Do you allways wheigh your food?

Options

Replies

• bshedwick
    bshedwick Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I really have never weighed my food. I have a feeling that my wife would go crazy if I did that to everything. I'm doing my best job at estimating (over-estimating sometimes) portions and I've lost some weight so far.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I only weigh certain things like my meats and things like pasta and nuts and what not...I've never weighed a prepackaged item and I don't really weigh less calorie dense things. I also tend to use measuring cups for things like quinoa or rice or whatever as I'm not an idiot and know how to properly use a measuring cup.

why would you say the idiot part? have you weighed what goes in a CUP, depending on the item you can get so much more or less for the weight.

I've measured out my 1/3 cup dry oats and compared to the scale...it might be a gram or two off, not a big deal...people make like using a measuring cup for something like that is some kind of deadly sin...if you know how to properly use a measuring cup, you should come out pretty dang close. The scale is great for things that don't really work with a measuring cup like meat or pastas or things that are of varying sizes...little grains of rice are fine IMO.

Don't worry, I'm ok...I lost all of my weight and have been maintaining for over three years...I got this.
  • Annahbananas
    Annahbananas Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Unless it's an egg I always weigh everything
  • lauraesh0384
    lauraesh0384 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I always weigh everything unless I'm eating a few pieces of chocolate from the candy jar at work, which then I don't have access to a food scale.
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options

I'll bite. Why not an egg?
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I do not take a scale to work. I get the free junk at work. I check that the Nutrition Facts label matches the food database and then trust the law of averages. I don't weigh the powdered ginger I sprinkle on my evening meal. I log it as 1 g. I don't weight the olive oil that I spray into the pan. I do enter a teaspoon of olive oil in my food diary and hope that I'm within 50% of accurate. I don't weigh the NoSalt that I sprinkle on my beans and rice. I don't weigh the juice of 1/4 lemon that I squeeze onto my salmon. I don't weight the ice and water that I add to my protein shake. Once I did, and it was about 6 oz. Everything else, I weigh. I get frustrated with weighing the Ricotta and the salsa. I put the heavy plate on the scale, zero it, and add the 2-3 teaspoons of ricotta. That quickly registers a weight of about 14 g. At an interval of about 2 seconds, the gram weight increases by 1, and for as long as I've waited and watched, it continues to increase by 1 just about every 2 seconds and I've never waited long enough to see it stop. I record the first 14 g weight, zero it again, and add the salsa. That's usually 18 g. And it starts adding 1 g/2 seconds again. I record the first 18g, complain again, and eat. And I don't weigh eggs either.
  • samwiserabbit
    samwiserabbit Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I don't even have a food scale.

Don't let weighing stuff get between you and counting calories. Weighing might be better than measuring by volume, measuring by volume might be better than eyeballing, and even eyeballing is probably better than not logging at all.

I also let my intake swing hundreds of calories above and below (mostly above) my target intake and don't log every physical exertion throughout the day, either. The only thing I'm strict about is at least attempting to log (almost) everything. I'll let up to 50 calories of incidentals (breath mints, 10 calorie sodas, etc.) slide each day, but otherwise I'll at least use the quick calorie feature to ballpark every intake.

I'm chronically laid back, but so far it's working for me. Lots of folks on here do it differently because that's what works for them. What works for you?
  • newheavensearth
    newheavensearth Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    Meat, fruit, and whole veggies go straight on the scale. Everything else with a per gram serving gets weighed. No label or cup measurement only? I put it in a measuring cup, then weigh it. I don't mind the extra washing.

If I'm out I eyeball it. That's why I still use measuring cups. I can eyeball one or half cup servings. No way I can eyeball a 75 gram serving.

And I weigh eggs. Crack them into a bowl and weigh them. Doesn't matter if they are raw or cooked. But I have weighed boiled eggs in the shell right on the scale :)
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I don't even have a food scale.

Don't let weighing stuff get between you and counting calories. Weighing might be better than measuring by volume, measuring by volume might be better than eyeballing, and even eyeballing is probably better than not logging at all.

