Fighting Tooth and Nail Over Every Pound Lost

Options
2»

Replies

• gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    I agree, it's very difficult. Try lots of low calorie high fiber vegetables and hot tea to fill the void.
  • melissakathrynablett
    Options
    Some people are not polite, smh...this is a place to build each other up!

Op, I think each individual may be different. Personally, I'm always a "tad" hungry. But it's gotten better. I have a handful of nuts in between meals and veggies and it's helped a lot, as well as water. Hope that helps!
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Some people are not polite, smh...this is a place to build each other up!

Op, I think each individual may be different. Personally, I'm always a "tad" hungry. But it's gotten better. I have a handful of nuts in between meals and veggies and it's helped a lot, as well as water. Hope that helps!

But statements like yours is not helpful either.

What is is your deficit per day? Is it too aggressive?
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Options
    WBB55 wrote: »
    I'm gonna agree with the folks here saying that if you're hungry, either you have too large of a deficit or you need to consider different foods. I too lose weight without hunger. BUT, I've taken the time to experiment a little to see what kinds of food keep me feeling "full" and satisfied and not hungry longest.

The gist of MFP is a calorie is a calorie when it comes to a deficit to drive weightloss. However, what foods you choose does in fact have an effect on your blood sugar levels and how satisfied you feel.

Some thoughts to try (since we don't know your particular habits and style, if you're already doing one of these, then you could try the opposite. We're all different, and we all handle "hunger" different):

Eat smaller meals more often. // Eat 2-3 larger meals per day with no/little snacking
    Skip breakfast // Eat a BIG breakfast
    Don't eat after 4 pm // Save calories for an evening snack/reward
    Eat high fat/low carb // Eat low fat high carb
    Exercise in the morning // Exercise at night
    "Eat back" your exercise calories // Don't eat back your exercise calories
    Eat "slower" carbs // have something sweet with meals to activate the "reward" center of your brain
    Eat only when you're truly hungry // stop paying attention to hunger cues and eat on a specific schedule

I'm going to try high fat low carb. I was "hungry" all the time on high carb low fat. I haven't tried the keto diet yet. I hope everyone finds their best "fit" and can empathize with OP.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Types of food make a massive difference. I've had a rough few weeks and just allowed myself to stray from the wagon for a while. I generally steer away from starchy carbs whilst in a deficit because they just aren't filling enough. This proved to be massively true on Saturday when I had two heart pasta based meals (still with lots of protein), was well over maintenance calories even and still went to bed hungry. Yet when losing and avoidable carb dominant meals I have little to no issues with hunger.

It can take some experimenting, some find carbs more satisfying, some prefer protein and fats (like me). I still have those things just less often because ain't nobody got time for hunger if it can be avoided!
  • lisaisso
    lisaisso Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Something I've been made aware of... hunger is a feeling. Like being tired, angry, etc. So as long as I get my calories in set by MFP, my body is fine. These feelings will pass, and I don't have to act on them.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    lisaisso wrote: »
    Something I've been made aware of... hunger is a feeling. Like being tired, angry, etc. So as long as I get my calories in set by MFP, my body is fine. These feelings will pass, and I don't have to act on them.

is that really hunger then?

I ask because my hunger is my stomach actually is empty...it's a physical manifestation of the requirement for food. If I go too long I get dizzy, weak and lightheaded...my stomache growls and rumbles etc.

now my appetite is totally different...ie when I feel like I want to eat a couple more wings after eating 5 already...it's not hunger driving it...that would be appetite.
  • lisaisso
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »

I ask because my hunger is my stomach actually is empty...it's a physical manifestation of the requirement for food. If I go too long I get dizzy, weak and lightheaded...my stomache growls and rumbles etc.

now my appetite is totally different...ie when I feel like I want to eat a couple more wings after eating 5 already...it's not hunger driving it...that would be appetite.

Idk honestly, but I get what you're saying, as far as semantics go :) I know, for me, I have to equate this to something I've learned, called HALT- basically to never get too Hungry, Angry, Lonely, Tired. When I do, I act up in all kinds of ways :blush:
  • tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    DebSozo wrote: »
    WBB55 wrote: »
    I'm gonna agree with the folks here saying that if you're hungry, either you have too large of a deficit or you need to consider different foods. I too lose weight without hunger. BUT, I've taken the time to experiment a little to see what kinds of food keep me feeling "full" and satisfied and not hungry longest.

The gist of MFP is a calorie is a calorie when it comes to a deficit to drive weightloss. However, what foods you choose does in fact have an effect on your blood sugar levels and how satisfied you feel.

