How do you curb night time eating?

740p
740p Posts: 11 Member
I find myself eating after 8-10ish if I'm feeling peckish. How can I curb this habit? I feel like this will make a difference in my lack of weight loss.

Replies

• dykask
    dykask Posts: 800 Member
    I just go to bed and sleep. However ... there shouldn't be harm in eating later if your total calories are less than what you need for the day.
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    I skip breakfast and allot those calories to after dinner snacks
  • SallyKaPow
    SallyKaPow Posts: 61 Member
    Agree - its the hardest time for cravings.

Personally, I'm trying to plan in calories for things that I like to eat at this time (usually desserts) then I'm making them myself, so I know exactly what I'm getting.

It means that I have to be really strict with myself during the day, but I find I can ignore the cravings during the day, but my resolve weakens in the evening!
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    I plan an evening snack for every night.

Usually its some chocolate, cake, peanut butter type affair. But, I plan it in first thing in the morning. If I overeat in the day my nighttime snack has to go, but 99 times out of 100 I get to keep the snack.
  • Angierae75
    Angierae75 Posts: 417 Member
    I, too, plan for an evening snack. I don't always need it, but I leave the 100 or so calories available.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,809 Member
    I make sure I've got at least a couple hundred calories left so I can snack after 8 pm.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Don't have a too great deficit for your weight (don't eat too little totally).
    Plan your meals and eat more earlier in the day, or plan for eating more calories in the evening. It's no hard and fast rules here. It's about preference. You may want to eat with your family and friends, if so, plan for a larger meal then.
    Make sure you are eating a well balanced diet - enough protein, fat, fiber - as much home cooked is possible will help.
    If you are eating enough, and aren't hungry, just want to eat, distract yourself.
  • OfficialDSXIII
    OfficialDSXIII Posts: 91 Member
    Curb daytime eating then it will be okay at night time!
  • Annahbananas
    Annahbananas Posts: 284 Member
    edited June 2016
    740p wrote: »
    I find myself eating after 8-10ish if I'm feeling peckish. How can I curb this habit? I feel like this will make a difference in my lack of weight loss.

Honestly? I made myself stop eating after a certain time. It's only a personal goal of mine to not eat anything after dinner. I do have snacks...but nothing after dinner
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 427 Member
    I eat really low calorie stuff- veggies like celery, broccoli and carrots.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    I eat dinner late. If I want to eat after dinner/dessert (which is rare), I'll have a cup of tea instead or even just water, as it's normally just wanting something, not hunger.
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    I'm a nighttime eater. I love snacking in the evening and I wasn't going to try fighting it, so I just save about 200cals for after dinner.
  • jammer1963
    jammer1963 Posts: 106 Member
    740p wrote: »

I agree with all the post above about keeping a few calories available for night time snacking. I normally have enough to have a half a peanut butter sammie around 8pm and that will hold me over until bedtime. I don't know if your a coffee or tea drinker, but I drink coffee and it will curb my appetite for a couple of hours. I can drink coffee at anytime so it doesn't keep me awake at night. I know that's not the same with everyone.
  • marthagoobie
    marthagoobie Posts: 1 Member
    It's actually scientific...when you're tired, your body doesn't produce as much leptin (the hormone that signals your brain to stop eating). You should be eating well balanced meals all throughout the day (including breakfast). I've read lots of different things about eating at night vs not eating. If you're truly hungry, I would think having a snack would be a good thing. But for sure getting enough sleep is important too, so maybe going to bed would be the best option when you're getting cravings at night! Lol
  • dlkfox
    dlkfox Posts: 463 Member
    I prelog my late night snack at breakfast and then fit the rest of the day in!
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    edited June 2016
    Water
    Go to bed
    eat low calorie or no calorie fruits or veggies

I learned long ago that it's best to go to bed feeling a little bit hungry (not extremely hungry).
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    edited June 2016
    I'm with the planners. I don't eat much earlier in the day, I'm not very hungry until late afternoon. I'm a later eater, and that's just the way I am. The bulk of my calories are reserved for dinner and and a snack of good size. Ever since I realized I needed to accept my eating patterns, I don't go to bed hungry, and I don't go over, either.
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    perkymommy wrote: »
    Water
    Go to bed
    eat low calorie or no calorie fruits or veggies

I learned long ago that it's best to go to bed feeling a little bit hungry (not extremely hungry).

^^ For you. For some this is a recipe for disaster.