Basset hounds are not great workout buddies.

Options
2»

Replies

• eeeekie
    eeeekie Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    I have a Dachshund/Chihuahua mix...NOT a good workout buddy. He also have very short legs, he's quite rotund as well so he doesn't move all that fast. He has arthritis and patella mis-tracking. I used to take him on mile long walks uphill and all and he was so slow but it's only gotten worse. He slows to a very sloooooooow walk after he's done his business. However, if he sees another dog he's got a new pep in his step and all his energy comes back quite quickly lol

222782_10150580678165287_677240286_18457976_1749331_n.jpg

254124_10150647152645287_677240286_19210410_3214218_n.jpgp
  • EdieBird
    EdieBird Posts: 38
    Options
    254124_10150647152645287_677240286_19210410_3214218_n.jpgp

Ahhhh! Love that expression! ROFL
  • Andee08
    Andee08 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    My Akita is HORRIBLE during the summer, he would much rather be on top of the AC vent then outside. However, he is great motivation during the horribly cold months. He does not like weather above 60 degrees but can handle anything down to -10! My German Shepherd mix is the best work out buddy as she never gets tired and always wants me to keep going. They are the perfect match, one for winter and one for summer and both for the spring and fall!
  • elinsofie
    elinsofie Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Surprisingly my min pin can run 5kms, I was worried Id have to find a couch to 5kms program for him.

I'm not surprised :) The min pins I know have tons of energy! Many small dogs have just as much stamina as larger dogs. I don't run, but taking my havanese for long/fast walks has never been a problem.

My dog often leaves the room when I workout on my Wii. I guess he doesn't like that I get to jump around and play while he's not allowed to join. But when I get to the cool down exercises at the end of the workout he comes back to lick my ears :)
  • funnigurl13
    funnigurl13 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    My beagle is the same way. He HAS to stop and smell every little thing, so walking him at my normal pace can feel like I'm dragging a 25 pound weight behind me. :) But I know he's happy when he collapses on his "couch" when we get home.

Ditto with the beagle! I don't walk her very often (she wishes I didn't work full-time so I could) but whenever I do, it's nose the ground and a million stops to "pee!" It's still a good workout, but it would nice if she could keep up!
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    My pit/border collie is great for runs or long walks.

But every time I get on the floor, she spends the entire time dropping her toys on me in the hope of starting a game of fetch. Then she'll bark to remind me that I haven't thrown the toy yet. :D
  • eeeekie
    eeeekie Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Ahhhh! Love that expression! ROFL

He was super excited. It was his first time at the beach lol
  • keesees
    keesees Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I know how you all feel. I have a Pom-bass and he is just worn out and doing the "flat basset" thing too after our walks. Unfortunately we have been having a lot of rain so we have missed a couple of days but finally got back out today! As for carrying him....never in a million!! lol
  • squigglypuff
    squigglypuff Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    my bullmastiff is THE WORST. sometimes he'll stop in the middle of a walk, lay down, and refuse to move. i have to call someone to come around with a car because there is NO WAY i'm carrying a 140lb dog.
  • EdieBird
    EdieBird Posts: 38
    Options
    my bullmastiff is THE WORST. sometimes he'll stop in the middle of a walk, lay down, and refuse to move. i have to call someone to come around with a car because there is NO WAY i'm carrying a 140lb dog.

I call Mastiffs speedbumps...there's one that visits the nursing home where I work, a lovely therapy dog named George. When his owners says it's time to leave, he'll literally lie down across the hallway (usually at lunchtime when the residents are trying to get to their dining rooms) until someone bribes him to move. His owner usually has to tell him they'll go see a specific person, who gives George massages, before he'll budge. It's like a flat Basset times three. LOL