What symptoms do you have if you under eat your calories for the day?

Options
13»

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    MKEgal wrote: »
    malibu wrote:
    What are your stats and how much are you eating a day?
    5'6 150, I eat 1500 on days i dont exercise. Yesterday I did kickboxing and ate 1800.
    I feel like 1800 was enough and didnt actually feel hungry, but did feel crappy.
    And the bad feeling wasnt from muscle tiredness.
    I'm a bit taller & heavier than you, and my goal is 1400 / day.

Exercise is for health, and a bonus for weight loss, but doesn't affect how much I eat.
    Both my dietician & weight-loss doc (endocrinologist) say "ignore exercise calories".
    Actually, they'd never heard about the concept of "eating back" exercise calories. :o

That being said, if I'm really hungry at the end of the day, I'll have an hard-boiled egg,
    or container of yogurt, a piece of fruit, etc. Something around 100 calories.

Have you tracked your moods compared to eating/exercise, so you can see if there's a link?
    See how you feel if you exercise heavily and don't eat vs. if you do.
    See how both affect your weight.

But your doctor and dietitians don't know MFP. MFP already has a built in deficit, so you ARE supposed to eat back exercise calorie.
    I lost 80 pounds at 5'5" and never ate less than 1650. You don't have to starve yourself to lose weight.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    MKEgal wrote: »
    malibu wrote:
    5'6 150, I eat 1500 on days i dont exercise. Yesterday I did kickboxing and ate 1800.
    I feel like 1800 was enough and didnt actually feel hungry, but did feel crappy.
    And the bad feeling wasnt from muscle tiredness.
    I'm a bit taller & heavier than you, and my goal is 1400 / day.

Exercise is for health, and a bonus for weight loss, but doesn't affect how much I eat.
    Both my dietician & weight-loss doc (endocrinologist) say "ignore exercise calories".
    Actually, they'd never heard about the concept of "eating back" exercise calories. :o

That being said, if I'm really hungry at the end of the day, I'll have an hard-boiled egg,
    or container of yogurt, a piece of fruit, etc. Something around 100 calories.

Have you tracked your moods compared to eating/exercise, so you can see if there's a link?
    See how you feel if you exercise heavily and don't eat vs. if you do.
    See how both affect your weight.

So they don't understand that MFP uses the NEAT method meaning you should eat your exercise calories because they have no impact on your already built in deficit. If using the TDEE method then no, you don't eat exercise back.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    "Im just asking how others know when they are under eating. " The only indication I get that I'm not eating enough is the web site telling me I'm not eating enough. There was a day a few weeks ago when I was doing much strenuous labor outdoors and became faint, a condition which was lifted when I ate a banana and resumed working. My net calories that day were 300.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    At a moderate deficit I'm fine. In a deficit of 400-500 (which is aggressive for me), I start feeling sluggish, workouts suffer, I think about food constantly, I get muscle spasms from my workouts and have to supplement with magnesium and potassium, my physique and muscles look flat, I lose strength on both compound and bodybuilding lifts, and I hate everyone.
  • afatpersonwholikesfood
    afatpersonwholikesfood Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    This doesn't happen every time and depends on how much below my goal, but it's usually the next day that I wake up exceptionally hungry, and I'll notice that I have less endurance when working out.

A very large deficit like the one I maintained for a few months (1200 calories with no eating back exercise - approved by my doctor to get below 300 quickly) gave me symptoms after a month or so. I felt like crap and just generally ill and not at the top of my game physically, mentally, or emotionally. I didn't realize quite what was going on until I upped my calories and was cured! I think it was the right plan for me at the time, but I wouldn't want to do it again.
  • Fasaanya
    Fasaanya Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Sometimes if I'm not eating enough, I would more likely wake up feeling dizzy and have nausea.
    After all, this means that I starved myself, like ate only breakfast or so.
    I would also feel really dizzy once I stand up.
    I mostly don't feel anything as long as I'm full (this would be after eating lots of vegetables).
    Not sure if that helps, but I hope i did. ^^
  • willburpeeforcookie
    willburpeeforcookie Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    When I don't eat enough, I get light headed, and nauseous. I snack on a piece of fruit or nuts and if I start feeling better I know that's what was causing it.
  • vixtris
    vixtris Posts: 688 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I know I'm not eating enough if I stand up from sitting or laying down and immediately feel dizzy. Lightheaded and shaky are also symptoms that I need to eat.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,154 Member
    Options
    I am trying to figure out if I am not eating enough calories with the type of exercise I do. I dont feel hungry, and feels like I ate enough, but at the end of the day and the next morning I feel like crap.

When you eat less than you are supposed to how do you notice it? Do you feel hungry in your stomach, tired, etc? What are the symptoms.

