Aerobic:Cardio Ratio For Weight Loss?

Options
I am trying to drop 50+ pounds, and I am trying to find the most effective/efficient way to do it. I do strength training class (TRX/Weights/Functional Training) at my gym 4 days a week in the mornings and my instructor said that I should be doing a mix of Aerobic and Cardio evert day as well to shred the fat. I am have started doing 1 hr of cardio each afternoon.

What is a good ratio of Aerobic to Cardio should I be doing to burn fat quickly?
How much time should I spend in each zone (Aerobic/Cardio)?
What aerobic exercises are more effective? or do it matter as long as my HR is in the aerobic zone?

I do know and understand that good nutrition plays a bigger part in dropping weight and I feel that I am doing a good job at that part ( thanks a lot to MFP).

Thanks!

Replies

• Dwinklepleck
    Dwinklepleck Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Spent the last hour "skipping around the garden like a fairy in a funny dress". How many calories do you think i burned?
  • helen772010
    helen772010 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys, made me laugh.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    I am trying to drop 50+ pounds, and I am trying to find the most effective/efficient way to do it. I do strength training class (TRX/Weights/Functional Training) at my gym 4 days a week in the mornings and my instructor said that I should be doing a mix of Aerobic and Cardio evert day as well to shred the fat. I am have started doing 1 hr of cardio each afternoon.

What is a good ratio of Aerobic to Cardio should I be doing to burn fat quickly?
    How much time should I spend in each zone (Aerobic/Cardio)?
    What aerobic exercises are more effective? or do it matter as long as my HR is in the aerobic zone?

I do know and understand that good nutrition plays a bigger part in dropping weight and I feel that I am doing a good job at that part ( thanks a lot to MFP).

Thanks!

You're way over thinking things.

Go for a run, ride a bike or dance like a fairy, repeat.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    What aerobic exercises are more effective?
    The ones you enjoy and actually do.
    How much time should I spend in each zone (Aerobic/Cardio)?"
    Makes bugger all difference for weight loss. That comes from your calorie deficit over time.

PS - you don't "shred" fat. It's fuel, you use it up by being in a deficit.

PPS - don't get caught up in chasing rapid speed of weight loss. Think ahead, you have a lot more years when maintaining your goal weigh is important compared to the short time you are dieting. Build healthy and sustainable habits now.
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    What aerobic exercises are more effective?
    The ones you enjoy and actually do.

Makes bugger all difference for weight loss. That comes from your calorie deficit over time.

PS - you don't "shred" fat. It's fuel, you use it up by being in a deficit.

PPS - don't get caught up in chasing rapid speed of weight loss. Think ahead, you have a lot more years when maintaining your goal weigh is important compared to the short time you are dieting. Build healthy and sustainable habits now.

This

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    ~2 year old bump, FYI.
  • mysticwryter
    mysticwryter Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    If you want to reduce you fat %, take up some HIIT. Don't hurt yourself if you are just starting out. If it's going too fast or you can't do a specific exercise, do something to fill that time (high knees, pushups, butt kicks, etc.) With the mixture of cardio, it will help you and tone up some muscle.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    ~2 year old bump, FYI.

Holy narco thread!
  • Raptor2763
    Raptor2763 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    From what I can tell, weight loss is about 75-85% diet (read WHAT to eat, WHEN to eat it, and HOW MUCH) and putting yourself in a calorie deficit. What remains can be dealt with by exercise. My experience in that area hasbeen if you want weight loss, exercises that engage multiple muscle groups in the same movement is the most EFFICIENT way to burn calories. Examples would be burpees.

Here's what such a workout would look like: 10 burpees, followed by 10 goblet (or sumo) squats, followed by 10 wiper blades. That's one set. 30-second rest between sets, then back at it

Four sets takes about 15 minutes - I'm about out of gas by the middle of the 5th set.

Don't do this on consecutive days - give your body time to recover

Last two points:
    1. Recovery time. most people think improvement comes from increased reps or time at the gym. Actually, it comes from having a good night's sleep. That's when the body repairs itself.

2. Do this workout - or something similar - one day, then some sort of cardio (intervals, long steady distance) the next. Alternate days. The reasoning is simple - you work different muscle groups, so while one is getting worked, the other is still in recovery mode.