Ketogenetic diet

Options
GingerNutAddiction
GingerNutAddiction Posts: 14 Member
edited June 2016 in Food and Nutrition
Just started keto diet yesterday anyone else on this?
Wanting to strip fat so can see where i need to build more muscle and what muscle i have. Jen

Replies

• GingerNutAddiction
    GingerNutAddiction Posts: 14 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Feel free to add me if you like and we can share this journey. Jen
  • wwfocus
    wwfocus Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I would like to start the ketogenic diet. Nervous about all the fat you eat
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    I eat over 100 grams of Fat most days i wouldn't worry about it I think today I'm close to 150 grams of fat
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    wwfocus wrote: »
    I would like to start the ketogenic diet. Nervous about all the fat you eat

If you are concerned, get a blood test before you start and then do a follow up after a 3 or 6 month period.

Or keep SFA to 10-15% of your calories and aim for plenty of MUFA.
  • allie_be
    allie_be Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I started Keto May 15th and I agree about additional salt, also a magnesium supplement (or Epsom sat baths) and eating enough (lots) low carb potassium-rich foods each day like spinach and avocado. Also I drink smart water which has electrolytes. And I drink a lot of water(like a gallon a day).

The recommendations are what I learned after the fact--I didn't do this (other than the water) and had terrible leg aches on day 4 and 5. I thought I was dying. Once I started adding in potassium rich foods (and salt and magnesium too), I was back to normal instantly.

The podcast Keto Talk is a great resource, as well as vids on YouTube by Dr Westman, Dr Peter Attila, Jimmy Moore and many others.
  • pmm3437
    pmm3437 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    --- > http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1143-keto

Keto community here on MFP ...
  • allie_be
    allie_be Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Also forgot to mention that some (full-fat) yogurts are lower carb than others, for that potassium I was mentioning. Fage has 9 gm carb per cup. I usually don't eat dairy but add a few tablespoons in per day for the potassium. And I just bought some stonyfield farm organic grass-fed which is higher, 10 gm/cup, I think.