Not eating enough

Options

Replies

• laurasprogress
    laurasprogress Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Besee.. It's like we are the same person lol. I can't eat the ice cream. It's sad, but the binge will happen and then I wake up the next morning hating myself, like the alcoholic that swore they weren't going to have more than a sip and they got wasted. Everyone has a cross to bear and not shoving bad choices into my mouth is mine
  • laurasprogress
    Options
    Dnarules wrote: »
    coleg04 wrote: »
    Lol. Fundamentally, yes... If you eat only twinkies and junk food and are still under calories you will lose weight (fat and muscle.) However, if you eat the same amount of calories in chicken and brown rice you will lose MORE fat and retain MORE muscle. Make sense?

Question: who is talking about eating *only* Twinkies and junk food? What does this have to do with someone choosing to have a half cup of ice cream in the context of a diet that is meeting their nutritional needs?

OP actually brought it up.

I did ask that regarding cico. It's hard for my brain to believe that if I eat 1200 calories of candy bars or 1200 of kale.. My results would be the same with regards to the scale. I'm not going to eat candy bars all day long. Since Christmas, I've had one bag of peanut mms at the movies with my kids. I know the science of cico, my butt just argues as I seem to blow up eating sugar, but maybe it causes me to overeat? I'm not going to test the cico theory. I trust that it's true, I'm just not someone who could test it or would
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Lol. Fundamentally, yes... If you eat only twinkies and junk food and are still under calories you will lose weight (fat and muscle.) However, if you eat the same amount of calories in chicken and brown rice you will lose MORE fat and retain MORE muscle. Make sense?

Question: who is talking about eating *only* Twinkies and junk food? What does this have to do with someone choosing to have a half cup of ice cream in the context of a diet that is meeting their nutritional needs?

I did ask that regarding cico. It's hard for my brain to believe that if I eat 1200 calories of candy bars or 1200 of kale.. My results would be the same with regards to the scale. I'm not going to eat candy bars all day long. Since Christmas, I've had one bag of peanut mms at the movies with my kids. I know the science of cico, my butt just argues as I seem to blow up eating sugar, but maybe it causes me to overeat? I'm not going to test the cico theory. I trust that it's true, I'm just not someone who could test it or would

Nor should you, you are doing great, BTW. What everyone else has said, plan your day out better.

I have a question however, are you hungry when you need to eat the calories to get to 1200 calories?
  • laurasprogress
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »

Nor should you, you are doing great, BTW. What everyone else has said, plan your day out better.

I have a question however, are you hungry when you need to eat the calories to get to 1200 calories?

No. I just feel like I'm supposed to.
  • queenliz99
    Options

No. I just feel like I'm supposed to.

Well then, carry on. If you feel a little peckish, you know you will have some extra calories saved for this occasion.
  • DaniCanadian
    DaniCanadian Posts: 261 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Op, how much weight do you have left to lose? The last bit comes off a lot slower than the first half. That's why it's generally a good idea to slowly lower your calories to create a slower deficit because at 1200 Cals, it's not safe to go lower than that without potentially causing damage to yourself (hair loss, gallstones, digestive problems just to name a few).
    So say your maintence is 2000 Cals per day, you can lower it to 1500 per day to lose 1 lb per week. As you get smaller, your body needs less fuel to keep going. Being at 1500 would still give you room to reduce.
    You don't have to by any means but it's a good thing to keep in mind for the long term. Weightloss isn't just about losing, it's also about keeping it sustainable for life.
  • laurasprogress
    Options
    Op, how much weight do you have left to lose? The last bit comes off a lot slower than the first half. That's why it's generally a good idea to slowly lower your calories to create a slower deficit because at 1200 Cals, it's not safe to go lower than that without potentially causing damage to yourself (hair loss, gallstones, digestive problems just to name a few).
    So say your maintence is 2000 Cals per day, you can lower it to 1500 per day to lose 1 lb per week. As you get smaller, your body needs less fuel to keep going. Being at 1500 would still give you room to reduce.
    You don't have to by any means but it's a good thing to keep in mind for the long term. Weightloss isn't just about losing, it's also about keeping it sustainable for life.

