Not eating enough

Replies

• WA_mama2
    WA_mama2 Posts: 140 Member
    edited June 2016
    coleg04 wrote: »
    The goal is not weight loss. The goal is FAT loss.

Where did OP say that her goal was FAT loss specifically?

Losing muscle and slowing down her metabolism is her goal? Oh, my mistake. Sorry. I'll stop using science.

Enough with this "metabolism damage" crap! It's rare, caused by extreme crash diets and not something 99.999% people in existence will ever have to worry about.

AND

1200 is a ballpark recommendation for a minimum. This is not a solid number and short women can safely eat under or at it. TDEE calculators are your friend.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member

You need to fuel running workouts or you will burn out. You may feel fine now but in the end it will bite you. LOL :smile:

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member

BUT...metabolically you need it. Otherwise your body decides you are starving, and you won't lose weight because it will be storing instead of burning. Good luck with this...I do hear you.

Nope. Not possible.
  • laurasprogress
    laurasprogress Posts: 35 Member

BUT...metabolically you need it. Otherwise your body decides you are starving, and you won't lose weight because it will be storing instead of burning. Good luck with this...I do hear you.

Nope. Not possible.

I don't need to eat them back? I get so many different answers :(
  • queenliz99
    edited June 2016

Nope. Not possible.

She's got old and very wrong info, please disregard.

Not eating enough does not cause holding onto weight! Think about it! It's b.s
  • laurasprogress
    laurasprogress Posts: 35 Member
    queenliz99 wrote: »

Nope. Not possible.

Well that's a relief! I'm going to eat right and bust my *kitten*. I'm going to eat when I'm hungry. Makes sense right?
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 wrote: »

Nope. Not possible.

Well that's a relief! I'm going to eat right and bust my *kitten*. I'm going to eat when I'm hungry. Makes sense right?

High five!
  • amyepdx
    amyepdx Posts: 750 Member
    I agree - I think it's time to start thinking about moving to 1 lb a week now that you have less to lose. It will be more sustainable and it will fuel your running. I started out at your weight but I only set my deficit at 1 lb a week. The first 60 (like you) were closer to 2 lbs a week because of exercise (eating back about 1/2). You'll eventually get down to 1200 again. I'm at 1300 at 189 (although I'm 5'5") and will soon enough have to switch to 1/2 a week to keep fueling my workouts and not burn out. You've already come so far - you've got this!
  • coleg04
    coleg04 Posts: 126 Member
    capaul42 wrote: »
    Timing doesn't matter for weight loss, but if your goal is 1200, you should definitely be eating to that. Treat yourself a little :)

It absolutely does! Calorie in/calorie out is good but it's been scientifically proven blood sugar plays an ENORMOUS role as well, especially for individuals who are diabetic or even insulin resistant. I'm sorry but this was awful advice.

It absolutely does not. Your body doesn't see the clock, your body doesn't know what time it is. According to you, I'm lying about losing over 80lbs since July and I'm hallucinating the weight loss of my night shift friend.

OP already agreed with my point on this matter. Some people are more sensitive to sugar than others. Sugar eaten before bed will not be burned for fuel. Sugar eaten before exercise will be burned quickly. You will notice that as your BF% lowers these things come in to play much, much more. Good luck!
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Op, how much weight do you have left to lose? The last bit comes off a lot slower than the first half. That's why it's generally a good idea to slowly lower your calories to create a slower deficit because at 1200 Cals, it's not safe to go lower than that without potentially causing damage to yourself (hair loss, gallstones, digestive problems just to name a few).
    So say your maintence is 2000 Cals per day, you can lower it to 1500 per day to lose 1 lb per week. As you get smaller, your body needs less fuel to keep going. Being at 1500 would still give you room to reduce.
    You don't have to by any means but it's a good thing to keep in mind for the long term. Weightloss isn't just about losing, it's also about keeping it sustainable for life.

Well that's a hard question. I started at over 260 pounds.. I didn't weigh myself when I started because I was disgusted frankly so 260 is where I was 2 weeks in and was brave enough to get in the scale. Today I was 205. I set my goal with fitness pal to 185. Do I think I need to lower that now? Absolutely. 185 is too much but couldn't make myself set my goal lower because honestly I didn't think I would get to where I am even today. I have faith I can get to my goal and make an even better goal at that time. It's been 6 months now and I feel good. I'm not sure what my new goal should be. I've always been the fat girl in the room. I'm not sure what I'm "supposed" to weigh. I'm not a tiny person. I'm 5'7" and wear a size 9 shoe. I want to be realistic but dang I really don't want to be the fat girl in the room anymore. I've went from a pants size of 24 to a 16. Do I want to be the 10? Absolutely. My fitness pal put me at 1200 calories to lose 2 pounds a week to get to 185. I'm a bit scared as to how much lower i will need to go to get to say, 150. And what scares me even more is how much do I eat to stay there?
    I think you've set a really good goal of 185 to start but I think now that you're 60 lbs down, 2 lbs a week is too aggressive. I'd say adjust to 1 lb per week and see how that goes. And definitely eat at least some of your exercise Cals back.

