What symptoms do you have if you under eat your calories for the day?

Options

Replies

• OneTwentyThree
    OneTwentyThree Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    CaptainJoy wrote: »
    I've noticed if I'm too low on carbs or sugar I get a headache. If I start feeling bad I check my macros under nutrition to see what's off/different and tweak what I eat.
    What would be considered low carbs for you when you start feeling bad?
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    Increase your calories eaten so you don't feel like crap, monitor your weight loss results over the course of a few weeks, if your weight is dropping you're obviously fine, if increasing you're eating too much, if staying the same you've found your maintenance calorie goal. No one here can give you an exact number of calories for you to eat. It takes each person doing a little trial and error and seeing what their particular body does.
  • OneTwentyThree
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Increase your calories eaten so you don't feel like crap, monitor your weight loss results over the course of a few weeks, if your weight is dropping you're obviously fine, if increasing you're eating too much, if staying the same you've found your maintenance calorie goal. No one here can give you an exact number of calories for you to eat. It takes each person doing a little trial and error and seeing what their particular body does.

Thanks, the question wasnt on how many calories i should eat. Was asking what symptoms others have that help them realize if they are not eating enough. But yes trial and error makes sense.
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options

Thanks, the question wasnt on how many calories i should eat. Was asking what symptoms others have that help them realize if they are not eating enough.

Symptoms would be losing too much weight too quickly.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Do you take rest days?
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    If you truly didn't eat enough, more than likely you would experience symptoms of hypoglycemia (low blood sugar): diabetes.org/living-with-diabetes/treatment-and-care/blood-glucose-control/hypoglycemia-low-blood.html

Yes i do have issues with hypoglycemia which is why I am asking this question. Trying to see whats normal among others

Well that happens to me too. And it has nothing to do with whether you eat enough or not. Yesterday I had a HUGE lunch and was already over my calories and I felt like crap at dinner time and had to eat, even though I wasn't hungry at all.

• FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    When "I" don't eat enough, "I" experience symptoms of hypoglycemia (low blood sugar): diabetes.org/living-with-diabetes/treatment-and-care/blood-glucose-control/hypoglycemia-low-blood.html
    If you truly didn't eat enough, more than likely you would experience symptoms of hypoglycemia (low blood sugar): diabetes.org/living-with-diabetes/treatment-and-care/blood-glucose-control/hypoglycemia-low-blood.html

Yes i do have issues with hypoglycemia which is why I am asking this question. Trying to see whats normal among others

No worries, I fixed it for ya. ;)
  • teagin2002
    teagin2002 Posts: 1,901 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    @OneTwentyThree that advice wasn't for you, if you are in competition shape you should consult your trainer is coach.

I followed their directions to a T and now 14 years later I still look like I'm in my twenties

i do things differently than my friends too,
    Because I was a competative power lifter way back when and i maintained most of my muscle mass, when I want to loose i eat at a defecite for no more than 2 months, then work on maintaining for 2 months.

When I eat at a deficit I loose an average of .5lbs a day.
    Then I eat to maintain using this site.

But I've had a lifetime of experimenting with foods, calories, workouts and my dear coach's teachings to fall back on.
    And I do stand by what I said, add 100 to 200 cals of a feel good carb with some prote in it (milk is perfect or almond milk), if it's at night try something with melatonin for a more peaceful sleep.

• OneTwentyThree
    Options
    When "I" don't eat enough, "I" experience symptoms of hypoglycemia (low blood sugar): diabetes.org/living-with-diabetes/treatment-and-care/blood-glucose-control/hypoglycemia-low-blood.html

How many calories would you be eating and burning on the days you feel hypoglycemia? Have you checked you sugar how low does it actually go ?
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I actually did a little experiment a while ago after seeing so many women who aren't short and sedentary say they do just fine on 1200 calories only eating a little of their exercise back. I did it for a week. After a couple of days I was getting hangry and my workouts were suffering. By the end of the week my workouts were total torture and I was eyeing up the cats as looking pretty tasty. Not worth a slightly faster loss for me at all!

I know what you mean I am always surprised by those people and how they do it but I always assume they arent actually counting their calories accurately with a food scale.
    What are your stats like and how many calories do you eat and burn?

Net is 1380, I'm 5'5 and 174-ish. I workout 4-6 times a week and eat all of my exercise calories. Which takes gross to about 16-1700. Losing about 1lb per week with 30lbs or there abouts to go I think. I don't think I'll ever drop below 1300 net, preferring just to let my losses slow.
  • OneTwentyThree
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

Well that happens to me too. And it has nothing to do with whether you eat enough or not. Yesterday I had a HUGE lunch and was already over my calories and I felt like crap at dinner time and had to eat, even though I wasn't hungry at all.

This is my dilemma. Hard to figure out if the issue is that I need to up my calories or its just a general hypo problem.
  • Francl27
    Options

This is my dilemma. Hard to figure out if the issue is that I need to up my calories or its just a general hypo problem.

Well how much are you eating? What are your stats? How accurate are you with your food logging? How active are you?
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options

How many calories would you be eating and burning on the days you feel hypoglycemia? Have you checked you sugar how low does it actually go ?

