5:2 Diet

Options
aew333
aew333 Posts: 3 Member
edited June 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi,

Does anyone know where I can find a support ground or discussion about the 5:2 diet? I am unable to get started on it - it's not easy. Seeing what other people discuss would help me decide to or not to do it. Thank you!

PS: I am a lifestyle change person, not a diet person. I just read that intermittent fasting is great for your health, so I thought I'd give it a try.

Replies

• coleg04
    coleg04 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Intermittent fasting has gotten rave reviews and it's something I've always wanted to try. I've read about it but never tried it myself. What exactly is 5:2?
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Click on the "Groups" link at the top of the page and search for 5:2 or intermittent fasting.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Here's a link to the group here on MFP: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/100058-5-2-fasting

5:2 is 5 days of "eating as usual" and 2 days of eating at 500 calories for women / 600 calories for men. So basically you get your entire deficit from 2 days of strict dieting.

Then maintenance becomes something like a 500 (600) calorie day now & then to stay on track.
  • ernestrodgers82
    ernestrodgers82 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    aew333 wrote: »
    Hi,

Does anyone know where I can find a support ground or discussion about the 5:2 diet? I am unable to get started on it - it's not easy. Seeing what other people discuss would help me decide to or not to do it. Thank you!

PS: I am a lifestyle change person, not a diet person. I just read that intermittent fasting is great for your health, so I thought I'd give it a try.

Just stay right here. A couple of months ago I started a thread that generated a lot of discussion. You probably could start your own 5:2 support group on MFP if you don't find one. Here's the link to that discussion community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10349617/fasting-diets-are-gaining-acceptance#latest. Good Luck!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Hi,

Just stay right here. A couple of months ago I started a thread that generated a lot of discussion. You probably could start your own 5:2 support group on MFP if you don't find one. Here's the link to that discussion community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10349617/fasting-diets-are-gaining-acceptance#latest. Good Luck!

Link to 5:2 group (again): http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/100058-5-2-fasting
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    Hi,

Link to 5:2 group (again): http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/100058-5-2-fasting

And this one...
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/8628-5-2-diet
  • aew333
    aew333 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!!
  • tashygolean730
    tashygolean730 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    There are also a lot of 5:2, 4:3, and alternate day fasting groups on facebook. I do alternate day fasting, up to 500 cals one day and then 2000-2400 the next day. Some people find that doing a few weeks of 16:8 (fast 16 hours a day and then eat within the remaining 8 hours) daily with 500 calorie defict from their TDEE helps to then ease you into 5:2, 4:3, ADF as you have time to ease into a longer fasting window/smaller deficit.
  • dmariet116
    dmariet116 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I want to try some version of calorie cycling soon. I am not sure if it will be a 5:2 diet or something else. I am doing some research first. I also seen an interesting zig-zag diet where you eat at maintenance 2 days then at a deficit 2 days. It keeps your body from settling into a metabolic routine so to speak and reportedly stops plateaus. That is pretty much the same premise. I am staying the course at my current plan until August 1st then I plan to start some type of cycling. I am excited!!! :)
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    dmariet116 wrote: »
    I want to try some version of calorie cycling soon. I am not sure if it will be a 5:2 diet or something else. I am doing some research first. I also seen an interesting zig-zag diet where you eat at maintenance 2 days then at a deficit 2 days. It keeps your body from settling into a metabolic routine so to speak and reportedly stops plateaus. That is pretty much the same premise. I am staying the course at my current plan until August 1st then I plan to start some type of cycling. I am excited!!! :)

This is a great calculator that works out the calories for you if you want to zig zag.

http://www.weightloss-calculator.net/ultimate-weight-loss-calculator-metric/
  • alyssa0061
    alyssa0061 Posts: 652 Member
    Options

This is a great calculator that works out the calories for you if you want to zig zag.

That's pretty cool! Thank you for sharing it
  • Christine_72
    Options
    alyssa0061 wrote: »

That's pretty cool! Thank you for sharing it

No worries, it makes it easy for you. I should have also added it works out 5:2 calories as well.
  • slava977
    slava977 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I tried this fasting routine and although I was losing weight on it - I gained all and more back when I went back to eating normally.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    slava977 wrote: »
    I tried this fasting routine and although I was losing weight on it - I gained all and more back when I went back to eating normally.

Many people go to 6:1 to maintain.