Kale! The God of Superfoods!

Options

Replies

• suzan06
    suzan06 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    You guys. Kale is delicious. So so good.

If you cook it right.

Epicurius kale salad is mind blowing. I have 6 kale plants in my garden and I could eat even more.
  • ShannonJoyce97
    ShannonJoyce97 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    As i said at the start if you substituted the snacks you usually eat and have kale instead it would most likely help you lose weight (like any other healthy,low calorie food). This is because you could potentially be cutting out 100's of calories, like my mams friend i assume.
  • Erfw7471
    Erfw7471 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    Why don't collards get any love? Just as good nutritionally and far easier to prepare.

Mmm-hmmm, right on. Cook them down with some ham & onions, yessir.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    As i said at the start if you substituted the snacks you usually eat and have kale instead it would most likely help you lose weight (like any other healthy,low calorie food). This is because you could potentially be cutting out 100's of calories, like my mams friend i assume.

That's not what you said. You referred to it as a "God". That's a big claim. Plus, it's yucky.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is about calories. You lose weight by having a calorie deficit.
    You can eat kale, bananas, cabbage soup, doughnuts, cheeseburgers or pasta and have a calorie deficit.
    Kale is nutritious but not magic. Most vegetables are pretty low calorie. If you like kale eat it. If you don't then eat something else.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I think anyone who replaced their usual snacks with a green leafy vegetable would lose weight. Nothing super of godlike about that.

Heretic!
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    Great. Thanks. No really... Thanks. Because of this thread I dreamed of Kale last night... :neutral:
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    I like kale. I make kale chips in my dehydrator and eat them when I want a salty crispy thing. They are pretty yummy. I would eat them even if I wasn't trying to lose weight.
  • scoii
    scoii Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    If I swapped 2 mars bars for kale I would save 500 calories a day, 50lb a year.

Not rocket science, not a superfood (how I hate that term), and pretty horrible unless doused in oil a roasted.
  • JonnyJonny5555
    JonnyJonny5555 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I watched a tv programme a couple of weeks ago where they had some healthy volunteers eating "superfoods" and others eating normal fruit and veg. They then did blood and other scientific tests on both groups and discovered there was no difference at all in their body's production of any vital chemicals or nutrients.

The only big difference was how much the superfood diet had cost, about £40 for a few days compared to around £10 for the ordinary fruit/veg.

They did the same with vitamin supplements and found they had no effect compared to those eating a well balanced diet. In fact, in the group who took the tablets, most of the contents were simply excreted out again a few hours later.

(I understand that there are many people who for various reasons will benefit from vitamin/mineral tablets - but that is a completely different subject).

Superfoods appear to be a very clever con/marketing exercise by the companies and their supporters who want you to buy them, and produce large profits for corporations.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    Kale has no magic properties although its very good for us. To lose weight as long as we eat in calorie deficit it doesn't really matter what we eat.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    It is possible, because all dark greens including kale contain iodine which is essential for thyroid health, the friend of the op increased her thyroid function because her diet became adequate in the minerals required to support this gland which is essential for a good quality of life in so very many ways. Not simply for weight control but more to my way of thinking our well being. In my opinion poor thyroid function is under diagnosed and inappropriately treated, particularly in women.

In general as adults we need only 150 microns of iodine a day. Foods like milk (30 mcg per 100 ml) and eggs (1 medium 24 mcg) have been demonised as fattening because of the "fat" content. Thank goodness it is now being recognised that fats are required to facilitate hormone production. If you are doubtful, please look into this yourself.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Our rabbit loves the stuff. The rest of us, not so much.
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    My favorite cooked greens, in order:

#1 Mustard Greens
    #2 Collard Greens
    #3 Kale Greens

Kale salad is pretty darn yummy, and keeps well, so it's good for bringing as a work lunch. I do like greens in general though. Except for turnip greens, I don't like those, or bok choy, it's so watery and bleah.

What I do NOT understand at all is people putting kale greens or spinach in smoothies. That just sounds disgusting.
  • Smurfe04
    Smurfe04 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Kale is very good when prepared correctly. I enjoy it quite often but it is sauteed the same as if I were cooking spinach or mustard greens. A dab of olive oil, chopped onion and garlic as a splash of vinegar.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    Why don't collards get any love? Just as good nutritionally and far easier to prepare.

Word. A little pork, some vinegar and pepper. mmmmm...