I try to eat at least 2,000 calories a day. Depends on how active I am during the day and whether or not I get to eat during my shift. I suffered from HG as a kid and got better as I got older. However, after having a Total Abdominal Hysterectomy almost 2 months ago, HG has come back again to the point where I have to eat carbs and protein within a half hour of exercising or I get lightheaded, shaky, and my skin gets clammy. This forces me to stop and eat in order to continue. I'm guessing it's due to the decrease in hormones. Had my BS checked a few weeks after my surgery and it was 70 fasting which is good.
  • OneTwentyThree
    Options

Well how much are you eating? What are your stats? How accurate are you with your food logging? How active are you?

I am accurate with food logging, I use a scale. 1500 on non exercise days, if im just on a treadmill or elliptical I leave it at 1500, if I do an intense class like boxing I do 1800 but today I am over eating for breakfast because of yesterdays class.
    Im 5'6, 150 lbs
  • Francl27
    edited June 2016
    Options

I am accurate with food logging, I use a scale. 1500 on non exercise days, if im just on a treadmill or elliptical I leave it at 1500, if I do an intense class like boxing I do 1800 but today I am over eating for breakfast because of yesterdays class.
    Im 5'6, 150 lbs

Well it sounds like you're eating enough then.

If you have hypoglycemia, avoid high glycemic load foods (refined carbs, mostly), and try to eat small meals more frequently.
  • OneTwentyThree
    Options

Depends on how active I am during the day and whether or not I get to eat during my shift. I suffered from HG as a kid and got better as I got older. However, after having a Total Abdominal Hysterectomy almost 2 months ago, HG has come back again to the point where I have to eat carbs and protein within a half hour of exercising or I get lightheaded, shaky, and my skin gets clammy. This forces me to stop and eat in order to continue. I'm guessing it's due to the decrease in hormones.

HG= hypoglycemia? Wow me too ! Had it diagnosed as a child and having issues with it now again. So rare to hear of another having hypo as a child and then also continuing with issues.
    I have a fruit within 15-30 mins of my exercise as well !
    Sorry about the hysterectomy, im going to message you a little later, have some questions about the hypo.
  • Erfw7471
    Erfw7471 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Erfw7471 wrote: »

If you deal with hypoglycemia (I do as well) then what's normal for others shouldn't matter to you. Meal timing makes all the difference in the world to keep blood glucose levels even - do you regularly check your blood glucose? When you're feeling that way, what are your readings?

You should still eat in a caloric deficit to lose weight, just space out smaller meals throughout the day paying close attention to blood glucose spikes & drops.

Hope you dont mind me asking, are you non diabetic hypo, or does it happen because of diabetes?

Meal timing is a good suggestion but I generally feel fine during day, it seems to be am issue at night and in the morning.

This is something I am investigating with a dr but was interested to see how others feel.

Don't mind at all - non diabetic, I didn't start having issues until well after I lost my weight.

My glucose tends to drop (when it does) in the afternoon/evenings so I've gotten used to eating app 250-300 cals every 2-3 hours. This seems to really have helped tremendously. I also make sure I schedule one of my meals right before bed as this has made the biggest difference in my morning glucose readings.

I've also realized that my drops are more frequent on my heavier-exercise days so I make sure I eat not too long before or after exercise.

It really is trial & error and checking levels frequently will make you feel like a pincushion, lol, but finding your own patterns and meal planning will make a big difference in how you feel. Good luck!!
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    I actually did a little experiment a while ago after seeing so many women who aren't short and sedentary say they do just fine on 1200 calories only eating a little of their exercise back. I did it for a week. After a couple of days I was getting hangry and my workouts were suffering. By the end of the week my workouts were total torture and I was eyeing up the cats as looking pretty tasty. Not worth a slightly faster loss for me at all!

I know what you mean I am always surprised by those people and how they do it but I always assume they arent actually counting their calories accurately with a food scale.

I'm on 1200 calories a day and count every single calorie, weighing every single thing I eat. It can depend on what you eat. If you eat high calorie foods that don't fill you, then it will be hard to eat 1200 cals a day, but if you eat low calorie foods it can be very easy.
  • Francl27
    Options
    fr33sia12 wrote: »

I'm on 1200 calories a day and count every single calorie, weighing every single thing I eat. It can depend on what you eat. If you eat high calorie foods that don't fill you, then it will be hard to eat 1200 cals a day, but if you eat low calorie foods it can be very easy.

Eh, even eating filling, low calorie foods, I still can't do 1200 a day (although yeah, if I eat exercise calories back like you're supposed to, it's doable).
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    malibu wrote:
    What are your stats and how much are you eating a day?
    5'6 150, I eat 1500 on days i dont exercise. Yesterday I did kickboxing and ate 1800.
    I feel like 1800 was enough and didnt actually feel hungry, but did feel crappy.
    And the bad feeling wasnt from muscle tiredness.
    I'm a bit taller & heavier than you, and my goal is 1400 / day.

Exercise is for health, and a bonus for weight loss, but doesn't affect how much I eat.
    Both my dietician & weight-loss doc (endocrinologist) say "ignore exercise calories".
    Actually, they'd never heard about the concept of "eating back" exercise calories. :o

That being said, if I'm really hungry at the end of the day, I'll have an hard-boiled egg,
    or container of yogurt, a piece of fruit, etc. Something around 100 calories.

Have you tracked your moods compared to eating/exercise, so you can see if there's a link?
    See how you feel if you exercise heavily and don't eat vs. if you do.
    See how both affect your weight.