Some thoughts to try (since we don't know your particular habits and style, if you're already doing one of these, then you could try the opposite. We're all different, and we all handle "hunger" different):

Eat smaller meals more often. // Eat 2-3 larger meals per day with no/little snacking
    Skip breakfast // Eat a BIG breakfast
    Don't eat after 4 pm // Save calories for an evening snack/reward
    Eat high fat/low carb // Eat low fat high carb
    Exercise in the morning // Exercise at night
    "Eat back" your exercise calories // Don't eat back your exercise calories
    Eat "slower" carbs // have something sweet with meals to activate the "reward" center of your brain
    Eat only when you're truly hungry // stop paying attention to hunger cues and eat on a specific schedule

I'm going to try high fat low carb. I was "hungry" all the time on high carb low fat. I haven't tried the keto diet yet. I hope everyone finds their best "fit" and can empathize with OP.

I eat LCHF for this very reason (welcome to the dark side, bwahahaha... lol, just kidding). I was constantly hungry on a calorie restricted, lower fat, higher fiber way of eating (think the USDA guidelines). Making the switch to carb restriction made ll the difference in the world for me. I had set out to lose 25lbs of baby weight after my third child was born. On LCHF it came off so quickly and easily I just kept going and lost a total of 50 lbs (and got to a size I hadn't seen in 20 years!) without going hungry. Have stuck with this way of eating for three years now (even through my fourth pregnancy) and kept the weight off. I only wish I had tried it decades ago. I'd suggest you go over to the low carb forum and read the stickies there, and prepare yourself adequately before starting. They're a great group and its very active over there; I'm sure you'll get answers to any and all questions you might have!

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

Good luck!
  • tlflag1620
    Options

I agree - if you can distract yourself or wait for hunger to "pass" it's not really true hunger, more of a false hunger (be it a craving, boredom, habit, low blood sugar, whathaveyou). It can feel very real, but it's not the same as that actual stomach rumbling feeling.

Idk honestly, but I get what you're saying, as far as semantics go :) I know, for me, I have to equate this to something I've learned, called HALT- basically to never get too Hungry, Angry, Lonely, Tired. When I do, I act up in all kinds of ways :blush:

I'm familiar with HALT, but the first thing is to not let yourself get too hungry. If you ignore hunger, aren't you going to get too hungry? I think that's where differentiating between true hunger and just a desire to eat comes into play.

• lisaisso
    Options
    tlflag1620 wrote: »

I agree - if you can distract yourself or wait for hunger to "pass" it's not really true hunger, more of a false hunger (be it a craving, boredom, habit, low blood sugar, whathaveyou). It can feel very real, but it's not the same as that actual stomach rumbling feeling.

I'm familiar with HALT, but the first thing is to not let yourself get too hungry. If you ignore hunger, aren't you going to get too hungry? I think that's where differentiating between true hunger and just a desire to eat comes into play.

Right, agree. And if I follow my calorie intake per MFP, I don't get too hungry :) or more importantly, HANGRY haha
  • tlflag1620
    Options
    tlflag1620 wrote: »

Right, agree. And if I follow my calorie intake per MFP, I don't get too hungry :) or more importantly, HANGRY haha

I hear you! However, if the op is trying for too large of a deficit, the hunger will be there even if they eat all the calories allotted. Also, for many people the sources of the calories have an impact - protein, fat, and fiber tend to leave people feeling more satisfied (this can vary of course). Likewise, meal timing and frequency can make a difference in perceived hunger (some preferring small, frequent meals throughout the day, others preferring two or three larger meals, perhaps "saving" calories for the time of day they are most hungry). For me it's not simply about calories. I could quite easily eat all my calories before 10am and be downright hangry the rest of the day. Experimenting with macros, timing, and frequency has made all the difference (allowing me to lose the weight without going hungry). And I think that is very important for maintenance. If you have to go hungry a lot for loss, you're going to have to do the same for maintenance. Going hungry all the time doesn't strike me as particularly sustainable (not directed at you lisaisso- just saying the op would benefit both in the short term, and the long term, if they find an eating pattern that keeps them from being hungry all the time).

• seyhell
    seyhell Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I don't always have time to log my meals, but I know my deficit isn't that big, and many times I go over on my calories for the day and still lie awake at 2 AM telling my hungry, grumbling, angrily hungry stomach to stop telling me to eat all the carbs I can get my hands on! I used to give in to these urges, and it's been at least two years since I've eaten so poorly that I ate everything in sight, regardless of my lack of hunger or desire to eat it, but the hunger is still there. It doesn't feel like appetite when my stomach is growling and angry. When I get hungry, I feel weak, ravenous, desperate, like I could eat a horse! I snap at people, I can't concentrate, etc. I want to know what I can do to curb this monster within. Maybe it is a matter of eating more fiberous foods like vegetables, fruits, and whole grains. I weigh about 20 lbs. more than I have for the most part of my adult life, and I've only lost one measely pound in the last couple of years of eating "better" and I've never stopped exercising for more than a month at a time in my entire life. I lift weights and do cardio 3-6 times a week.