Sleep. How much do you get?

Options
lporter229
lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
1. How many hours of sleep to you usually get?
2. Do you feel like it is enough?
3. Do you increase your sleep time as you increase your training?
4. Does you sleep affect your training?

I used to average about 7 hours a night, but I am currently getting about 6.5 since I got a puppy. I have noticed that it affects my running, mostly in that I am not recovering as well as I used to after hard runs. I definitely think the sleep has a lot to do with it. Sleep is important for recovery. 7 hours of sleep may sound like a luxury to some, but honestly, I am beginning to think that I may benefit from cutting back on my training in order to get a bit more sleep.

Replies

• cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    I usually wake up if I sleep any more than six hours. It does not affect my recovery or focus in the gym though.
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    I need 7.5 at least, or my knees hurt when I run! So yeah sleep is a critical part of recovery for my body. If I had time I'd sleep 9 hours each night and probably be healthier for it, but do not have that much time.
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    1. Monday-Thursday I get 6-7 hrs each night. Friday and Saturday night I get between 9-10, and Sunday night I get about 8.
    2. I have a good schedule now but if I were to only get 6-7 hrs every night of the week, there's no way.
    3. I don't usually see an increase in sleep with an increase of training, it's usually related to food intake (more tired if I'm in a deficit), time of the month, or just general increased activity not training related (but I don't ever train that hard like marathon/competitions of any kind even though I'm in the gym 5-6 days a week)
    4. If I'm extra tired in the morning and decide to forgo the coffee, then yes, I notice that I'm way less energetic. If I'm not tired (like on a Monday morning after sleeping well all weekend) then I feel like a beast!
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    6.5-7 most nights, but I wish it was 8. I don't think my performance suffers for it... I'm not an elite athlete, though, so who knows.
  • AigreDoux
    AigreDoux Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    I average about 7-7.5. Closer to 6.5-7 during the week, closer to 8-8.5 on the weekend. I would love to get just 30 min-1 hour more per night, but can never manage it. I go to bed around 9-9:30 and wake up around 4:45-5.
  • CincyNeid
    CincyNeid Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    7h45m - 8h15m is what I try to get. And thanks to my Garmin VivoSmart HR I can monitor that.
  • LiaMatilda
    LiaMatilda Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    1. I love sleeping so I usually get about 8 hours. 10 hours on the weekends and maybe around 6-7 if I'm really busy and cramped (I go to university)
    2. 8 hours if definitely enough to keep my energy levels super high during the day. I get a lot done and I'm usually in a great mood when I wake up.
    3. No. I sleep the same amount even though I might feel more tired after training harder.
    4. If I sleep less than 7 hours, I'm definitely way more tired and in a bad mood and end up having bad training sessions. So yeah, I'd say it affects my training.

And yes, I'm aware I get to sleep A LOT
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    1. How many hours of sleep to you usually get? 8-8.5 on average
    2. Do you feel like it is enough? Yes
    3. Do you increase your sleep time as you increase your training? I don't do "training" but when I'm more active I will usually be more tired and sleep more
    4. Does you sleep affect your training? If I'm tired it definitely affects how active I am
  • Dannigreen31
    Dannigreen31 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I used to be able to sleep loads. Like 8-10 loved my sleep but now I seem to not be able to sleep till 2am and I'm up at 8 and I wake up lots also. Not sure what's going on but I'm def so tired some days but I still train. It effects my recovery but so far not my training yet...
    Hopefully my sleep returns better soon
  • StacyChrz
    StacyChrz Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I aim to get 7.5-8hrs/night most nights of the week. If I trend less than that for more than a few days I feel tired and have a tougher time completing my workouts. I also tend to get sick if I can't get better than 5hrs/night for more than 3 nights in a row (although this is much less of a problem now that I sleep better thanks to eating better and exercising).
  • rakowskidp
    rakowskidp Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    7 hours max... closer to 6 most nights. I definitely need more.
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Not nearly enough :(
    If it wern't for the stupid dog, I'd get 6 hours, but the dog has decided to wake me up at 5 hours. He barks, and I'm the only one who wakes up...

Really, I can't tell you if my running suffers. It probably does.
  • supersimonesquirrel
    supersimonesquirrel Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Now my babies are past the newborn stages, I am getting about 7 hours. Used to be about 5-6 hours broken sleep which made me feel ill all day. I would like 8-9 ideally, but my kids get me up early and I am a night owl haha :smile:
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    I somehow get by on anywhere between 3-5 hours. I have no idea how or why but it doesn't seem to bother me.
  • rakowskidp
    rakowskidp Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I somehow get by on anywhere between 3-5 hours. I have no idea how or why but it doesn't seem to bother me.
    Everyone's different, right? Sometimes I get around 5 hours, even less if the kids are acting up (I have 3 children with autism and their sleep patterns are... challenging). I get up at 4:40 AM every weekday to work out regardless.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    1. How many hours of sleep to you usually get? 4-5, sometimes less
    2. Do you feel like it is enough? No.
    3. Do you increase your sleep time as you increase your training? I would like to, as I find it helps if I can regularly get at least 6 hours (possibly more would help, but I can't imagine getting more).
    4. Does you sleep affect your training? Yes -- I find I run much better when adequately rested.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    How many hours of sleep to you usually get?
    Only 4-6 usually.

Do you feel like it is enough?
    Most the time

Do you increase your sleep time as you increase your training?
    I wish. I just don't sleep, although training makes me sleep more soundly during time I am in bed.

Does you sleep affect your training?
    Motivation and energy, yes. But once I get going I am fine. It is just that initial feeling like not wanting to go. Sometimes if I am on a lot of days without solid sleep it does effect performance and endurance.

• Alarae21
    Alarae21 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    6-7 on weekdays, 8-9 at the weekend.

It's enough for me. If I'm feeling particularly pooped one day thanks to a rude early morning wake up from my kitty, I'll go to bed earlier the next day.
  • danhib
    danhib Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    8 hours minimum, but had about 5 last night
  • Shana67
    Shana67 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    1. How many hours of sleep to you usually get? 7-9 depending on the day
    2. Do you feel like it is enough? It's enough when I get 8+. Anything less, and I completely drag the next day.
    3. Do you increase your sleep time as you increase your training? No.
    4. Does you sleep affect your training? Yes, absolutely. I work out 1st thing in the AM (5:30) and if I haven't slept enough, my energy is low.