Well that's a hard question. I started at over 260 pounds.. I didn't weigh myself when I started because I was disgusted frankly so 260 is where I was 2 weeks in and was brave enough to get in the scale. Today I was 205. I set my goal with fitness pal to 185. Do I think I need to lower that now? Absolutely. 185 is too much but couldn't make myself set my goal lower because honestly I didn't think I would get to where I am even today. I have faith I can get to my goal and make an even better goal at that time. It's been 6 months now and I feel good. I'm not sure what my new goal should be. I've always been the fat girl in the room. I'm not sure what I'm "supposed" to weigh. I'm not a tiny person. I'm 5'7" and wear a size 9 shoe. I want to be realistic but dang I really don't want to be the fat girl in the room anymore. I've went from a pants size of 24 to a 16. Do I want to be the 10? Absolutely. My fitness pal put me at 1200 calories to lose 2 pounds a week to get to 185. I'm a bit scared as to how much lower i will need to go to get to say, 150. And what scares me even more is how much do I eat to stay there?
  • queenliz99
    Options

Well that's a hard question. I started at over 260 pounds.. I didn't weigh myself when I started because I was disgusted frankly so 260 is where I was 2 weeks in and was brave enough to get in the scale. Today I was 205. I set my goal with fitness pal to 185. Do I think I need to lower that now? Absolutely. 185 is too much but couldn't make myself set my goal lower because honestly I didn't think I would get to where I am even today. I have faith I can get to my goal and make an even better goal at that time. It's been 6 months now and I feel good. I'm not sure what my new goal should be. I've always been the fat girl in the room. I'm not sure what I'm "supposed" to weigh. I'm not a tiny person. I'm 5'7" and wear a size 9 shoe. I want to be realistic but dang I really don't want to be the fat girl in the room anymore. I've went from a pants size of 24 to a 16. Do I want to be the 10? Absolutely. My fitness pal put me at 1200 calories to lose 2 pounds a week to get to 185. I'm a bit scared as to how much lower i will need to go to get to say, 150. And what scares me even more is how much do I eat to stay there?

Two things. When you set your goal so aggressive, you no where to go but down on your daily calorie intake. But you cannot go lower, you have to stay at 1200. Do you use a food scale to weigh all your food?
  • laurasprogress
    Options
    I do.
  • queenliz99
    Options
    I do.

Awesome!!
  • laurasprogress
    Options
    But I didn't excercise a lick before two weeks ago. I now jog 5 miles at least three times a week. Or so far I have anyways. I hope to keep that up because I really enjoy it
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    But I didn't excercise a lick before two weeks ago. I now jog 5 miles at least three times a week. Or so far I have anyways. I hope to keep that up because I really enjoy it

Are you eating back the calories you burn doing this?
  • laurasprogress
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »

I haven't done that to date. According to my fitness pal, i burn an additional 700 calories between my run and the steps I put in at work. Should I be? I don't want to stop losing :(
  • queenliz99
    Options

This^^ You did not mention any running. :s
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    MFP is designed for you to eat back your exercise calories. If you're worried, don't eat back all of them. Go with 25-50 %.
  • laurasprogress
    Options

This^^ You did not mention any running. :s

Queenliz- lol! The running is a new development. I was too fat to run before. Now I feel like a free bird. Just tell me what to do.. Clearly I need help
  • Galadrial60
    Galadrial60 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I hear you.

When I began I was shocked by how often I was 600-800 cals shy my goal. And it wasn't because I was fasting, or doing it on purpose. I have a good buddy who calls me on it...and even suggests ways I can bring my total to a better level. But I don't force it. If I don't feel hungry, it's hard to eat.

BUT...metabolically you need it. Otherwise your body decides you are starving, and you won't lose weight because it will be storing instead of burning. Good luck with this...I do hear you.
  • DaniCanadian
    DaniCanadian Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I think you've set a really good goal of 185 to start but I think now that you're 60 lbs down, 2 lbs a week is too aggressive. I'd say adjust to 1 lb per week and see how that goes. And definitely eat at least some of your exercise Cals back.

Just for example for me, I'm 5'3 and start weight was 177 lbs. I'm set to lose half a lb per week at sedentary. Mfp gives me 1610 Cals per day. I'm currently breastfeeding so I need about 500 Cals extra (pretty much exercise Cals). And I work out on top of that which gives me another 200 or so for my workout. My eating is averaging about 2000-2100/ day and so far I've lost 5 lbs in 30 days. Slow and steady.

This is my second time around for losing a decent amount of weight (40lbs both gained from pregnancy). The first time I did the 1200/day and not insulting and didn't stay off. When I adjusted my mind set, I was finally able to lose and keep it off for more than 2 years.