Gained it all back!

Options
heathershaw4785
heathershaw4785 Posts: 30 Member
edited June 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
I am writing this with the hopes of getting the support I need to succeed again. I am 31 years old and started my weight loss journey at 23 when I lost thirty pounds the first time. I had gone from a size 14 to a size 8 and did okay for a while. I reverted back to my old habits (not tracking, large portions, regular alcohol consumption, dessert nightly...) and a few years later I was in the same boat, another 20+ pounds to lose. That was in 2012 and I decided to join weight watchers. A year later I had met my goal weight four months shy of my wedding. Now fast forward three years later and I am a few pounds away from my heaviest... again.

I stopped attending weight watcher meetings after I reached my lifetime goal because I wanted to focus on eating healthy not just counting points. That didn't last long and I began eating big portions and not making smart choices. However, I was still weighing myself and getting moderate exercise. Well that has all gone out the window as well. I stepped on the scale today for the first time in months and am right back where I was all those years ago when this journey started.

Today is a brand new day and I intend to start off fresh. My intention is to track everything I eat and step up my workout game. Have any of you had to start over with your weight loss journey? Any advice you can offer is greatly appreciated!

Replies

• lauraesh0384
    lauraesh0384 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Last year I lost a bunch of weight. I started at 185 and got down to 158. Like you I stopped worrying about calories and weighing my food. I started eating fast food on the regular. Before I knew it my weight had creeped back up to 185. I decided I needed to make this a lifestyle. In April I started back at it again. Starting weight was around 187. As of today I'm back down to 161 (hopefully lower once TOM is gone). I don't really have any advice as it's going to be a test for me. I just need to have the strength to make it a lifestyle change once and for all.
  • vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    I think the key here is finding a plan that works for you. When you "diet," do you cut out foods all together? Typically that is the biggest weight loss foul yo-yo dieters make. What it essentially comes down to is that you need to create a lifestyle you can live the rest of your life, not just when you hit goal. Most say that maintenance is harder than losing. I think all of us have been in your shoes at least once. You clearly know how to lose. But you will need a plan for after that.
  • heathershaw4785
    Options
    Thank you for your reply @lauraesh0384
    When you say a lifestyle change do you mean tracking everything you eat? I realize my biggest downfall is in the evening where I do a lot of snacking in front of the T.V.
  • heathershaw4785
    Options
    Thank you @vespiquenn
    That reminds me of a saying, "fail to plan, plan to fail". I have definitely been guilty of that. The feedback is much appreciated and it actually helps to know more have been in this same position.
  • NatalieLJ
    NatalieLJ Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    This is me exactly, total yo-yo dieter. This time I'm taking it slowly, tracking everything I eat, exercising more and generally just making healthier choices. I think I will need to always use MFP even once I reach target, to maintain, but that's ok. This time I also aim to keep weighing myself regularly to keep myself in check, rather than falling off the wagon hard and living in denial!
  • megzchica23
    megzchica23 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I have been in the same boat as you. I have gone up and down in weight a few times. The last time I lost weight it wasn't even by trying. I had my gallbladder removed and found out I had IBS and hiatal hernia and struggled to keep food down. When I finally got to eating again I overdid it and shot up to 182lbs, my heaviest. I have completely revamped my diet. I have found ways to eat fun stuff and not feel deprived. For me this time it is easier because of my stomach problems. I feel so crappy after I eat the wrong stuff it makes me not want to. But I am also going slow. I'm counting and being harder on myself on the week days and being less strict on the weekends. This way I don't ever feel like I'm missing out. And because the weight lose is going a bit slower, I will be building these habits for longer before I meet goal weight. I may stop weighing and counting everything but I have gotten into a good habit of cooking now and everything I make because of my stomach restrictions are pretty low calorie. So I think I can do it.

Just believe in yourself. Make a choice and stick with it. Find a balance that works for you where you can eat right without feeling like it is a lot of work or effort.
  • heathershaw4785
    Options
    Yes @NatalieLJ I have definitely been living in denial!! Thank you for your feedback. Do you weigh once a week?
  • CorneliusPhoton
    CorneliusPhoton Posts: 965 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I am getting close to maintenance and it scares the crap out of me. I don't want to regain again. I've been telling myself the following to make sure I stay in the right mindset:

To lose weight, you need to maintain a calorie deficit. You do this by counting calories in, and making sure that they are less than your TDEE (calories out).

To maintain your goal weight, you need to maintain eating calories at (or below) your TDEE. Forever. Regularly eating above your TDEE causes weight gain. Prioritize this lifestyle change to eat and move to maintain your goal weight body forever. ETA: going back to old habits is equivalent to eating to get your heavy weight body back and maintain it that way.
  • cwagar123
    cwagar123 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I am writing this with the hopes of getting the support I need to succeed again. I am 31 years old and started my weight loss journey at 23 when I lost thirty pounds the first time. I had gone from a size 14 to a size 8 and did okay for a while. I reverted back to my old habits (not tracking, large portions, regular alcohol consumption, dessert nightly...) and a few years later I was in the same boat, another 20+ pounds to lose. That was in 2012 and I decided to join weight watchers. A year later I had met my goal weight four months shy of my wedding. Now fast forward three years later and I am a few pounds away from my heaviest... again.

I stopped attending weight watcher meetings after I reached my lifetime goal because I wanted to focus on eating healthy not just counting points. That didn't last long and I began eating big portions and not making smart choices. However, I was still weighing myself and getting moderate exercise. Well that has all gone out the window as well. I stepped on the scale today for the first time in months and am right back where I was all those years ago when this journey started.

Today is a brand new day and I intend to start off fresh. My intention is to track everything I eat and step up my workout game. Have any of you had to start over with your weight loss journey? Any advice you can offer is greatly appreciated!

