Not eating enough

Options

Replies

• coleg04
    coleg04 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I was simply point out that CI/CO is not the whole story. That was my only intention. I made this mistake, lost pounds of muscle AND slowed my metabolism to a halt. It was a nightmare. That is why I am passionate about this. The body WILL use muscle for fuel if protein is insufficient. That was my advice to Lauren. I stick to that because it's fact. Have a great day ladies!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    coleg04 wrote: »
    I was simply point out that CI/CO is not the whole story. That was my only intention. I made this mistake, lost pounds of muscle AND slowed my metabolism to a halt. It was a nightmare. That is why I am passionate about this. The body WILL use muscle for fuel if protein is insufficient. That was my advice to Lauren. I stick to that because it's fact. Have a great day ladies!

Why are you assuming that OP is deficient in protein? You seem to be bringing a lot of assumptions to this conversation, assumptions that aren't tied to anything the OP has shared about her life.
  • coleg04
    Options
    I apologize if I offended anyone. That was not my intention. Do what works for you. God bless!
  • coleg04
    Options
    I apologize if I offended anyone. That was not my intention. Do what works for you. God bless!

I don't think anyone is offended by your comments. People are simply countering your misinformation. There is a difference.

There is no misinformation lol. Your thinking is deeply flawed. The body will naturally use SOME muscle when there is a caloric deficit. Always. Please just google it or look it up on any nutritional website. I'm tired of being attacked for the TRUTH. I'm out. :D
  • 1shedev
    1shedev Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I'm in a situation similar to you. MFP says to eat 1200 cal, TDEE says 1164. I eat more on this diet than I did before I signed up for MFP. Yes, I'm losing consistently. I've been told my cals are too low a couple times by the site. (being under1000) I'm trying to keep between 1100 and 1200. I eat back some of my exercise calories.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    1shedev wrote: »
    I'm in a situation similar to you. MFP says to eat 1200 cal, TDEE says 1164. I eat more on this diet than I did before I signed up for MFP. Yes, I'm losing consistently. I've been told my cals are too low a couple times by the site. (being under1000) I'm trying to keep between 1100 and 1200. I eat back some of my exercise calories.

SQ....1146 TDEE or 1146 BMR?
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    OP, there's absolutely no requirement to eat that 300 calories left if you are feeling fine. The body is far capable of managing even more surplus / deficit than that, within days.

Generally speaking, eating just for the sake of meeting xxxx amount daily tends to be detrimental than beneficial. It might start your appetite and you cannot stop. It wipes out your deficit (progress) when you need to have some at other time, eg for events. It might reinforce a bad snacking habit. Eating per xx calories influence your food choice and might cheapen the experience, eg can't have a pizza you've been craving, gotta settle for a 200 cal ice cream. Those are just off the top of my head.
  • RoseTheWarrior
    RoseTheWarrior Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    My only suggestion is to pre-log your day. That way, if you don't feel comfortable snacking at night, you can work the calories into your day. I always log my whole day in the morning. If I have "extra" calories, I'll work it into my breakfast or afternoon snack.

I want to be clear that I see no issue AT ALL with timing of eating. For me personally, I'm simply never hungry in the evening, but I'm usually most hungry early in the day. The point is to pre-log so you can see where you're going to be at.
  • besee_2000
    besee_2000 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    From my own experience, if I have 100-200 calories left when I'm not hungry and I find something to eat, I generally start a massive binge. That single serving of ice cream only opens up a flood gate if I'm home alone. If you happen to have the same experience you'll find using those calories the next day would be better than finishing off a pint the night before.
  • laurasprogress
    laurasprogress Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I'm opposite. Im not a morning eater. I make myself drink a protein shake in the morning to jump start my metabolism and eat every three hours. I'm on an active sales floor so sometimes I can't go back to our break room and eat a meal that has enough calories, I gobble up a protein bar that typically will have less calories than my meal would. Instances such as that are what create the deficit at the end of the day. I'm a night over eater by nature it seems so I feel like I'm feeding that bad habit by making sure I make up the deficit. I appreciate all of the suggestions and think what would be smart is to maybe have a meal bar or something quick like that, that's has more calories, that I can have on hand when I am unable to actually sit down and eat. It's impossible for me to log my day in the morning, I would end up spending more time editing it and berating myself for not being able to follow it. My snack between lunch and dinner can be a challenge to get in also, but maybe need to have some nuts or something at ready. This thread has been quite helpful to me, even with the little bit of bickering, we all are here for a common goal and feel passionately about getting there and maintaining it. It's all good. Keep up the positive work everybody!!
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Lol. Fundamentally, yes... If you eat only twinkies and junk food and are still under calories you will lose weight (fat and muscle.) However, if you eat the same amount of calories in chicken and brown rice you will lose MORE fat and retain MORE muscle. Make sense?

Question: who is talking about eating *only* Twinkies and junk food? What does this have to do with someone choosing to have a half cup of ice cream in the context of a diet that is meeting their nutritional needs?

OP actually brought it up.