Friends can only take you so far

Options
Okay. I've been on this site for a little over a month. It's helped me learn to eat better and it's nice talking to people about things that you wouldn't normally than with those that you may feel like don't understand the problems of weight loss. I get it, this is a good place for support. But I don't know if it's just me or not but lately I've seen so many people asking for help when they are plateauing or not losing weight at all to begin with. I don't wanna play Dr. Phil here but it's right there in the post what the issue usually is.

If you make a post and say something like, "I'm trying to limit my food intake but it's so hard" (blanket statement example) then you may not be ready to do this at all. What happened to old fashioned will power? Determination? Looking yourself in the eye and saying, "I can do better. I will do better."? You have the power to say no. You're the adult.

Say you live in a famliy environment and nobody else wants/needs to change themselves. They like cookies, you like cookies. You don't have to eat the cookie just because it's in the house! The other choice is to eat it, log it and compromise with something else in the day, e.g. a smaller portion for dinner or a salad instead. McDonald's can even be on the list but make smart choices. You don't have to "give up" anything but just be smart about it. Unless it's an extreme medical condition, what it always comes down to is your choice.

Learn what real hunger feels like and not boredom. Communicate with your body. If you try a new "healthier" food and don't like it, then don't eat it. You'll never reach your goal if you are miseriable the whole journey. You have to enjoy life or what's the point of changing to be healthier? A longer life of just being unhappy?

The cold hard truth is this: losing weight is hard. It's a lifestyle change for many of us that have 50 - 100+ lbs to tackle. There is no "cheating" or falling off the wagon. It's learning how to understand your body and nurture it like you wanna keep it for a while. It's your body, it should always come first.

Personally I have had to learn to eat more. I was eating the wrong food all the time then offsetting it by not eating for almost 2 days sometimes. My body was a wreck and I ignored it. But I've since learned to listen to what it's telling me and catering to those needs, but I make the final decision, not my urges.

This site is great to get on and read inspirational stories, get recipies, blow off steam and make new friends. The friends I have on here are FANTASTIC. They are confident, optimistic, level headed, down to earth, world-class sexy people. We pat each other on the back and when we need it, we ask to be patted. But at the end of the day it's me who I have to answer to. Same goes for them; same for everyone.

And here is what a lot of people are not going to like to hear: If you are not losing weight, it is your fault. It is something you are doing or not doing *ehrmexcersisehrm* and you need to pinpoint what that is. It's true our bodies vary, you can see that standing next to one another. However how our bodies function is not all that different. If they did all work differently we would all be on specialized food disiplines and couldn't all use this site the same way. So "all our bodies is different" is complete malarky to me. It's something in your lifestyle that still needs to change.

In closing I apologize if I presented myself as too rash but the truth hurts. We all discovered that when we accepted that we needed to lose weight. Tough love, sink or swim-- choose your phrase but if you aren't hard on yourself then you aren't serious enough about this to make a significant difference. We are here for each other and we always will be. You need to be there for yourself too.

Replies

• cheesesandwich
    cheesesandwich Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Are you a Republican?
  • deb_rn
    deb_rn Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Have to give you a thumbs up on this post!
  • AUPerry
    AUPerry Posts: 166
    Options
    I really enjoyed reading this post, and I agree. Nice read :)
  • emciriaco
    emciriaco Posts: 41
    Options
    Bravo. Well said!
  • SMarie10
    SMarie10 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    I can so relate to your words. very eloquent and appropriate for many folk here, including myself. Thanks for being so honest.
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    I see nothing wrong with this post. Well done.
  • countrymom1
    countrymom1 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Bump - for when I need to RSVP that I will NOT be attending a self-pity party. :o)
  • InspoAdam
    InspoAdam Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I agree, it's difficult to fault fault with any of the above.
  • Evotchka
    Evotchka Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Speaking the truth my friend!! Friends can join you on your journey but they can't carry you. You have to walk for yourself.
  • CronoCX
    CronoCX Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    awesome job ! I agree will alot of what you said. Especially that you learned to listen to your body. That has really helped me as well! Well done on this article
  • shimmergal
    shimmergal Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    two thumbs up!
  • skinnysawyer
    Options
    I approve of this!

I need my friend to read it to kick her butt into gear! She can blame her family, the food in her house, her emotions, ANYTHING but blame herself and take responsibility for her actions. I truly believe that as soon as you can find that self-control, you can accomplish anything! =)
  • Jenny56dreams
    Jenny56dreams Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    :glasses: Ok, I believe you have just opened Pandoras box.
  • roylawrence87
    roylawrence87 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    Damn, what a good read! Bob, what do we have in store for him?
  • JDMPWR
    JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    I agree with this and I don't.

Many long time members knew I had the same firm view on these topics and I still do but I have also found myself in the binging situation and sometimes you are so in the moment you dont know what you are doing till it's too late, Sure you can burn it off which I dont argue but I am learning will power you can have and lose and have again.

I know I have one of the most strictest diets out of any MFP member hands down yet sometimes the more strict you are with yourself the harder it becomes!

None the less when I see posts about "I ate a pizza" or "i am full on 700 cals" it does very much frustrate me, like really you physically cannot eat more then 700 cals? I drink 700 cals for breakfast. Sure I dont weight 110 either.
  • megz4987
    megz4987 Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    Are you a Republican?

hahaa
  • withchaco
    withchaco Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Are you a Republican?
    I don't know about the OP, but I'm a democrat and I agree with what he's saying :)

The only disagreement I may have is that I really do think there are serious, real, food addiction issues that some people have, but for the most part, we just need to be more responsible and sensible.
  • MsOssining
    MsOssining Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    That post was awesome. Thank you.
  • Falisha13
    Falisha13 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I will just say Agreed ;)
  • Andee08
    Andee08 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I don't know. I would say 90% of the time you are correct. You are however missing one key factor for quite a few people....medical issues. What a lot of people don't know that there are quite a few women that have PCOS (I know there are other issues as well, hypothyroidism and such, but I personally have PCOS and can speak with experience to it). Before I was diagnosed I was logging all of my food and going to the gym 5-6 days a week and I only lost 3 pounds in 8 months. Granted, had I not been doing all of that I would have gained quite a bit of weight, but for all the work I put in I saw no return. Then I was diagnosed and all it took was a little metformin and I was able to lose weight again. Do I agree that people need to take control of their own diets and what is going on, yes. But for some people there is a medical reason why they are not losing weight.

Sorry, I just had to throw my 2 cents in there, but I know the struggle and confusion as to why some people can't lose weight.