There is a difference between your goal weight and your weekly weight loss goal. You don't really need to worry about a goal weight- you can figure that out as you go along- but your weekly weight loss goal determines your calorie allowance, and at 205 now, 2 lb/week is likely too aggressive. Try 1.5 and see how that goes.

As to your original question, I wouldn't feel compelled to eat when you are not actually hungry, but you don't want to make a habit of <1200 calorie days. I'm guessing before you started, you never had trouble eating over 1000 calories, so just make sure it's not a disordered eating thing where you start deriving pleasure from going as low as you can go. You've done a great job! Just remember this is a long journey and there's no rush ;)
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,200 Member
    Timing doesn't matter for weight loss, but if your goal is 1200, you should definitely be eating to that. Treat yourself a little :)

It absolutely does! Calorie in/calorie out is good but it's been scientifically proven blood sugar plays an ENORMOUS role as well, especially for individuals who are diabetic or even insulin resistant. I'm sorry but this was awful advice.

It absolutely does not. Your body doesn't see the clock, your body doesn't know what time it is. According to you, I'm lying about losing over 80lbs since July and I'm hallucinating the weight loss of my night shift friend.

OP already agreed with my point on this matter. Some people are more sensitive to sugar than others. Sugar eaten before bed will not be burned for fuel. Sugar eaten before exercise will be burned quickly. You will notice that as your BF% lowers these things come in to play much, much more. Good luck!

Just because one person agreed with you doesn't make what you believe true. Your body will burn any calories you consume for fuel regardless of whether or not they are sugar and if my body stops burning fuel at bedtime it's called death.
  • vczK2t
    vczK2t Posts: 309 Member
    EAT ALL YOUR DAILY CALORIES, especially since it's the minimum 1200. you need to boost your other meals throughout the day, busy or not
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited June 2016
    Yes I'm sure. I log everything I eat. And it's not always 900. But on the days I only get to that, should I eat to get to my 1200 even if it's later in the evening?

You log but do you use a food scale to weigh all foods? Measuring cups and spoons aren't accurate for foods that aren't liquids, even oils and condiments. Congrats on 60 lbs down!

Edit: oops, I forgot to add that if that is an accurate calorie count then yes you should eat. Going under 1200 is not good for you. Have a snack you enjoy! If I have room left I'll have a peanut butter toast or a couple of cookies, depending how much room there is.
    Time of day doesn't matter for Weightloss.
    This. Do you use a food scale? Even ore packaged items can be off by about 20%.

What? No, it wasn't awful advice. Stop it.
    I've lost over 80lbs eating when the heck I want and what the heck i want. Sometimes I even eat 1hr before bed. So what? I'm losing fat...my body fat % is going down. I do resistance training, too....but i watch my protien. And, OP isn't diabetic.

I apologize if I offended anyone. That was not my intention. Do what works for you. God bless!

I don't think anyone is offended by your comments. People are simply countering your misinformation. There is a difference.

There is no misinformation lol. Your thinking is deeply flawed. The body will naturally use SOME muscle when there is a caloric deficit. Always. Please just google it or look it up on any nutritional website. I'm tired of being attacked for the TRUTH. I'm out. :D
    You were telling OP to not eat carbs before bed. Come on, that's bro science. I eat carbs before bed and have lost over 80lbs.... I watch my protein and do weights/resistance training. My body fat % is going down. So....?
  • coleg04
    coleg04 Posts: 126 Member
    Cerise, you clearly have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. What has worked for you thus far may not work for everyone ESPECIALLY if you had 80 pounds to lose. It's easy to lose extra body fat when you are over 20%BF. I lost 50 and it got a hell of a lot harder as my BF came down.

Some people, (LIKE OP HAS CLEARLY STATED lol) are more sensitive to sugar than others. This is common knowledge.

As far as sugars before bed, you are so unbelievably wrong its laughable. Sugars spike insulin. Insulin spikes lead to fat storage in everyone but in the extra sensitive it leads to a lot more. You cannot contest that, as it's common knowledge. However, if a person exercises the insulin spike will not happen because the body will have a much easier time burning the sugar. (Also common knowledge). This is not Broscience this is basic nutrition.

The truth will set you free. Even if it pisses you off it's still the truth. Have a blessed day!

MIC DROP