Are you on 1200 calories Day?

Hi new to this calorie count and was wondering on what other meals plans are like ?was thinking of 300 for breakfast/lunch 400 dinner and rest snacks not to sure any help?thanks

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    1200 is the starting number (MFP's minimum). If you exercise, plan on eating 50-75% of exercise calories back (that' how MFP is designed).
  • TitaniaEcks
    TitaniaEcks Posts: 351 Member
    edited June 2016
    I don't believe in snacks. They just reinforce food obsession and the habit of always having food in your hand or mouth. (Spoiler alert: that's a fat people habit. Notice that skinny people don't generally go around town with a bag of food in their pocket, or watch movies with a bowl of food on their lap.) Food is for mealtimes.

If I were on a 1200/day diet, I would go 400/400/400 or 300/400/500 and make sure that each meal contained adequate protein and healthy fats, and very little simple carbs, so that I wouldn't get hungry until the next mealtime.
  • WendyLaubach
    WendyLaubach Posts: 518 Member
    I don't snack, and I don't eat back my exercise calories, either. I skip breakfast, have a light lunch, and get most of my daily 1200 calories for dinner around 6pm. That's it for the evening. At 5'5" and currently 170 lbs., with moderate exercise, this lets me lose about 9 lbs. a month (down 75 so far). So if I'm breaking all the rules, well, there you are, but I feel great.
  • RanaSimon
    RanaSimon Posts: 73 Member
    I don't really regiment my calories by meal. I keep a close eye on my portions and food labels and just compensate per meal as the day goes by. But on average, I probably do 300-400 for breakfast, 200-350 for lunch, and wrap up the rest in dinner and an evening treat maybe. I do eat back most of my workout calories, which probably has me on a more slow and steady pace than necessary, but if I go over for dinner, I just make sure to work it off before bed.
  • JustAnotherCog
    JustAnotherCog Posts: 2 Member
    I didn't plan it but my pattern is 300, 400, 500. It works for me But, I could imagine it the other way around too (500, 400, 300). For me the challenge is getting the space throughout the day right (e.g., same sort of gap between breakfast and lunch, and lunch and dinner, and dinner and bed).
  • radioheaded86
    radioheaded86 Posts: 13 Member
    edited June 2016
    when trying to lose, i do about 900-950 calories a day and nothing except water after 6pm...and the loss is pretty quick...definitely can't be done for very long periods
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    I am on 1200 and I divide my food into 6 little meals.
  • thiosulfate
    thiosulfate Posts: 262 Member
    when trying to lose, i do about 900-950 calories a day and nothing except water after 6pm...and the loss is pretty quick...definitely can't be done for very long periods

this is so unhealthy
  • radioheaded86
    radioheaded86 Posts: 13 Member

this is so unhealthy

yes, i agree with u...i was just being honest tho /:
  • kaitlinfurby13
    kaitlinfurby13 Posts: 25 Member
    I do 200/500/500. I don't really need much breakfast, but I work out around 9 am so need a little something before then. I like having the two 500 calorie meals after that because I can really get full off of them and don't feel deprived even at 1,200 calories.
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member

Same here. I can't lose weight eating the 1200 calories they give me. I only maintain on that amount. I have to eat around 1000-1100 at most.
  • shaken2010
    shaken2010 Posts: 167 Member
    MFP has set me at 1200 per day. However I can't live on that amount, so eat around 1400-1500 and still have a large deficit.
    I don't believe that it's meant to be a quick fix but something long term, so it needs to be something that you can cope with, without starving yourself.
  • slava977
    slava977 Posts: 20 Member
    I eat all of my exercise calories... I set my goal as 1300 but if I burn 400 - I eat 1700 that day. I started my program 2 weeks ago - so I'll see if it works for me. I'd like to lose 1lbs of fat per week. In the past, I used to go on crash diets and would lose the weight, however as soon as I would start eating normally (about 1,700-1,800 per day of healthy food) - I always gained all lost weight and some! So I don't want to destroy my metabolism again. On days when I don't exercise - I stick to 1,300 even though it's so bloody hard!
  • crystal_senpai
    crystal_senpai Posts: 2 Member
    always good to eat a bit more! otherwise on the longterm your metabolism will stuff up :// and we dont want that happening!
  • KmStephan
    KmStephan Posts: 2 Member
    perkymommy wrote: »

Same here. I can't lose weight eating the 1200 calories they give me. I only maintain on that amount. I have to eat around 1000-1100 at most.

That's me too. Usually, what I do is split up the 1200 throughout the day. Mostly fruit and veggies, and a lean meat for dinner. I'm averaging about 300-400 calories per meal. And if I'm under, then I allow myself to have a snack. What I have noticed though, is that even if I'm under the 1200 calories in a day, if I'm eating high fat or processed foods, I weigh more the next day. If it's 1200 calories in fruit, veggies, and lean meats, then my weight goes down (this despite the calorie intake). So from my angle, it's as much of what you eat, as well as how many calories u eat. It should be a balance of both. If I know that Ive gotten close to the 1200 mark or over (since I don't lose on 1200 a day), then I will do about 30 minutes or so of exercise. The nutrition part of the diary is wonderful for trying to stick with healthy eating and a good learning tool. I think the key components is changing to healthier habits, that way it will be more long term. Haha but I still struggle with wanting to eat the bad for me foods. Sometimes it helps to substite foods (like switching to artificial sweetener and bananas are great for sweetening a smoothie). Good luck on your venture, darling.
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Here is a forum of people on 1200 calories that I participate in. You are welcome to join us!

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10386820/on-1200-calories-need-motivation-d#latest
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    With my body reaching equilibrium, I'm back down to 1235 to make those last ten pounds + half my exercise calories. I generally 'bank' exercise calories to spend on the weekends, when I know I'll be out to dinner or having brunch with friends so I don't have to stress about it if I eat a muffin or something.
    I do 300 breakfast/ 250 lunch / 400 dinner, with a small snack between lunch and dinner to carry me through until dinner time, and another snack before bed.

But here's the thing- do be careful, and try cutting down your intake SLOWLY over a couple of weeks to get to that 1200 mark, especially if you've been eating over 2000 calories a day. It's really easy to leap into a restricted calorie diet and end up hungry and frustrated and quit. 1200 isn't appropriate for everyone, and if you find yourself getting headaches, or feeling fatigued, you might need to up your intake a bit.
  • LisaKay91
    LisaKay91 Posts: 211 Member
    I am for 1200 a day. My diary is open for friends, you can get an idea of what I eat!
    I do eat up to 1400/day when I exercise 300+ more calories off at the gym