Oh God... I have had to restart many times. At my heaviest I was 268 lbs. An now 195 and have found that mfp really DOES work.... But I do have to weigh daily to keep on track.
  • NatalieLJ
    Options
    Yes @NatalieLJ I have definitely been living in denial!! Thank you for your feedback. Do you weigh once a week?

I weigh daily, so I can track the fluctuations and also to keep me accountable - if I weighed weekly, I'd end up eating badly because I'd tell myself there's still x number of days until weigh-in so it will be fine, lol. My weight loss is quite slow, so I also use Trendweight to see the trend as well as the actuals, which keeps me motivated and on track.
  • NatalieLJ
    Options
    How many lb/kg are you hoping to lose, btw? I suspect we may be similar.
  • heathershaw4785
    Options
    NatalieLJ wrote: »
    How many lb/kg are you hoping to lose, btw? I suspect we may be similar.

I want to lose 20 pounds. I am comfortable around 155 and am 5'7". The lowest I have even been was 145 and I stayed there for half a second... not realistic for me.
  • tena1028
    tena1028 Posts: 80 Member
    Options

I think you just told my life story...I am in the same boat and have been in this boat too many times. I am focused at working hard to lose it and this time keep it off. MFP is a great tool and is keeping me on track. I have about 65 lbs to lose. I am trying to do it slow and making lifestyle changes I know I can continue. My weight is kind of at a standstill after losing the last 2 weeks. I feel lighter, but the scale is not reflecting it. I trying to focus off the number and go with how I feel. Ordered a tape measure to do some measurements.....WE CAN DO THIS!! Feel free to add me as a friend if you would like!

-Tena
  • pie_eyes
    pie_eyes Posts: 12,965 Member
    Options
    vespiquenn wrote: »
    I think the key here is finding a plan that works for you. When you "diet," do you cut out foods all together? Typically that is the biggest weight loss foul yo-yo dieters make. What it essentially comes down to is that you need to create a lifestyle you can live the rest of your life, not just when you hit goal. Most say that maintenance is harder than losing. I think all of us have been in your shoes at least once. You clearly know how to lose. But you will need a plan for after that.

I gained back 10 lbs

I think a lot of problems is I haven't developed a good enough diet lifestyle to stick with
  • silvilunazul
    silvilunazul Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I do find maintenance kind of harder than weight loss, but also when you're at maintenance you have already reached a goal and come a long way. Make sure you never forget all the work you did, and make sure whatever you decide to do, you can do for the rest of your life. Balancing calories for people struggling with weight is somehow not as intituitive as it is for "naturally" slim people. I do believe in many cases it is necessary to track permanently because it is the only way to have a sense of what your energy intake actually is. And that is the key of weight management.
  • CorneliusPhoton
    CorneliusPhoton Posts: 965 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    When you think about it, we don't really get that many more calories to eat during maintenance. 250-500 more calories max per day.
  • shmulyeng
    shmulyeng Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I've been doing the up and down my whole life. This changed when I joined MFP. I'm not saying MFP is what changed it. Rather, it was my mindset. Tracking calories is not the goal. It's just a way of measuring while you figure out how to eat better. I find it to be a lot of rethinking my relationship with food. Here are some examples of what changed for me. When I sit down to a meal now, the first thing I do is take stock of what will be served. If I don't see, I'll ask. My wife knows that I always ask if she has any surprises lined up. This way, if there's a desert I really like, I'll eat a bit less during the meal. I also make sure never to be full if there's another course coming up. I used to eat whatever was put in front of me. Now, I'll decide before I start eating what I will eat and what I'll leave over. Another thing is not to put too much in my plate. For example, if I'm eating a steak at a BBQ, I'll put half in my plate and half in middle of the table. If I want more, I will take some more guilt free. But that way I don't eat it all if I'm already full.
    Living with this mindset helps you feel satisfied after every meal. I never feel deprived or even that I want more after a meal. Quite the opposite. I used to feel horrible after overeating at a big meal. I feel so much better now.
    Another thing is that I don't cut out any food that I really like. I have ice cream about once in two weeks. I plan for it and eat it guilt free.

Bottom line, don't let counting calories be the end goal. Use it to know that you're eating the right amount.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I think the biggest thing is you have to commit to changing your relationship with food for life. Not for the duration of your "diet". Pretty much everyone gets to goal, thinks yahoo I did it! And hits the donuts. It's a recipe for disaster.

For me (and this is really the first time I've properly been committed to losing weight but I haven't found it hard or stressful, because I'm committed) it's about not trying to lose too aggressively and making sure I still live my life. I will get off track and that's okay as long as I nip it in the bud. I must make sure not to deprive myself of my favourite foods because I need to see how to practically make them fit as I will be eating those things for the rest of my life. And at all times I will have to vigilant probably because I have a tendency to let things creep. I am great at seeing it happening now though and reigning myself back in.
  • NatalieLJ
    Options
    I'm 5'7'' too and was aiming for about 136lb to 140lb, which is where I've been before and felt and looked a lot better (all my weight goes on my stomach and legs). This time I may stop at being a little heavier as I'd like to tone up and add some slight muscle definition so I'll see how I get on. This time I reached 168lb, which was my heaviest, and am currently just over 154lb, so about half way there I guess. It's all a bit rough as I tend to weigh in kg.
  • MindyG150
    MindyG150 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your reply @lauraesh0384
    When you say a lifestyle change do you mean tracking everything you eat? I realize my biggest downfall is in the evening where I do a lot of snacking in front of the T.V.

My advise for that...Don't Buy It! Just get rid of the temptation all together. That said, I am not one to throw out food but as it's left the house I have not replaced it and don't intend to.

Don't beat yourself up, we are all a work in progress from the inside out :)