Hope my question makes sense, thanks :)
    Edit: not looking for advice, just want to know what signs and symptoms help others realize they are not eating enough?

I was under=eating when I was at 1200 net calorie intake (briefly, because I realized it, and adjusted).

I'm not HG. I just got really fatigued (not just sleepy, but a bone-tired kind of thing), and felt like my strength was decreasing (my rowing shell (boat) felt heavier when I picked it up, for example). I also lost weight too rapidly (around or above 2lbs/week, which was too much for my relative size at the time).

It turned out that the calculators (including MFP's) underestimate my calorie requirements.

Later, I found that my fingernails had been getting brittle (you don't really observe this effect until weeks/months later when the weak part grows out to the end of your nail - I recognized it because the same thing happened from chemotherapy).

Also, if you're feeling crappy, check in with yourself about whether you're getting adequate sleep (quantity and quality), getting the right macro/micro nutrients, and drinking enough water or equivalent. No need to go overboard on any of that, but it's easy to let them slide a little, and if you're already in calorie deficit, the effect of one or more of the others can be more noticeable. Excess stress can also be a contributor.
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    Assuming you know what you are doing, under eating calories for one or two days is quite beneficial. It's what a lot of fasting practices follow.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Assuming you know what you are doing, under eating calories for one or two days is quite beneficial. It's what a lot of fasting practices follow.

If someone is already eating at a calorie deficit, what benefits would they have?
  • Dannigreen31
    Dannigreen31 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I can get a bit shaky if I don't eat enough or I'm weaker at the gym
  • CaptainJoy
    CaptainJoy Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    CaptainJoy wrote: »
    I've noticed if I'm too low on carbs or sugar I get a headache. If I start feeling bad I check my macros under nutrition to see what's off/different and tweak what I eat.
    What would be considered low carbs for you when you start feeling bad?
    I do best and feel great eating about 50% carbs. When they get under 30% I get a kind of fuzzy headache. If you're doing low carb, be sure to check your electrolytes and get enough sodium, potassium, and magnesium.
  • adoette
    adoette Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »

5'6 150, I eat 1500 on days i dont exercise. Yesterday I did kickboxing and ate 1800. I feel like 1800 was enough and didnt actually feel hungry, but did feel crappy. And the bad feeling wasnt from muscle tiredness.

I'm 5'6" 162 and eat around 1300 a day. I rarely eat back my exercise calories, but I do have the hypoglycemia issues so.

When my sugars get low I can get a variety of symptoms, but the most frequent is that I get 'hangry'. Irritability is one of the more common side effects of low sugar, and yet its frequently one that people have to point out before we realize it's happenening.

Other side effects are nausea, difficulty concentrating, and general malaise (feeling like crap).

If your problems are hitting you hard when you first wake up, the best thing to try is to allocate 100-200 calories for a protein rich snack at the end of your day. It's the old fast sugar/slow sugar rule. Fast sugars (simple sugars like hard candy or fruit juice) bring you up in a hurry but also let you down pretty fast, slow sugars like the protein in peanut butter (I'm aware that protein isn't a sugar, I swear) or cheese will hold you level for a longer period and you don't get the roller coaster effect that leads to the kicked in the pants feeling.

I usually down a stick of string cheese (80 cal) or a greek yogurt (120 cal) depending on whether I want something sweet before sleep or something savory. My issues are more reactive, so snacking is how I keep it in control. Your calorie limit should be fine as I eat less at a higher BMR and don't usually get the ish. Try pushing your calories around during the day and see if splitting them up into smaller, more frequent meals or adding in protein rich snacks helps with the workout hangover.
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    I often have little appetite after an intense workout, and if I don't eat I feel dull and tired for the rest of the day. I kind of lose interest in things and feel really unmotivated generally.

I usually don't bother forcing myself to eat if I'm already home and done for the day, because I know that the next day I will be extra hungry. I just "bank" the calories on exercise day and eat them the next.

If you think it may be related to your hypoglycemia, check your BG just in case. It only takes a minute, and as you know, letting your blood sugar fall too far can be very dangerous.
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    I can tell when I under eat (which is often) by the confusion, irritability, headache, nausea that I experience when I do. I usually have a glass of 1% milk or a handful of almonds to bring my blood sugar back up.
  • twinkles2121
    twinkles2121 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I think it would be different for everyone but a headache is usually the first clue for me.
  • Zella_11
    Zella_11 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    If I don't eat enough, I get moody. I'll also get a headache or experience light-headedness. Not fun.
  • cinnag4225
    cinnag4225 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Biggest symptoms I've noticed are fatigue and more prone to depressive moods if I'm under 1,200.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    When i under eat it doesn't take long to catch up with me. I feel lazy (just want to sit on the couch all day and watch tv) and I want to eat everything in the house that's not nailed down!!