Chafing From Running

Options
cecsav1
cecsav1 Posts: 714 Member
I just started the Couch to 5k program (one week down!). I'm loving it so far, except... since I'm still overweight, my thighs chafe! :( I do my running outside, and here in MO, it's 95 degrees out, so I don't want to wear long pants unless I absolutely have no choice. I've tried rubbing cocoa butter on the inside of my thighs, but it rubs off or absorbs. Hate to be gross, but it's not just a rash either. I have red bumps and what looks like pimples or ingrown hairs as well. Does anyone have any remedies for this? The cheaper the better, please!

Replies

• pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Body glide or different shorts.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    My first google hit.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=20188

It looks like you can try lard, vaseline, pam, K-Y, silicon lubricant, or degree anti-perspirant. YMMV
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Bodyglide is good. Or longer shorts.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    My extreme weight loss group have shared that baby powder DOES NOT work and can make it worse.
  • festerw
    festerw Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Compression shorts work well.
  • Jockimom
    Jockimom Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I find that skorts with compression-type shorts work better than classic running shorts without compromising coverage, and yes, bodyglide helps too. Congrats on "getting off the couch" (to 5K)! Don't let this setback derail you - it happens to everyone sometimes :)
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I wear running tights because I can't stand the feeling of my thighs rubbing together. The tights are moisture wicking so they keep me pretty cool. However, if you are dead set on shorts, use body glide or bandaid brand friction block stick.
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Another vote for bodyglide. Longer compression shorts might work, too, or maybe some capri-length pants?

As an aside - I'm a healthy weight now and my thighs still rub when I run. Some of us just have big thighs, so be prepared for this to be an issue for a while.

~Lyssa
  • cecsav1
    cecsav1 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    I'll see if I have any Vaseline. I know I don't have any of the other stuff lying around, and I'm not in a position to go spend money. The shorts I already own will have to do. Thanks for all the advice :)
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    i use chalk, its messy but works. and its super cheap.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    A few things I've heard besides the Bodyglide mentioned (it never worked well for me) - Vasoline, deodorant, longer compression shorts. If you don't feel comfortable with tights on, you could try wearing them and a looser pair over. Capris are what a lot of people choose to wear instead. I find it hard to find shorts that don't cause a problem.
    I've been using TriSlide, it's a spray lubricant and find that works well. I don't think it is widely available though.
  • sparklyglitterbomb
    sparklyglitterbomb Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    And a little extra tip, rub some A&D ointment into the chafed area before you go to bed and it will help it heal quicker.

• Jesi0725
    Jesi0725 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I wear running capris in all weather for the very reason you described. No chafing!
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    Longer pants I fiund stretch shorts that were longer worked best. Body glide for me did not work as well as longer short.
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    I run in capris summer and winter. I have a lighter pair that are OK in summer, but if you don't want that you could look for above-the-knee tights. If you are self conscious about the tights get a longer loose tanktop to wear over a sports bra, then you will stay cool but not get the chafing.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Body glide is great. Cheep roll on deodorant works ok too. I heard Trail Toes works great, but haven't tried it yet. My thighs rub too, and I'm also a normal weight. I wear loose shorts.

I used Vaseline during a race once, it helped but the body glide worked better.

Happy running!
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Vaseline is a petroleum product, just sayin'! LOL sparks may fly!!
  • baciodolce18
    baciodolce18 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I wear capris. They make ones better for hot weather. Body glide doesn't really work for me. Or you can find 7" Inseam shorts.
  • DanSTL82
    DanSTL82 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    A+D ointment when you're not running.