I also let my intake swing hundreds of calories above and below (mostly above) my target intake and don't log every physical exertion throughout the day, either. The only thing I'm strict about is at least attempting to log (almost) everything. I'll let up to 50 calories of incidentals (breath mints, 10 calorie sodas, etc.) slide each day, but otherwise I'll at least use the quick calorie feature to ballpark every intake.

I'm chronically laid back, but so far it's working for me. Lots of folks on here do it differently because that's what works for them. What works for you?

OP this obvisously seems to be working for her.. not recommended by us in the communicnty that have been there with weight stalls and even getting to those last few pesky pounds that are difficult to get off.. this is where the food scale is even more important than ever..

Once you do it for a while you get the hang of it and it will be just like brushing your teeth, just another thing that you need to do to take care of your self!

I weigh everything at home (everything except eggs and sandwich bread.. and I have lost the weight.. and I still do it) and but I do not worry over family/friends nights out.. You will learn how to deal with events or issues that are out your control as they arise.

This does not have to be OCD labeled, it can just be a necessary thing that needs to be done to keep you within reach of your goals.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Everything at home except individual cups of yogurt, which I've found to always come up less than the amount. Out of the house? I just do my best to estimate.
  • 85Cardinals
    85Cardinals Posts: 733 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Everything but eggs, salad, and stuff like tortillas or bread slices. I try to do due diligence without making myself crazy about it, big picture. I'm crazy enough already.
  • newheavensearth
    newheavensearth Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah, and I do not re- weigh prepackaged items. The egg weighing thing is rare, but it can be done. :)
  • JoeCWV
    JoeCWV Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Nope, never did. Lost 70 pounds. Your mileage may vary.
  • crypsyx
    crypsyx Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    i try to simply because on lose grains and oats, using a cup vs the weight of actual grams makes for very different amounts and you end up consuming a lot more calories than you think you do.
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    I do not take a scale to work. I get the free junk at work. I check that the Nutrition Facts label matches the food database and then trust the law of averages. I don't weigh the powdered ginger I sprinkle on my evening meal. I log it as 1 g. I don't weight the olive oil that I spray into the pan. I do enter a teaspoon of olive oil in my food diary and hope that I'm within 50% of accurate. I don't weigh the NoSalt that I sprinkle on my beans and rice. I don't weigh the juice of 1/4 lemon that I squeeze onto my salmon. I don't weight the ice and water that I add to my protein shake. Once I did, and it was about 6 oz. Everything else, I weigh. I get frustrated with weighing the Ricotta and the salsa. I put the heavy plate on the scale, zero it, and add the 2-3 teaspoons of ricotta. That quickly registers a weight of about 14 g. At an interval of about 2 seconds, the gram weight increases by 1, and for as long as I've waited and watched, it continues to increase by 1 just about every 2 seconds and I've never waited long enough to see it stop. I record the first 14 g weight, zero it again, and add the salsa. That's usually 18 g. And it starts adding 1 g/2 seconds again. I record the first 18g, complain again, and eat. And I don't weigh eggs either.

Why not eggs???
  • Annahbananas
    Annahbananas Posts: 284 Member
    Options

I'll bite. Why not an egg?

For me, it's just a personal preference.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options

Why not eggs???
    Their isn't enough weight variance for me to keep weighing the whole egg and the shell. This would probably be different if I raised chickens for eggs or bought them from a more local source.

For grains, even if cups are fine, I prefer to use the scale. Just stick the pot on the scale and tare, less dishes.

I also use teaspoons for spices and such because they don't weigh enough to not be a PITA to weigh.
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    I weigh most things that are calorie dense, and eyeball things that aren't. I don't even weigh my Costco avocados. I don't know how they do it, but they are always 90-110 g per half. I log 100g and figure it evens out over time.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    I weigh calorie dense foods only. I measure or eyeball the rest. Works well for me.
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    I weigh a lot of things... but not everything. Sometimes I'm very accurate to the gram, other times I'll take a guess.
    I travel a fair bit for work and I'm definitely not taking my scale to the hotel breakfast buffet or dinner with my colleagues, it's really not necessary for me to be accurate to that degree.
    The good thing for me about doing it this way is that I weigh things often enough to get reasonably good at estimating when I don't have access to a scale.