if I brought it to work or bought it on the go or use the calorie count from a lunch place or off a protein bar or container of yogurt).
    I know it is the best (or only) way to know the kcal-amount in the food, but it appears too much for me to fathom. And what about dishes with meat and veggies in it? And what about eating out or with friends? And what when the desired wheightlos is achieved?

Two things:

(1) If you don't want to weigh, you may not need to. I lost weight initially without weighing and have in the past. There are ways to estimate and just adjust if you seem to be estimating too low.

(2) I think you are mistaken as to how difficult or burdensome weighing is, however. I switched to weighing in part because I was undereating and wanted to assure myself I could loosen up on my food choices, but also because I find it a lot easier than having to estimate everything and certainly preferable to measuring cups. Also, most of what I eat is homecooked foods like meat and vegetables, and those don't come with a package and calorie information, so weighing is just as easy--when logging I use the USDA entries and weigh when I'm cooking as part of the preparation. It adds no time and is fun.

Simply writing down what you eat and then making an effort to cut back/reduce portions of higher cal foods can work for some (I've done this in the past). The main thing for many is being mindful of what you eat.
  • Wicked_Seraph
    Wicked_Seraph Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    This will depend on who you ask. Many people weight every single thing they eat at home... I am not one of them. I try to weigh as often as possible but I find many entries in MFP go by amount or cups rather than gram weights.

I try to do the best I can but no one's perfect!
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    Not at all. First of all, it isn't practical as I'm not in control of everything I eat (restaurants, over at families/friends). Secondly, for packaged easily countable uniform goods (single slice of cheese, single serve candy bar in a wrapper, etc...) I figure it is close enough most of the time and I'm getting the results I expect so it must be close enough. Everything else gets weighed.

If I wasn't getting the results I expect I would weigh more stuff.
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Like others, I weigh everything at home, and use nutritional info available on line when I eat out, so the best educated guess ! I find it easy and convenient to use a scale, and rewarding and motivating to be doing it and seeing the results I am getting.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    I don't weigh my tub of yogurt. Even if it's twenty percent more, that would only bring it up from 60 to 72 calories.

I don't weigh when I'm not at the house or when I'm on vacation. I will weigh fries and the like if I bring home fast food. Packaged foods are weighed if eaten at home.
  • srecupid
    srecupid Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    When it's convenient to do so.
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    I don't weigh or measure, and never did. Apparently I'm pretty good at eyeballing things, and my hunger cues are pretty trustworthy. You may or may not need to weigh or measure food. If you find that your weight loss stalls, it's another tool in the arsenal to use. You may never need it, but if you do, you'll be glad to have it!
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    I weigh everything at home. I use the recipe builder A LOT because we eat cooked meals mostly. I weigh all the ingredients I put in, log them in the recipe, then after the meal is done I weight all of it and decide how much is a portion. I don't weigh stuff which comes in items and the calories on the package are given per item, like sausages or sliced cheese or sliced bread.
  • sashayoung72
    sashayoung72 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    99% of the time at home. I weight prepackaged stuff just to see if it matches, i weigh my creamer, meats, pretty much you name it. I have a guessing game to see if I'm right. When i'm out nah. but I RARELY eat out. If i do I prelog.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I only weigh certain things like my meats and things like pasta and nuts and what not...I've never weighed a prepackaged item and I don't really weigh less calorie dense things. I also tend to use measuring cups for things like quinoa or rice or whatever as I'm not an idiot and know how to properly use a measuring cup.